Oh dear.

Old April 4th 04, 11:41 PM
Doki

Default Oh dear.

Had a shufti in the ad-mag. I get the horrible feeling there'll be 3 bikes
in the shed within a few weeks now that I've seen how cheap old racing bikes
are, and I've found what sounds like a 3 speed town bike...

Old April 5th 04, 12:01 AM
Sandy Morton

and I've found what sounds like a 3 speed town bike...

Very OT - but - I seem to have a large set of workshop wall charts
for Sturmey Archer products. Does anyone know of a Cycling museum
which could benefit from these? Obviously at no charge.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old April 5th 04, 07:58 AM
chris French

In message , Sandy Morton
writes

and I've found what sounds like a 3 speed town bike...

Very OT - but - I seem to have a large set of workshop wall charts
for Sturmey Archer products. Does anyone know of a Cycling museum
which could benefit from these? Obviously at no charge.

There is the Mark Hall Cycle Museum in Harlow

Muskham Road, off First Avenue, Harlow, CM20 2LF, Tel 01279 439680
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old April 5th 04, 08:52 AM
Helen Deborah Vecht

chris French typed

In message , Sandy Morton
writes

and I've found what sounds like a 3 speed town bike...

Very OT - but - I seem to have a large set of workshop wall charts
for Sturmey Archer products. Does anyone know of a Cycling museum
which could benefit from these? Obviously at no charge.

There is the Mark Hall Cycle Museum in Harlow

Muskham Road, off First Avenue, Harlow, CM20 2LF, Tel 01279 439680

There's also the National Cycle Collection in Llandrindod Wells.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old April 5th 04, 05:00 PM
Simon Mason

"Sandy Morton" wrote in message

and I've found what sounds like a 3 speed town bike...

Very OT - but - I seem to have a large set of workshop wall charts
for Sturmey Archer products. Does anyone know of a Cycling museum
which could benefit from these? Obviously at no charge.

http://www.artguide.org/uk/AG.pl?Act...is=1078954741D

Simon M.

Old April 5th 04, 07:18 PM
Peter B

"Sandy Morton" wrote in message
Very OT - but - I seem to have a large set of workshop wall charts
for Sturmey Archer products. Does anyone know of a Cycling museum

The excellent:

Birmingham Museum of Science and Industry.
Newhall Street, B3 1RZ. Phone [0121] 235 1661.

IIRC they have (or had) a selection of bicycles. (Not been for some years).

--
Regards,
Pete

Old April 5th 04, 07:28 PM
Peter B

"Sandy Morton" wrote in message

Very OT - but - I seem to have a large set of workshop wall charts
for Sturmey Archer products. Does anyone know of a Cycling museum
which could benefit from these? Obviously at no charge.

And Woolaton Hall, Nottingham have some bicycles in their collection IIRC.
--
Regards,
Pete

Old April 5th 04, 10:35 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Sandy Morton
') wrote:

and I've found what sounds like a 3 speed town bike...

Very OT - but - I seem to have a large set of workshop wall charts
for Sturmey Archer products. Does anyone know of a Cycling museum
which could benefit from these? Obviously at no charge.

Royal Scottish Museum (if it is still separate from the Museum of
Scotland - I think it is)?

Morning had broken, and there was nothing left for us to do
but pick up the pieces.
Old April 6th 04, 09:23 AM
Peter Clinch

Doki wrote:
Had a shufti in the ad-mag. I get the horrible feeling there'll be 3 bikes
in the shed within a few weeks now that I've seen how cheap old racing bikes
are, and I've found what sounds like a 3 speed town bike...

Note that "old racing bikes" will often not be racing bikes at all, but
what passed for racing bikes to sell to impressionable young fashion
victims before cheap and nasty MTB-a-likes filled the role from the back
end of the 80s.

And I know this because being well into my 30s now I was one of those
fashion victims (mine was a Raleigh Olympus). Though I loved my bike
and did a lot of miles on it over the years there is no way I would
reasonably recommend similar to anyone now (amazingly enough it was
stolen, but at the back end of the 80s before MTBs had taken over).
Steel wheels and Weinman brakes == no stopping power, steel frame and
steel wheels built for children to abuse == high weight, plastic *THING*
in lieu of saddle == no comfort. You can change stuff like the wheels
and saddle but you'll have already tripled the price. Might as well
just get an old frame from the local dump.
This is not to say that Proper Old Racers won't be in the local ads, but
they're unlikely to be basically free.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital