Installing threadless headset: ream head tube?

Old September 22nd 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
someone

Default Installing threadless headset: ream head tube?

On 21 Sep, 16:58, Paul Conners wrote:
If it was my frame, I'd prefer to leave it as you describe and taper
the wall of the headset cup/cone from the bore side.

How? By lathe? (A bit tricky to "chuck".) By filing? (A bit inaccurate.)

Thinning from the inside, taking away the internal dimension to
produce a taper using aluminium oxide or similar, by hand and a
backing rod. The external unfitted dimension remains the same and
smooth. The thinner material will allow it to compress to a smaller
diameter with whatever you are using as a press to instal it. The
reaming performed to dimension a frame accurately is usually tiny and
even steel headsets can be forced into non dimensioned steel frames
given enough force. Not that you'll ever want to take them out such a
frame.

And why change the headset OD rather than the frame ID? This is the
traditional technique.

That's not wot I sed. It is feasable, although tapering from the
internal dimension is easier.

If the headset was some unknown brand I'd be concerned about reaming the
frame to a haphazard dimension. But it is Cane Creek, the originators (and
patent holders) of the threadless headset design. So I'm confident the OD is
the industry standard.

Still better not to excessively enlarge a head tube, shrinking it is
not as easy as sticking in another headset.

The thinner wall
at the end will present a more even loading to the headtube with a
reduced risk of frame failure in this area. *

used. The risk is overloading (evenly ;-) ).

Reduction of all stress risers is advantageous if absolute reliability
is desired.

Old September 22nd 09, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Paul Conners

Took headset, frame to LBS. He handed me the press and said "just do it". So,
I did. It went in easily.

Once I got home I double-checked for roundness; it's perfect.

Lotsa fuss for nothin'.

Thanks to all who listened and had something to contribute.

Old September 22nd 09, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
someone

On 22 Sep, 02:39, Paul Conners wrote:
Took headset, frame to LBS. He handed me the press and said "just do it". So,
I did. It went in easily.

Once I got home I double-checked for roundness; it's perfect.

Lotsa fuss for nothin'.

Thanks to all who listened and had something to contribute.

told ya, ya di nay nee t'cut t tube.
Old September 22nd 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
notme

Shouldn't this be followed with:

NYA NYA NYA NYAAAA NYAAAAAAA NYA!!

told ya, ya di nay nee t'cut t tube.

(And what is that? A new abbreviated texting language?)

Old September 22nd 09, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
jim beam[_5_]

On 09/21/2009 07:34 AM, P. Chisholm wrote:
On Sep 20, 3:15�pm, wrote:
On Sep 20, 1:52�am, Paul wrote:

Instructions coming with Cane Creek S-3 headset more than suggests, they say
it is imperative that the head tube be reamed prior to pressing in the cups.
Is reaming standard practice when installing headsets?

This is an external set (ie, not incorporated type) with sealed bearings.
The frame is 6061-T6 aluminum with 1&1/8 inch threadless steer tube.

Thanks.

With regard to prepping in general, the last thing you want to do is
fail to prep the bottom bracket and other treads to remove paint,
metal or other residue that has fouled the treads during fabrication.
If the threading is tight because it is obstructed, it can loosen more
easily if the obstruction erodes and the threads may then become
damaged. Proper prepping doesn't cause damage, it prevents it.

Reality, what a concept.

and over-zealously "prepped" bb threads cause squeaking and premature
wear because they allow excessive radial movement. in that regard,
paint is a non-issue. indeed, it may even be a benefit.
Old September 22nd 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
someone

On Sep 20, 3:15 pm, *wrote:
On Sep 20, 1:52 am, Paul *wrote:

[...]

Not in a shell which has no history of problems. Paint being
relatively soft will creep from the threads and leave the cup loose
after a period of time. The threads must be clean and lubed with a
light oil and nothing else.
Old September 23rd 09, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Michael Press

In article
,
Paul Conners wrote:

Took headset, frame to LBS. He handed me the press and said "just do it". So,
I did. It went in easily.

Once I got home I double-checked for roundness; it's perfect.

Lotsa fuss for nothin'.

Thanks to all who listened and had something to contribute.

The fuss is worth it. You were not sure and now you are.

--
Michael Press

Old September 23rd 09, 08:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
dardruba[_2_]

someone wrote:
On 22 Sep, 03:35, notme wrote:
Shouldn't this be followed with:

NYA NYA NYA NYAAAA NYAAAAAAA NYA!!

told ya, ya di nay nee t'cut t tube.

(And what is that? A new abbreviated texting language?)

Borders

I hate cross posting, you can see why.

I was going to thank you guys for bringing biking business back into
a deteriorating Alt.MB, until I read this.

Anyroad thanks for not feeding the troll.

DD
UK