There's more than "I was in Mexico" going on here...

Old July 27th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
J Jones

Default There's more than "I was in Mexico" going on here...

There is no way possible that this single instance of Ras declaring he was
in Mexico is the only thing going on here. There has to be other instances
of Ras's credibility coming into question. Plus, there has to be more
evidence that he's been doping. Hard to imagine that team leaders and
sponsors would ****-can him based on 1) a single questionable instance of
his integrity, and 2) one person's "I saw him in Italy" comment.
Jeff

Old July 27th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jul 26, 9:34 pm, "J Jones" wrote:
There is no way possible that this single instance of Ras declaring he was
in Mexico is the only thing going on here. There has to be other instances
of Ras's credibility coming into question. Plus, there has to be more
evidence that he's been doping. Hard to imagine that team leaders and
sponsors would ****-can him based on 1) a single questionable instance of
his integrity, and 2) one person's "I saw him in Italy" comment.

Whitney Richards amongst others.

Old July 27th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"J Jones" wrote in message
There is no way possible that this single instance of Ras declaring he was
in Mexico is the only thing going on here. There has to be other
instances of Ras's credibility coming into question. Plus, there has to
be more evidence that he's been doping. Hard to imagine that team leaders
and sponsors would ****-can him based on 1) a single questionable instance
of his integrity, and 2) one person's "I saw him in Italy" comment.

So your guess is as good as proof?

Old July 27th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
J Jones

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in message
ink.net...
"J Jones" wrote in message
There is no way possible that this single instance of Ras declaring he
was in Mexico is the only thing going on here. There has to be other
instances of Ras's credibility coming into question. Plus, there has to
be more evidence that he's been doping. Hard to imagine that team
leaders and sponsors would ****-can him based on 1) a single questionable
instance of his integrity, and 2) one person's "I saw him in Italy"
comment.

So your guess is as good as proof?

Common sense. I'm offering no proof, just a common sense view of this
situation. Hard to imagine someone getting canned for 1 single incident of
their integrity coming into question. Especially, if it's based on someone
else's comment that "hey, I saw him in Italy". It just doesn't make any
sense to me that his whereabouts would be enough to ****can him while he's
leading the tour. Would that be enough for you to fire an employee who was
performing at the absolute top of his game?

Old July 27th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tony S.

"J Jones" wrote in message
There is no way possible that this single instance of Ras declaring he was
in Mexico is the only thing going on here. There has to be other
instances of Ras's credibility coming into question. Plus, there has to
be more evidence that he's been doping. Hard to imagine that team leaders
and sponsors would ****-can him based on 1) a single questionable instance
of his integrity, and 2) one person's "I saw him in Italy" comment.
Jeff

Why? The doping situation appears to be in a state of hysteria, perhaps for
good reason, but the publicity and instant reaction over any little thing is
not a good thing. Rumor was enough to yank Basso and Ullrich last year
(which happened to be a good thing), but I think that set a very bad
precedent. And, since when is a rider presumed totally guilty after the "A"
sample tests positive? The system is built with some safeguards, and one of
those is that the "B" sample must also test positive for a rider to be found
guilty. This protocol is now completely irrelevant, as Cristian Moreni was
pulled after only his "A" sample tested positive. Now, that's the Tour's
choice, and he is probably guilty, but let's remember that there are good
human and politic-neutral reasons for having the protocols.

-Tony

Old July 27th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
J Jones

"Tony S." wrote in message
"J Jones" wrote in message
There is no way possible that this single instance of Ras declaring he
was in Mexico is the only thing going on here. There has to be other
instances of Ras's credibility coming into question. Plus, there has to
be more evidence that he's been doping. Hard to imagine that team
leaders and sponsors would ****-can him based on 1) a single questionable
instance of his integrity, and 2) one person's "I saw him in Italy"
comment.
Jeff

Why?

Because he was leading the tour (every team's desire), was at the top of his
game (every team's desire), and tested negative 17 times (again, every
team's desire). Someone says "I saw him in Italy" and he's sacked, simple
as that? No way. There's more here than is being reported.
The doping situation appears to be in a state of hysteria, perhaps for
good reason, but the publicity and instant reaction over any little thing
is not a good thing. Rumor was enough to yank Basso and Ullrich last year
(which happened to be a good thing), but I think that set a very bad
precedent. And, since when is a rider presumed totally guilty after the
"A" sample tests positive? The system is built with some safeguards, and
one of those is that the "B" sample must also test positive for a rider to
be found guilty. This protocol is now completely irrelevant, as Cristian
Moreni was pulled after only his "A" sample tested positive. Now, that's
the Tour's choice, and he is probably guilty, but let's remember that
there are good human and politic-neutral reasons for having the protocols.

I heard tonight on the Vs. broadcast that Moreni admitted to doping and thus
forfeited the B sample.

-Tony

Old July 27th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
jyh

In article _ycqi.3098$zJ4.2506@trndny03,
"Tony S." wrote:

And, since when is a rider presumed totally guilty after the "A"
sample tests positive? The system is built with some safeguards, and one of
those is that the "B" sample must also test positive for a rider to be found
guilty. This protocol is now completely irrelevant, as Cristian Moreni was
pulled after only his "A" sample tested positive.

Cristian Moreni admitted doping and did not request testing of the B
sample. The protocol was respected in this case.

jyh.
Old July 27th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Casey Kerrigan

wrote:

"J Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Remember the Tour promoters want a clean race ( or at least the image
of a clean race) so they don't lose their sponsors. This is part of the
whole battle around the Pro Tour mess. The Grand Tour promtoers want
the ability to run their races as they see fit. They want the ability
to invite only those teams that they want to invite and they want the
ability to kick any rider out that they want out. The Grand Tour
promtoers don;t care about B samples or the fact that a test may be
wrong. They want to protest their sponsors and that means eliminating
any rider who even has a hint of being involved with drugs.
Old July 27th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
steve

On 26-Jul-2007, smacked up and reeling, "J Jones" blindly
formulated
the following incoherence:

Because he was leading the tour (every team's desire), was at the top of
his
game (every team's desire), and tested negative 17 times (again, every
team's desire). Someone says "I saw him in Italy" and he's sacked, simple

as that? No way. There's more here than is being reported.

I believe Phil L. reported that Rasmussen admitted to lying about his
whereabouts once he was confronted with that statement. That would explain
it.

steve
--
"The accused will now make a bogus statement."
James Joyce
Old July 27th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anthony

On 27 Jul, 02:34, "J Jones" wrote:
There is no way possible that this single instance of Ras declaring he was
in Mexico is the only thing going on here. There has to be other instances
of Ras's credibility coming into question. Plus, there has to be more
evidence that he's been doping. Hard to imagine that team leaders and
sponsors would ****-can him based on 1) a single questionable instance of
his integrity, and 2) one person's "I saw him in Italy" comment.
Jeff

I just think the team should check Rasmussen's passport and that would
end the speculation on that point beyond all doubt. If the team
leaders suspect him of other transgressions, then they should bring
forward evidence of that - it just seems a little superficial to sack
someone on the basis of hearsay. With people thinking something
greater must lie behind their decision, this leads to more suspicion,
when I am sure people want things out in the open to take away the
seediness of the sitiuation.