Surly Karate Monkey

Old April 16th 09, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Surly Karate Monkey

DanKMTB wrote:

I’m testing a kit for Fusin Motors. It’s 500W Nominal, nearly 1000
peak, 48V w/ a 10Ah battery. If you’re actually interested in ebikes
and the kit I can link you to the review I’m doing on it, but it’s
just getting started, I’ll be working on the review for weeks (if not
months) as I test, abuse and use the kit.

Sure!

Go ahead and post a link!!
Old April 22nd 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB

On Apr 15, 11:06*pm, wrote:
DanKMTB wrote:
I’m testing a kit for Fusin Motors. *It’s 500W Nominal, nearly 1000
peak, 48V w/ a 10Ah battery. *If you’re actually interested in ebikes
and the kit I can link you to the review I’m doing on it, but it’s
just getting started, I’ll be working on the review for weeks (if not
months) as I test, abuse and use the kit.

Sure!

Go ahead and post a link!!

Whoops... missed this, and forgot I offered. My mistake. Bear in
mind this is a review in progress, and there will be much more to come
when I get some more miles. Currently rain in the afternoons here,
which makes for less than ideal testing.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...php?f=4&t=9707
Old April 23rd 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB

On Apr 22, 10:53*am, DanKMTB wrote:
On Apr 15, 11:06*pm, wrote:

DanKMTB wrote:
I’m testing a kit for Fusin Motors. *It’s 500W Nominal, nearly 1000
peak, 48V w/ a 10Ah battery. *If you’re actually interested in ebikes
and the kit I can link you to the review I’m doing on it, but it’s
just getting started, I’ll be working on the review for weeks (if not
months) as I test, abuse and use the kit.

Sure!

Go ahead and post a link!!

Whoops... *missed this, and forgot I offered. *My mistake. *Bear in
mind this is a review in progress, and there will be much more to come
when I get some more miles. *Currently rain in the afternoons here,
which makes for less than ideal testing.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...php?f=4&t=9707

Well, for anyone curious how this was going to end, the answer is
"poorly". Apparently ~1000W peak is just too much for the chromo fork
dropouts to take. Details in the link above.
Old April 23rd 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

DanKMTB wrote:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...php?f=4&t=9707

Well, for anyone curious how this was going to end, the answer is
"poorly". *Apparently ~1000W peak is just too much for the chromo fork
dropouts to take. *Details in the link above.

I'm sorry to hear bout your thumb and your battery.

Rats. I thought you were gonna use a torque arm or two. I splayed
the tips of a couple of forks (without ejecting the wheel) with my 36V
X5305 motor before I decided to take the matter more seriously. At
the very least, I think you have to use a chromoly fork with BMX-style
plate dropouts. Ideally you use a heat-treated version of the same
and add a torque arm to each side.

If the motor had come with a torque arm as sloppy and loose as the one
that came with my X5305, you might have managed to mess up your forks
and crash anyway. That thing was worthless.

Chalo
Old April 23rd 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB

On Apr 23, 3:49*pm, Chalo wrote:
DanKMTB wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the condolences.

I did plan to a torque arm eventually, but since the kit was supposed
to come with everything you need, plug and play I was reviewing it as
it came, and the torque arms had been put off. It came with some
funky washers that fit in the slot the axle came out, and that was
supposed to stop rotation. Was actually going to put torque arms on
this weekend, as it figures.

It was a chromo 29er fork. Dropouts were fairly flat, it was my
Motobecane Outcast 29er which comes with bolt-on wheels rather than
QR, so no lawyer lips to speak off. Still wasn't a BMX fork. I don't
think any torque arm would have helped, to be honest. I think it was
the fit of the axle in the dropouts, just not tight enough. Maybe
torque arms would have helped, I don't know. Seems like it is
actually the BMS and not the battery itself, which will be a good
thing if I can get a replacement BMS. Won't matter if I can't, or if
I can't find a rigid 29er fork that will fit the axle tight enough
though.