Ping! DC Fork Experts (Slacker, Carla, Mike Dart, etc.)

Old June 10th 04, 10:57 PM
LoomerMBV

Default Ping! DC Fork Experts (Slacker, Carla, Mike Dart, etc.)

I am looking for help getting the correct spring weight for myself so bear
with me. With Gear I am 220 pounds. I get 35% sag and major brake dive
now.

I pulled my 02 Jr T's apart and found that there are 2 springs in each leg.
I am assuming that one is for a 100mm fork and the other is for a 70mm fork.

Ok the 100mm is red and the 70mm is green.

Supposedly the 100mm red is for a 170 to 205 pound rider.
Supposedly the 70mm is for a 120 to 155 pound rider.

If I take the mid point of both springs and divide by 2 I get a 161 pound
average rider weight,

Are my calculations/assumptions correct?

Is it better to upgrade the 70mm or 100mm springs?

Which should be heavier, the 70mm or the 100mm springs? Does it matter?
Anyone around my weight have opinions?

TIA

Old June 11th 04, 03:06 AM
Slacker

LoomerMBV wrote:
I am looking for help getting the correct spring weight for myself so bear
with me. With Gear I am 220 pounds. I get 35% sag and major brake dive
now.

I pulled my 02 Jr T's apart and found that there are 2 springs in each leg.
I am assuming that one is for a 100mm fork and the other is for a 70mm fork.

Ok the 100mm is red and the 70mm is green.

Supposedly the 100mm red is for a 170 to 205 pound rider.
Supposedly the 70mm is for a 120 to 155 pound rider.

If I take the mid point of both springs and divide by 2 I get a 161 pound
average rider weight,

Are my calculations/assumptions correct?

Is it better to upgrade the 70mm or 100mm springs?

Which should be heavier, the 70mm or the 100mm springs? Does it matter?
Anyone around my weight have opinions?

TIA

Dang, I thought you were crazy, but sure enough the manual shows springs
per leg... that's whack!

I'm not too sure about your math because I don't think you can average
the spring rate like that. I mean a 120-155 spring rate is just that no
matter how you stack them. But then I was never good at word problems in
math.

Look you already know you're a bit under sprung based on your sag (not
that bad) and diving (really bad). So hears what I would, first thing in
the morning call Marzocchi tech support and tell them whats going on,
then let them tell you which springs you need. I believe they'll sell
them direct, but I'm not positive. If not, at least you'll know what you
need and you can start making some calls.

Just out of curiosity, did you buy this fork new from a shop or used
(private party)?

Btw, I aint no expert... maybe Carla and Mike are. Both of them
certainly have way more experience then me.

--
Slacker

Old June 11th 04, 04:04 AM
loomer

"Slacker" wrote in message news:2isib9FpsdilU1@uni
LoomerMBV wrote:
Dang, I thought you were crazy, but sure enough the manual shows springs
per leg... that's whack!

that is criss cross wiggity wiggity whack! I am crazy too - BTW. ;-()

Look you already know you're a bit under sprung based on your sag (not
that bad) and diving (really bad). So hears what I would, first thing in
the morning call Marzocchi tech support and tell them whats going on,
then let them tell you which springs you need. I believe they'll sell
them direct, but I'm not positive. If not, at least you'll know what you
need and you can start making some calls.

Just out of curiosity, did you buy this fork new from a shop or used
(private party)?

Btw, I aint no expert... maybe Carla and Mike are. Both of them
certainly have way more experience then me.

--
Slacker

Hey thanks for the reply I appreciate it. I know that I want heavier
springs but do I go the 70mm(which is the lighter of the two) or the 100mm
spring. I don't want to clobber the 70mm if I shouldn't for some reason.

Have you ever seen the movie called Slacker? I was one of them thar
Slackers :-) Ahh gonna listen to John Frusciante's last solo album and go
to bed. He is the greatest since Brian Wilson.

Old June 11th 04, 04:09 AM
loomer

"Slacker" wrote in message news:2isib9FpsdilU1@uni-
Just out of curiosity, did you buy this fork new from a shop or used
(private party)?

Oh about this. I got it from a local guy that didn't burn me or anything.
He just never did maintenance for 2 years and rode very light. I know it is
true.

I have taken them completely apart and rebuilt them 2 times in the last 4
months, just experimenting with oil levels and weights. Now it is time for
spring tuning.

Old June 11th 04, 05:08 AM
Slacker

loomer wrote:

Hey thanks for the reply I appreciate it. I know that I want heavier
springs but do I go the 70mm(which is the lighter of the two) or the 100mm
spring. I don't want to clobber the 70mm if I shouldn't for some reason.

Hey, more is always better! Isn't it?

Have you ever seen the movie called Slacker? I was one of them thar
Slackers :-) Ahh gonna listen to John Frusciante's last solo album and go
to bed. He is the greatest since Brian Wilson.

Never seen it. And who's John Frusciante and Brian Wilson?

--
Slacker
Old June 11th 04, 05:19 AM
ZeeExSixAre

LoomerMBV wrote:
I am looking for help getting the correct spring weight for myself so
bear with me. With Gear I am 220 pounds. I get 35% sag and major
brake dive now.

The 02 Jr. T that I had on my bike was insanely soft. I'm 145 and I would
get 6 of the 7 inches with brake dive, but every inch was buttery smooth...

Switched it out for a Dirt Jumper 2 with air assist... now, the springs on
these are way stiff, naturally. I let out all the air and it's just perfect
for me.

Sorry that I had no real good advice to offer you, but good luck!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old June 11th 04, 10:51 AM
bomba

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:08:41 -0700, Slacker wrote:

Never seen it. And who's John Frusciante and Brian Wilson?

Hope you're kidding...

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old June 11th 04, 12:44 PM
loomer

"Slacker" wrote in message
Never seen it. And who's John Frusciante and Brian Wilson?

--
Slacker

Brian Wilson is the Genius behing the songs the Beach Boys sang.

John Frusciante is the guy who plays guitar in the RHCP.

Check out johnfrusciante.com for free downloads of demos and a complete
acoustic performance of his new album.

Old June 11th 04, 02:22 PM
Carla A-G

"LoomerMBV" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am looking for help getting the correct spring weight for myself so bear
with me. With Gear I am 220 pounds. I get 35% sag and major brake dive
now.
I pulled my 02 Jr T's apart and found that there are 2 springs in each

leg.
I am assuming that one is for a 100mm fork and the other is for a 70mm

fork.

Ok the 100mm is red and the 70mm is green.

Supposedly the 100mm red is for a 170 to 205 pound rider.
Supposedly the 70mm is for a 120 to 155 pound rider.

If I take the mid point of both springs and divide by 2 I get a 161 pound
average rider weight,

Are my calculations/assumptions correct?

Is it better to upgrade the 70mm or 100mm springs?

Which should be heavier, the 70mm or the 100mm springs? Does it matter?
Anyone around my weight have opinions?

I have the same fork as you. The recommended sag for DH/heavy duty usage is
between 20-30% of the fork's total travel. Use the preload adjuster to
correct the sag on your fork.

You also have to consider the amount of oil that you have in the fork. They
recommend about 100mm of oil level (use a little more oil if you're a
heavier person). Make sure the oil is SAE 7.5wt. Nothing more, nothing less,
or else you'll wind up with a screwed up fork. You should change the oil
every 100 or so hours of usage, depending on how hard or how often you ride
the fork.

I don't know how you came about your math. Before you start changing any
springs in your fork, try playing with the oil level and preload adjustment
and see what happens.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old June 11th 04, 05:19 PM
LoomerMBV

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the reply. I have already tried changing the oil levels and I
tried the 7.5, 10 and now 15 weight oil too. I like the 15 weight the best.
SO I have been down those roads. My preload adjusters are maxed out too.

I am looking to the springs now to correct brake dive a excessive sag.

Any ideas?

Ping Carla A-G Loomer Mountain Biking 2 April 9th 04 03:31 PM
Ping: Carla A-G SuperClydesdale Mountain Biking 14 December 4th 03 04:04 PM