Oh Dear!

Old April 26th 06, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Oh Dear!

I don't know if these sorry features have been posted here before.

http://tinyurl.com/lllmt

http://tinyurl.com/rkk4b
Old April 26th 06, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tom Crispin wrote:
I don't know if these sorry features have been posted here before.

http://tinyurl.com/lllmt

The first one is mostly sound. (I'll remain quiet on the obvious). Not
as nicely laid out and presented as some I have seen...

http://tinyurl.com/rkk4b

"I was a numpty and fell off my bike whilst wearing a helmet".

Moral: "Don't be a numpty?" er.. not quite the conclusions they came
to. Maybe that bang on the head did something or maybe they sell
helmets..

...d

Old April 26th 06, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tom Crispin wrote:
I don't know if these sorry features have been posted here before.

http://tinyurl.com/lllmt

http://tinyurl.com/rkk4b

Given that Halfords sell helmets and they include links to their helmet
sales page, I think a letter to the ASA is called for.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old April 27th 06, 07:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 23:23:23 +0100, Tony Raven
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/rkk4b

Given that Halfords sell helmets and they include links to their helmet
sales page, I think a letter to the ASA is called for.

Perhaps they'll be persuaded to change this:

"One morning, I was cycling at full pelt along a bus lane and pulled
out to overtake a car that was illegally parked. I didn't notice that
its owner was still inside. By the time she opened the door, it was
too late for me to brake or swerve. I slammed into the door, flew over
my handlebars and bounced off a stationary car in the lane to my
right, coming to a somewhat inelegant landing on the uneven tarmac.

"My recollection of events is understandably blurry. But my one
over-riding memory was thinking, as the back of my head bounced on the
road, "That would really have hurt if I wasn't wearing a helmet."

"In fact, other than a few bruised ribs, some grazes and a bent front
wheel, no major damage was done at all. Some kind drivers and a
shopkeeper helped me to the roadside and dragged my scuffed and
twisted bike onto the pavement for me. As I gradually regained my
breath and sipped at the obligatory cup of tea, I speculated as to
what might have happened had I not been wearing a helmet.

To this:

"One morning, I was cycling at full pelt along a bus lane and pulled
out to overtake a car that was illegally parked. I didn't notice that
its owner was still inside. By the time she opened the door, I was
passing the vehicle with plenty of space to spare. I thanked my lucky
stars that I had the foresight to take a National Standards Training
course which taught me to pass any parked car with a door's width.

"My recollection of events is still sharp. But my one over-riding
memory was thinking, as I passed safely by, "That would really have
hurt if I hadn't had the training."

"I was still mildly shaken at what could have been when I arrived at
work and this gave me an excuse for the obligatory cup of tea. I
speculated as to what might have happened had I not had the National
Standards training.
Old April 27th 06, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tom Crispin wrote:

To this:

"One morning, I was cycling at full pelt along a bus lane and pulled
out to overtake a car that was illegally parked. I didn't notice that
its owner was still inside. By the time she opened the door, I was
passing the vehicle with plenty of space to spare. I thanked my lucky
stars that I had the foresight to take a National Standards Training
course which taught me to pass any parked car with a door's width.

"My recollection of events is still sharp. But my one over-riding
memory was thinking, as I passed safely by, "That would really have
hurt if I hadn't had the training."

"I was still mildly shaken at what could have been when I arrived at
work and this gave me an excuse for the obligatory cup of tea. I
speculated as to what might have happened had I not had the National
Standards training.

Ah but he was probably cycling in a cycle facility the Local Authority
had thoughtfully provided such as this one in Cambridge:
http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newslette...ages/cover.jpg

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old April 27th 06, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tom Crispin wrote:
I don't know if these sorry features have been posted here before.

http://tinyurl.com/lllmt

http://tinyurl.com/rkk4b

Ah yes, Halfords, that well-known 'safety conscious' purveyor of speed
camera evasion equipment...

Old April 27th 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tony Raven writes:

Ah but he was probably cycling in a cycle facility the Local
Authority had thoughtfully provided such as this one in Cambridge:
http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newslette...ages/cover.jpg

I think this is possibly the most eloquent photograph for pointing
out the problem:

http://www.bikexprt.com/massfacil/ca...entSqDeath.jpg

(In context,
http://www.bikexprt.com/massfacil/ca...one/laird1.htm).

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147
Old April 27th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Brendan Halpin wrote:

I think this is possibly the most eloquent photograph for pointing
out the problem:

Oh no, that's awful.

Old April 27th 06, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Would I be cynical if I thought that the photo used on the latter of
the two linked pages was perhaps a rather "leading" image to use?
Vulnerable, skinny-looking cyclist surrounded by huge, scary motor
vehicles - I mean just think what might happen if he didn't have that
nice safe helmet on!

They say sex sells; well when it comes to cycle helmets, it appears
that simple use of perspective sells.

Old April 27th 06, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Francis Barton wrote:
Would I be cynical if I thought that the photo used on the latter of
the two linked pages was perhaps a rather "leading" image to use?
Vulnerable, skinny-looking cyclist surrounded by huge, scary motor
vehicles - I mean just think what might happen if he didn't have that
nice safe helmet on!

Not cynical, accurate. It isn't so much what you see but how you see
it. I presume you have looked at the 'factsheet' produced
collaboratively and seen the reasoning behind use of certain pictures.
Now imagine using the Halfords style of picture (but of a child) on the
front cover instead of the existing shot - would that really inspire
confidence?

The training picture is the only one which includes a car, and that is
deliberately subdued behind a cyclist,

They say sex sells; well when it comes to cycle helmets, it appears
that simple use of perspective sells.

It is perception - if cycling is dangerous I need safety gear. If I
want to sell safety gear I need to make cycling look dangerous.

...d