What model recumbent bike is fastes and suitable for commuting?

Old September 22nd 05, 08:57 AM
Vytautas

Default What model recumbent bike is fastes and suitable for commuting?

For me matters two things mostly - I need to drive faster than with a
traditional bike and if it is more comfortable so that's perfect. Is it
so what I wish? Can you say what ordinary a recumbent bike with a fit
driver is allways faster than a rider with a tradicional bike? What
sort of bent schould it be?
Please specify models if you can.

So as I intrested in buying recumbent bike I would like to know some
details about bents that still bothers me. (I have never ride a bent
before, just ussual bikes all the time)
Is it comfortable in a city? And is it ok to ride in a streets with
cars around?
Can you go for longer trips with recumbent bike easy and comfortable
enough? (I travel up to fourty km daily with my upright bike easilly)
Would it be more easier and faster with recumbent when I will get used
to it? What do you suggest?

Just please say your speeds. I am curious all about speeds. What was
your fastest speed on recumbent on a flat road? If you do touring what
is your average speed on tour?
Can't you drive it easy without sweat when commuting?
What kind of bent do you use? What would you suggest? How much money
are worth spending for velomobile?
I looked at some SWB and LWB, but I not quite sure which of them are
better. What is your opinion?
How often and how far do you ride a bent?
So to sum it all i need a bent what is considerably faster than a
traditional road bike suitable for daily use in the streets of city and
a bit touring.
I appreciate your answers very much.
I hope to begin new generation of recumbent riders here in Lithuania!

Vytautas Sutkus
Lithuania, Kaunas

Old September 22nd 05, 09:18 AM
Peter Clinch

Vytautas wrote:
For me matters two things mostly - I need to drive faster than with a
traditional bike and if it is more comfortable so that's perfect. Is it
so what I wish? Can you say what ordinary a recumbent bike with a fit
driver is allways faster than a rider with a tradicional bike? What
sort of bent schould it be?

For the best speed you want good aerodynamics, and that means fairings,
either separate tail and nose or a full fairing like a Velomobile.
Beyond that, if all else is equal lower frontal area is better, and
lighter weight is better, but a good fairing will make more difference
than taking off weight.

Is it comfortable in a city? And is it ok to ride in a streets with
cars around?

typically yes.

Can you go for longer trips with recumbent bike easy and comfortable
enough?

IME to a much greater extent, because as long as you have one with a
seat that fits you well it's more comfortable and there's no strain on
your arms, wrists or neck.

Can't you drive it easy without sweat when commuting?

Depends how fast you commute...

I looked at some SWB and LWB, but I not quite sure which of them are
better. What is your opinion?

I wouldn't worry about the wheelbase, rather look at does the exact
model you're looking at do the job you want.

How often and how far do you ride a bent?

Local trips around town I use an upright folder, a Brompton, because the
fold makes it much more convenient. Anything longer and I use the 'bent
(a touring model, not fast but takes luggage very well and is
/incredibly/ comfortable). I will personally do up to about 100 km in a
day, no reason not to do more if you have the legs.

--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old September 22nd 05, 10:17 AM
Vytautas

But for the speed above the upright road bike, can I reach with a
recumbent without any aditional fairings? What type of bike would it
be? Is for example Ransbike V-Rex what I mean? What do you suggest?

Old September 22nd 05, 10:50 AM
Peter Clinch

Vytautas wrote:
But for the speed above the upright road bike, can I reach with a
recumbent without any additional fairings?

I would say that's the Wrong Question. If you want to go as fast as
possible (and it sounds to me like you do) then you want fairings.

What type of bike would it
be? Is for example Ransbike V-Rex what I mean? What do you suggest?

Once you're anywhere much over 20 km/h it's aerodynamics that will make
the biggest differences. If you don't use fairings then that generally
means minimising frontal area, and you can get a lot less than you'd get
on the V-Rex. A lowracer like an Optima Baron would be quicker, but
OTOH not so good in traffic (not impossible, but not so good). You can
get a bit more practical but not so fast with a semi-lowracer like the
Optima Stinger Race. Bikes like that aren't really good for touring,
but slow them down a bit more with extra weight for racks etc. and they
make accomplished tourers. At this point you're not really faster than
a diamond frame race bike, but you are significantly more comfortable
and can carry luggage better. My bike is an HPVel Streetmachine GT,
which is slower than my old upright tourer, but vastly more capable as a
touring machine because I am not limited by aches and pains from the
riding positon. If I wanted to go faster then an HPVel Speedmachine
would be quicker because it's lower and lighter, and can still take
useful touring loads.

Note that some fairings double as cargo tailboxes, which make the bike
more practical for loads as well as more aerodynamic. But this adds
weight and cost, of course...

Pete.

Old September 22nd 05, 11:20 AM
Mark Leuck

"Vytautas" wrote in message
oups.com...

Just please say your speeds. I am curious all about speeds. What was
your fastest speed on recumbent on a flat road? If you do touring what
is your average speed on tour?

35 on a flat road in brief sprints, last several centuries I've done my
average is between 17 and 18 mph

(yes the speedometer is calibrated properly)

Can't you drive it easy without sweat when commuting?

depends on the heat

What kind of bent do you use?

Optima Baron

What would you suggest?

Optima Baron

How much money
are worth spending for velomobile?

After the addiction sets in you find the initial price of the bike is
irrelevent

I looked at some SWB and LWB, but I not quite sure which of them are
better. What is your opinion?

Either

How often and how far do you ride a bent?

Every day usually 40 miles or more

http://www.optima-cycles.nl/eng/

Old September 22nd 05, 03:12 PM
mort

Vytautas wrote:
For me matters two things mostly - I need to drive faster than with a
traditional bike and if it is more comfortable so that's perfect.

A faired recumbent will only be faster than an upright if the route is
flat. If you are a strong rider and the route is not flat, an upright
will be faster as the lighter weight of the upright bike will allow you
to climb faster. You will hear claims that recumbents are faster than
uprights, but it is only true under certain conditions.

Is it so what I wish? Can you say what ordinary a recumbent bike with a fit
driver is allways faster than a rider with a tradicional bike?

Probably not. Recumbents come in a wide variety of models, each
optimized for a particular mix of comfort, speed, traffic safety, and
carrying capacity. Many of the fastest bikes are very low to the
ground and harder for cars to see. If you are an experienced traffic
rider this may not be a problem, but it is different than riding a
regular bike.

What sort of bent schould it be?
Please specify models if you can.

I commute 42 kms daily (round trip) on a Gold Rush by Easy Racers. I
have a large bag on the back, and the bike is equipped with a front
fairing. I am a fairly strong rider. The route is half steep hills
and half flat. My average speeds are around 27 kph if I am taking it
easy or hit heavy traffic, and about 32 kph if I am pushing it. In the
hills I average 22-24 kph, on the flats 35 kph. A Gold Rush can be
speeded up by addition of a body sock, which is a fabric fairing that
covers most of the bike. (See their website, easyracers.com, for more
on this.) In my opinion this would be a very good commuting set up.
There are two disadvantages of the Gold Rush: 1. it's a very long
bike, almost 2 meters, and very hard to take up stairs or in elevators.
2. You may not be able to buy one in Lithuania.

So as I intrested in buying recumbent bike I would like to know some
details about bents that still bothers me. (I have never ride a bent
before, just ussual bikes all the time)
Is it comfortable in a city? And is it ok to ride in a streets with
cars around?

Keeping in mind that you can choose bents with all kinds of riding
positions, then yes a bent is more comfortable. Many people ride them
in the city, but you do need to be aware of how visible you are.

Can you go for longer trips with recumbent bike easy and comfortable
enough? (I travel up to fourty km daily with my upright bike easilly)
Would it be more easier and faster with recumbent when I will get used
to it? What do you suggest?

Long trips are a pleasure with a good recumbent. I wouldn't think
twice about riding 150km/day on mine, and it would require no ordinary
training beyond my commute. The difference in arm/neck/hand fatigue is
unbelievable until you have experienced it. It does take a few months
of riding to get used to a different set of muscles, though.

Just please say your speeds. I am curious all about speeds. What was
your fastest speed on recumbent on a flat road?

I'm not much of a sprinter, but I can cruise at 35kph for quite a
while, and sprint it up to 50kph or more for a brief time.

If you do touring what
is your average speed on tour?

See above

Can't you drive it easy without sweat when commuting?

No. When I work, I sweat. However, there are speeds where I can
cruise along without any sensation of working, and I neither breathe
hard or sweat. For me, this is in 25-30kph range.

What kind of bent do you use? What would you suggest? How much money
are worth spending for velomobile?

See above. The Gold Rush is not a full fledged velomobile, but it
weighs a lot less.

I looked at some SWB and LWB, but I not quite sure which of them are
better. What is your opinion?

Ride a few and see. Every one is different.

How often and how far do you ride a bent?

4-5 times a week, 42 kph round trip.
So to sum it all i need a bent what is considerably faster than a
traditional road bike suitable for daily use in the streets of city and
a bit touring.

I'm not sure you will find anything considerably faster than a racing
bike, but if you are currently riding a mountain bike or similar than
you may be able to increase your speeds. Best of luck to you!

Old September 22nd 05, 03:51 PM
Peter Clinch

mort wrote:

A faired recumbent will only be faster than an upright if the route is
flat. If you are a strong rider and the route is not flat, an upright
will be faster as the lighter weight of the upright bike will allow you
to climb faster. You will hear claims that recumbents are faster than
uprights, but it is only true under certain conditions.

And this isn't /necessarily/ one of them. The several hundred mile
Land's End to John O'Groats route in the UK is very definitely /not/
flat, yet the record for it is held by a fully faired recumbent trike.
The rider, Andy Wilkinson, beat his own record, previously set on an
upright race bike.

Climbing faster is only a net benefit if the slower speed on descents
and on flatter sections doesn't account for at least as much time. This
will vary with routes, but the LEJOG record shows that the mere presence
of hills doesn't necessarily render fairings pointless (Wilkinson was
clocked at over 70 mph (112km/h) on some of the bigger /downhills/ in
Northern England, which I suspect helped make up for the extra weight
climbing the hills to start with).

Pete.

Old September 22nd 05, 04:06 PM
mort

Pete -

Look, I would never go back to an upright, but we're not doing the OP
any favors if we imply that riding a fully faired bent on a long
distance speed attempt is anything like commuting. How easy is it to
stop/start/signal/carry stuff on a recumbent that is faired for speed?
Velomobiles are good at all of that, but they are heavy. So is a
regular recumbent when loaded up for real life - my Gold Rush, with a
listed weight of about 30lbs, is closer to 50 by the time I'm done with
fairing, racks, lights, spare tires, pumps, lunch, clothes, etc, etc.
It definitely affects climbing speed - I'm a very strong climber, but
this morning a guy on a racing bike (probably weights less than 20lbs)
cruised by me on an uphill. His physique and fitness didn't appear to
be much different from mine, but I couldn't catch him even when I tried
very hard. And he didn't appear to be working all that hard. I almost
got him on a flat stretch, but then the road went up again and he was
gone. So in the context of the OPs questions, if it's a hilly route it
is quite unlikely that he is going to go faster than he could on a
racing bike. If he's been riding a Raleigh style commuter, and chooses
a fast bent, then it might be a different story.

Mort

p.s. I went to St. Andrews University for a year in the 80s, and was
briefly a member of the Dundee Wheelers. Fabulous place to ride - you
are darn lucky and I wish I could back some time.

Old September 22nd 05, 06:03 PM
Jon Meinecke

"Vytautas" wrote in message

For me matters two things mostly - I need to drive faster than with a
traditional bike

Too many unknown variables to assure that. There are certain
types of riding where an upright bike may well be faster, for
example, technical downhill mountain biking. %^) As others
have pointed out, below 15 mph or so, the potential aerodynamic
advantages (highly variable, depending on design) of recumbents
matter less. Higher weight of many designs may make routes
with a larger amount of climbing slower than a lighter upright.

and if it is more comfortable

Comfort level of recumbents covers a large spectrum and is
obviously often a matter of rider preference. In general,
many of the discomfort issues that may be associated with
upright bikes are simple not an issue on recumbents. For
many, this includes problems with neck, shoulders, wrists,
back and, almost certainly "wedgie seat"-related issues.

Can you say what ordinary a recumbent bike with a fit
driver is allways faster than a rider with a tradicional bike?

A number of speed records for bicycles are held by
recumbent riders.

For a given amount of work and mass, the fewer losses
through friction and the better the ergonomics, the faster
you may ride. Note that some believe that an upright bike
is more efficient at climbing, not only because it me lighter,
but also because the rider can alter their position on the
bike to gain some mechanical advantage and possibly
use different muscles.

What sort of bent schould it be?

That's more a matter of personal taste and availability.
Many of us have owned more than one recumbent bike.
And many own more than one concurrently, keeping
two or more for different applications.

The best advice is to ride as many different types as
you can. Choose a bike that suits your riding style
and the road conditions you must deal with.

Is it comfortable in a city? And is it ok to ride in a
streets with cars around?

Yes.

Can you go for longer trips with recumbent bike easy and comfortable
enough? (I travel up to fourty km daily with my upright bike easilly)

Yes. If you are riding 40K - 25 miles daily on an upright, you
should have no problems doing so recumbently. There is an
adjustment period, since the muscles used are different. Some
upright riders who buy a recumbent hoping for immediate speed
gain are disappointed. Only a few have posted that they gave
up recumbents.

Just please say your speeds. I am curious all about speeds.

I am faster on my recumbents than I was on my upright.

Can't you drive it easy without sweat when commuting?

Too many factors,--weather, speed, distance, course.
Type of bike is probably of the lowest significance.

What kind of bent do you use?

Voale Sport - road bike, thin tires
Tour Easy - road/touring bike, rougher roads, medium tires
BikeE AT - utlility bike, roads and trails, wider tires

I hope to begin new generation of recumbent riders
here in Lithuania!

Good luck!

Lithuania, Kaunas

Like Dorothy said in the _Wizard of Oz_, "Toto, I've a
feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

Jon Meinecke

Old September 22nd 05, 11:12 PM
Mark Leuck

"Vytautas" wrote in message
oups.com...
But for the speed above the upright road bike, can I reach with a
recumbent without any aditional fairings? What type of bike would it
be? Is for example Ransbike V-Rex what I mean? What do you suggest?

In "theory" the recumbent should be faster yet in reality many aren't due to
rider position, gearing etc. I've ridden several different brands and most
were not faster than a DF at a standard pace, I am faster on my Baron so I'd
say if speed is what you want then get either a low racer like an Optima
Baron or a high racer such as Bacchetta. Anything else will likely not be
faster unless you go with a fairing