Another brave/foolish cyclist!

Old February 25th 11, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

Default Another brave/foolish cyclist!

I was driving my car down a very dark country lane last night, when I
came up behind a cyclist with no rear lights. At least he was wearing
a reflective sash and his bike was fitted with reflectors, but even so
he didn't show up very well at all until he came within range of my
dipped headlights. They were dipped because there was another car
approaching in the opposite direction, and I could have easily missed
seeing him in the associated glare from its headlights. As I overtook
the cyclist I noticed that he didn't have a front light either, so it
must have been quite difficult for him to see where he was going. Why
do so many cyclists behave in this Lemming-like and illegal manner?
Old February 25th 11, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_34_]

Old February 25th 11, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

On Feb 25, 11:12*am, "Just zis Guy, you know?"

Thus proving the value of a cyclist without lights is the same as a
wild deer, that's a shame as at least the deer is edible as roadkill.
Old February 25th 11, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

wrote:

On 25/02/2011 11:06, Derek C wrote:

I was driving my car down a very dark country lane last night, when I
came up behind a cyclist with no rear lights. At least he was wearing
a reflective sash and his bike was fitted with reflectors, but even so
he didn't show up very well at all until he came within range of my
dipped headlights. They were dipped because there was another car
approaching in the opposite direction, and I could have easily missed
seeing him in the associated glare from its headlights. As I overtook
the cyclist I noticed that he didn't have a front light either, so it
must have been quite difficult for him to see where he was going. Why
do so many cyclists behave in this Lemming-like and illegal manner?

I was driving my car down a very dark country lane last night, when I
came up behind a deer with no rear lights. It wasn't even wearing
a reflective sash or fitted with reflectors, so it didn't show up very
well at all until he came within range of my dipped headlights. They
were dipped because there was another car approaching in the opposite
direction, and I could have easily missed seeing it in the associated
glare from its headlights. As I overtook the deer I noticed that he
didn't have a front light either, so it must have been quite difficult
for it to see where he was going. Why do so many deer behave in this
Lemming-like manner?

Just as well I was driving at a speed where I could stop within the
distance I could see to be clear, really. There should be a rule that
people have to do that.

- --

So cyclists are just another type of road kill then?
Old February 25th 11, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PhilO

On Feb 25, 11:40*am, NM wrote:

Thus proving the value of a cyclist without lights is the same as a
wild deer, that's a shame as at least the deer is edible as roadkill.- Hide quoted text -

By that logic, when parked, your car is worth one deer. Or
alternatively, everything unlit is worth a big hloe in the road.
Strange world you live in.
Old February 25th 11, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Feb 25, 11:50*am, PhilO wrote:
On Feb 25, 11:40*am, NM wrote:

Thus proving the value of a cyclist without lights is the same as a
wild deer, that's a shame as at least the deer is edible as roadkill.- Hide quoted text -

By that logic, when parked, your car is worth one deer. Or
alternatively, everything unlit is worth a big hloe in the road.
Strange world you live in.

Cyclists on time trials seem to be very good at killing or seriously
injuring themselves by riding with their heads down straight into the
back of parked vehicles. If I may quote Guy Chapman "Just as well I

Old February 25th 11, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 25/02/2011 11:12, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

[...]

Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
to be worth at least what you paid for them.
PGP public key at http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public.key
Version: GnuPG v2.0.16 (MingW32)

Can you point out where the regulations are that require the deer to
have lights?
Can you point out where the deer could have purchased these lights?

Or are you trying to say that the cyclist in question is about as
intelligent as a deer?

Old February 25th 11, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

wrote:

Thus proving the value of a cyclist without lights is the same as a
wild deer, that's a shame as at least the deer is edible as roadkill.

Exactly how would you cook a Chapman?
Old February 25th 11, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

wrote:

Thus proving the value of a cyclist without lights is the same as a
wild deer, that's a shame as at least the deer is edible as roadkill.

Exactly how would you cook a Chapman?

ask him, probably spit roast would be his favourite.

Old February 25th 11, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Derek C" wrote in message
I was driving my car down a very dark country lane last night, when I
came up behind a cyclist with no rear lights. At least he was wearing
a reflective sash and his bike was fitted with reflectors, but even so
he didn't show up very well at all until he came within range of my
dipped headlights. They were dipped because there was another car
approaching in the opposite direction, and I could have easily missed
seeing him in the associated glare from its headlights. As I overtook
the cyclist I noticed that he didn't have a front light either, so it
must have been quite difficult for him to see where he was going. Why
do so many cyclists behave in this Lemming-like and illegal manner?

When I was younger (!) I had a constant battle with cycle lights.Finding
something that would (a) stay on the bike and (b) would work on demand and
keep working whilst I was riding and (c) gave out light that others could
see was almost impossible. I'm certain there were occasions when my rear
light, in particular, failed.

With the advent of LEDs which solved pretty well all of those problems I did
think that the survival instinct would kick in and people who had had the
same experience as me but given up rather than persevering would see the
light (sorry).

But now I've realised that there is a more basic instinct at work. People
don't realise that lights on any road going vehicle serve two purposes - see
and be seen. How many vehicles do you see in the gathering gloom with no
lights on? People who seem to take a perverse pleasure in hiding their
dark coloured vehicle and only turn their lights on at the moment when they
can't see the road in front of them. I see far too many. The approaching
rules about DRLs will go some way to resolving such issues for motorised
vehicles.

Another brave motorist Squashme UK 1 June 18th 10 10:09 PM
brave new world... [email protected] Racing 7 June 14th 07 04:56 AM
Canberra storms + brave cyclist cfsmtb[_12_] Australia 3 March 3rd 07 07:30 AM
If one were to be so foolish .... D'ohBoy Techniques 1 February 4th 06 07:21 PM
It's a brave person... Russell Fulker UK 0 December 21st 05 12:11 AM