Brifters on a moustache bar

Old July 25th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JennyB

Default Brifters on a moustache bar

Has any one tried this? Good idea or not? (I've got the bar but not
the brifters, yet)

If good, what brakes would work best for a touring frame with 38c
tyres, mudguards and canti bosses?

Old July 25th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jul 25, 5:04 am, JennyB wrote:
Has any one tried this? Good idea or not? (I've got the bar but not
the brifters, yet)

They will work, brakes and all. Lever action may be a little weird,
but they will work(STI, no go with Ergo button)

If good, what brakes would work best for a touring frame with 38c
tyres, mudguards and canti bosses?

Tektro are great brakes for not a lot of $, Oryx...

Old July 25th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mark

Having used mustache bars on my winter commuter for a while, I can't
imagine that shifting would be all that comfortable. What's wrong with
bar-end shifters? Campy and (I think) Shimano offer indexed bar-end
shifters, or you could get the Rivendell friction-only shifters.

I'm real happy with the Shimano BR-550 canti brakes on my tourer,
they're the only brakes I've found that don't squeal like a pig on that
particular bike, although that could be the bike or the rim.

Old July 25th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Bernard

JennyB wrote:
Has any one tried this? Good idea or not? (I've got the bar but not
the brifters, yet)

If good, what brakes would work best for a touring frame with 38c
tyres, mudguards and canti bosses?- Hide quoted text -

No personal experience but I've heard STI flops around when mounted
horizontally. If you're touchy about rattly/clacking noises, it may
not be for you. If you drive an old Dodge fan that sounds like a steel
drum and don't notice it, you may be OK.

Old July 26th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pikachu

In article .com,
JennyB wrote:

Has any one tried this? Good idea or not? (I've got the bar but not
the brifters, yet)

I've used a set of Campy Ergo brifters on my moustache bars on my
commuter/all-rounder. They actually worked very well in the sense that
braking and shifting both felt quite natural, if the moustache bars are
at least an inch or two above saddle height. The shifting "ear" was my
main concern prior to installation, but that did not turn out to be
awkward at all.

The benefits of using Ergos instead of STI are that (1) the Ergo
brifters route their cables "aero" style so the setup doesn't look odd
because there aren't any downward pointing shifting cables, and (2) the
Ergos have built-in brake quick-releases so they're very convenient with
canti brakes, that typically do not have quick releases themselves.

As a small disclaimer, I don't have the Ergo brifters on my commute bike
now. After some time, I realized that I really didn't shift all that
much when on my commuter. So when it came time to rebuild my Ergos, I
took the opportunity to swap them out for a nice set of friction DT
shifters. The DT shifters are simpler, less of a thief magnet, and work
with all my different wheelsets. However, if I should shift more, I
won't hesitate putting the Ergos back on.

If good, what brakes would work best for a touring frame with 38c
tyres, mudguards and canti bosses?

The Tektro canti brakes are probably the best bang for the buck.

Pikachu

New Brifters, Old Brakes David Techniques 11 March 21st 06 12:34 AM
Do brifters really suck? G.T. Techniques 29 January 25th 06 08:06 AM
Availability of SRAM road brifters? damyth Techniques 21 October 11th 05 02:59 PM
Modolo brifters Sarotherodon General 1 April 12th 05 09:16 PM
Shimano XT 8-speed brifters Sscarich Marketplace 0 November 15th 04 05:10 PM