23.4mm seatpost

Old December 1st 06, 11:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
The Phil

Default 23.4mm seatpost

Salutations.

I'm still looking for a 23.4mm seatpost. Anyone out there with a spare?
Financial recompense a certainty.

thanks

Old December 1st 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

The Phil wrote:
Salutations.

I'm still looking for a 23.4mm seatpost. Anyone out there with a spare?
Financial recompense a certainty.

thanks

That is a small seatpost.

Buy a 25.0 and have it turned down - but this could be dangerous.

Have one made out of solid bar stock.

It might be possible to take apart a suspension seatpost and use the
smaller diameter inner post. If it is too small you might have to find a
sleeve or have one made. Maybe someone has taken a suspension seatpost
apart and knows if this will work.

Old December 1st 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

Dan wrote:
The Phil wrote:
Salutations.

I'm still looking for a 23.4mm seatpost. Anyone out there with a spare?

That is a small seatpost.

Buy a 25.0 and have it turned down - but this could be dangerous.

The old Vitus "Carbone" frames used a 23.0mm seatpost. Find a shop that
can order one from Euro-Asia Imports (if they still have them) and use
a shim.

Jeff

Old December 1st 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 08:26:26 -0800, Dan
wrote:

The Phil wrote:
Salutations.

I'm still looking for a 23.4mm seatpost. Anyone out there with a spare?
Financial recompense a certainty.

thanks

That is a small seatpost.

Buy a 25.0 and have it turned down - but this could be dangerous.

Have one made out of solid bar stock.

It might be possible to take apart a suspension seatpost and use the
smaller diameter inner post. If it is too small you might have to find a
sleeve or have one made. Maybe someone has taken a suspension seatpost
apart and knows if this will work.

Suspension post internals would not work; not even close, not even
usually the right shape.

Turning down an existing post would not be a good move IMO.

Using a 7/8" post with a 1.2mm shim might work, as long as you don't
need a post with a mounting clamp on the top. Some BMX bikes use that
diameter.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old December 2nd 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jasper Janssen

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 11:30:37 GMT, "The Phil" wrote:

I'm still looking for a 23.4mm seatpost. Anyone out there with a spare?
Financial recompense a certainty.

A candle-style seatpost could be turned from solid bar stock relatively
cheaply, and it's still sturdy even that small.

Jasper
Old December 2nd 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Earl Bollinger

"The Phil" wrote in message
Salutations.

I'm still looking for a 23.4mm seatpost. Anyone out there with a spare?
Financial recompense a certainty.

thanks

I know there are 22.2mm, 25.4mm, and 26.6mm seatposts, but 23.4 doesn't seem
to be one that exists.
23.4mm seems to be about the size of a good quality broom handle or mop
handle.
A wood dowel shaved down a little would work too.
A little shaving on the top end and a regular old style clamp on saddle
would work.

If I had this problem, I would take either a wood mop handle or a dowel and
try that first.
Second if more strength is needed is to use a aluminum rod, and a lathe to
mill it down to 23.4mm.
Mill the one end to fit an old style clamp on saddle, if your saddle isn't
already of that type.

Old December 3rd 06, 07:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
The Phil

Thanks all. i'll get on to euro asia imports before any home mods, my access
to such equiptment is limited so i'll exhaust commercial options first.
cheers

"Earl Bollinger" wrote in message
"The Phil" wrote in message
[...]

Wanted: less girth! (in my seatpost ladies) 23.4mm or 24mm seatpost Keiron Marketplace 1 August 26th 06 02:01 AM
WTB: Chainrings, Seatpost, seatpost collar MStuartev Marketplace 1 August 6th 05 01:35 AM
WTB: 24.0 seatpost michael Marketplace 0 August 24th 04 09:54 PM
FS: Strong Japanese seatpost 27.0Strong 200 mm seatpost Fishcatfursmile Marketplace 1 March 22nd 04 01:33 PM
WTB: 29.4 seatpost kshapiro Marketplace 1 August 5th 03 06:11 PM