Surly Frame MUni at UDC

Old February 20th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gordito8me

Default Surly Frame MUni at UDC

I'm really not seeing where the money is going on this unicycle. I mean
for that price the thing better have a motor to get you up the hills!

--
gordito8me

29er or 36er? can't decide
either way I have like 54 bucks so nothing too great.
radial 360 or nimbus 29er????
helllpppp!!!!
helllpppp!!!!
gordito8me's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13641

Old February 20th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gordito8me

mornish wrote:
wtf?

they are selling a great muni, but are ruining it, because it doesn't
have a good distance seat (imo), doesn't have the good rim which is the
only reason the frame exists in the first place, and is overpriced
because they got a wheelbuild from that kovachi guy.

btw I really like the seat for distance. I don't know about you guys
but slap on a pair of bike shorts and that thing is really nice.

Old February 20th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

Another huge rip-off is their Magura breaks:
At the trialsinshop.ca, I got a front set (short enough that I did have
to cut it and rebleed it) was $140 CAD, not a whopping $179US

--
Danni

leo wrote:
Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

'*Ha Ha haaaaa*' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXflM7xVLs)'!'
Danni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12990

Old February 20th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zfreak220

well you choose, you just leave your seat preference in that little
comment box when ordering. so you can get either the street or muni
seat.

--
zfreak220

iridemymuni wrote:
i think everybody agrees when i say you lucky son of a bitch

howdigetsogood wrote:
man i used to think scooters were totally lame, but after that 'video'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=57071), oh wait
nevermind i still do.

zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948

Old February 20th 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uniredneck

Also, notice that it DOES come with the Large Marge rim (I went to UDC
today and looked at it). As zfreak220 said, you can chose the freeride
if you want it. It has a Profile Hub/Crankset. So if you add it up,
you have a near $300 frame, a $300 hub/crankset PROFESSIONALLY (not
machine built) built by one of the best and most trusted wheel builders
in the industry to a not so cheap rim. Another thing is they aren't
ordering these in bulk because they are so expensive, raising their
cost on the item.

So Danni, if you don't like it, don't buy it. But don't come on here
bashing UDC because you think they are ripping folks off before adding
up the costs they themselves are having to buy the parts for and the
labor involved with ordering specific parts and putting it all
together. I mean, cmon dude, they have the best customer service most
people have ever experienced. They aren't in business to rip anyone
off, they are there to spread unicycling. *Steps off soap box*

Eitherway, that uni is freakin' awesome. If anyone is looking for a
freeride MUni....here it is.

--
uniredneck

"It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling
woman in a wide house." - Proverbs 21:9

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun rise. Not because I can see
it, but because I can see all that it touches." - C.S. Lewis
uniredneck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13931

Old February 20th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

uniredneck wrote:
Also, notice that it DOES come with the Large Marge rim (I went to UDC
today and looked at it). As zfreak220 said, you can chose the freeride
if you want it. It has a Profile Hub/Crankset. So if you add it up,
you have a near $300 frame, a $300 hub/crankset PROFESSIONALLY (not
machine built) built by one of the best and most trusted wheel builders
in the industry to a not so cheap rim. Another thing is they aren't
ordering these in bulk because they are so expensive, raising their
cost on the item.

Except it doesn't come with a Large Marge rim if you read the text,
which is what everyone is moaning about. It comes with a narrower rim,
with a pointless wide frame setup, which is probably significantly
heavier, with a heavy old technology hub (unless you get the version
with the newer KH Moment hub, it says Kh Moment hub when it's available
which I guess is now)

It's made by surly, so I guess it has pimp points, but other than that,
you're just not getting such a well thought out package as the KH
setup. This is just pimp for pimps sake

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

Old February 20th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

uniredneck wrote:
So if you add it up, you have a near $300 frame, a $300 hub/crankset
PROFESSIONALLY (not machine built) built by one of the best and most
trusted wheel builders in the industry to a not so cheap rim.

Gee, I wouldn't have expected one of the best and most trusted wheel
builders in the industry to *completely mis-lace one of my spokes*.
(Didn't cross it over at all). I don't see how it's even possible to
send out a wheel like that unless the spoke tension was never tested.
The wheel is probably better than machine-built, but that's not saying
much.

--
tholub

Old February 20th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uniredneck

About the rim, I'm telling you, The text is wrong for the current setup.
It happens sometimes that an item is listed wrong, but it is currently
built with the Surly rim. I'll ask them if they are going to build the
future Surly's with a KH rim though.

I'm sorry you had an issue with your wheel tholub, but you have to keep
in mind John Kovoachi builds wheels not only for UDC but for many shops
in the Southeast not to mention custom orders from elsewhere on his
website. He is human and made a mistake it seems. Even Lance's
mechanic strips a bolt here and there.

Old February 20th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

uniredneck wrote:

I'm sorry you had an issue with your wheel tholub, but you have to keep
in mind John Kovoachi builds wheels not only for UDC but for many shops
in the Southeast not to mention custom orders from elsewhere on his
website. He is human and made a mistake it seems. Even Lance's
mechanic strips a bolt here and there.

I understand making a mistake. I've mis-laced a wheel before. In
fact, I've made the same lacing error before, failing to cross over a
spoke.

What I don't understand is how a serious wheelbuilder can fail to catch
that error while tensioning the wheel. A spoke that's not crossed over
behaves totally differently than a spoke that is, both in terms of its
tone and tension and in terms of its affect on wheel trueness.

--
tholub

Old February 20th 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uniredneck

I donno man, I'm sorry that it happened. Maybe it was the end of the
day or something and he was tired. Did everthing get worked out in the
end?