Ping Mike Dart and Slacker

Old December 22nd 04, 02:51 AM
Scott

Default Ping Mike Dart and Slacker

Hey I know Mike you had a Shiver and Slacker I believe you have on your
Turner so I got a couple questions.

I am 205 lbs. as of this morning so with gear that is putting me in the 217
to 220 range. What springs, oil height and oil weight did/do you guys run?

Have you guys tried the air preload mod?

Any tweaking tips for the Shiver? So far my oil height is 75mm and I have
7.5 weight oil and I am running the medium springs. The fork feels awesome
but I have been hitting a 6'5" drop with a shallow transition and it bottoms
pretty hard. Not to hard but enough for me to consider heavier springs or
more oil in the legs. Should I do both, one or the other?!

TIA guys

Old December 22nd 04, 03:26 AM
Slacker

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 02:51:12 GMT, Scott wrote:

Hey I know Mike you had a Shiver and Slacker I believe you have on you=

Turner so I got a couple questions.

I am 205 lbs. as of this morning so with gear that is putting me in th=

e =

217
to 220 range. What springs, oil height and oil weight did/do you guys=

=

run?

Hmmm, I was/am bout 200 with gear. The stock springs were a little too =

stiff for my liking, so I dropped down one spring rate. I'm using 5 wt =

Spectro oil, but only because my MX shop didn't have 7/7.5. Also running=
=

the recommended oil height per the manual. I really like the feel of it.=
=

If I did anything to it right now I'd remove a little oil.

But I also run about 4" sag in the rear too. I just like sitting a littl=
e =

deeper in the travel... just a personal thing... most other riders it's =
=

just the opposite.

Have you guys tried the air preload mod?

Not into the air feel, so no, and I don't plan on trying it.

Any tweaking tips for the Shiver? So far my oil height is 75mm and I =

=

have
7.5 weight oil and I am running the medium springs. The fork feels =

awesome
but I have been hitting a 6'5" drop with a shallow transition and it =

bottoms
pretty hard. Not to hard but enough for me to consider heavier spring=

s =

or
more oil in the legs. Should I do both, one or the other?!

TIA guys

I would suggest the next spring rate up and leave the oil weight the sam=
e =

for now. It's easy enough to change if you want to play with it later. I=
=

would also leave the oil height stock till you can get a good run on it.=
=

After that you'll have a better feel if you need to tweak the oil height=
..
-- =

Slacker
Old December 22nd 04, 03:33 AM
Scott

"Slacker" wrote in message
newspsjd3tmtdm83lxu@slacker...
But I also run about 4" sag in the rear too. I just like sitting a little
deeper in the travel... just a personal thing... most other riders it's
just the opposite.

Hey thanks man. I too like a lot of sag like 40%. Well I ordred the heavy
springs already. I may not put both in but at least one leg will get the
heavier spring.

I can't say I have ever ridden a better fork! The drops are just soaked
right up... untill I get a little bigger than 6' or so.

So how are you liking the Turner? I am thinking that next year I may get
the Turner DH or the Vantena DH frame. I am still using my Bullit frame and
I don't have any cash left for spending on my DH/FR rig. Just got an Evil
DRS, Shiver and Intense Mag 30 wheels for next season but the parts are
already installed and I have been riding the local indoor park with my new
setup.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:35 AM
Slacker

I have been hitting a 6'5" drop with a shallow transition and it
bottoms
pretty hard. Not to hard but enough for me to consider heavier sprin=

gs =

or
more oil in the legs. Should I do both, one or the other?!

TIA guys

Forgot to ask how's the sag? If it's good then just start adding a small=
=

amount of oil to each leg, but don't over do it, or you'll risk blowing =
=

the seals.

Mike will have more info on this... he's had a lot more time on his Shiv=
a.
-- =

Slacker
Old December 22nd 04, 03:47 AM
Slacker

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 03:33:40 GMT, Scott wrote:

"Slacker" wrote in message
newspsjd3tmtdm83lxu@slacker...
But I also run about 4" sag in the rear too. I just like sitting a =

little
deeper in the travel... just a personal thing... most other riders it=

's
just the opposite.

Hey thanks man. I too like a lot of sag like 40%. Well I ordred the =

=

heavy
springs already. I may not put both in but at least one leg will get =

the
heavier spring.

I can't say I have ever ridden a better fork! The drops are just soak=

ed
right up... untill I get a little bigger than 6' or so.

Yeah, the Shiver is actually scary. There was no speed or rock that I =

didn't feel safe at. It was like the harder I pushed it, the more cushy =
it =

got.

So how are you liking the Turner? I am thinking that next year I may =

get
the Turner DH or the Vantena DH frame. I am still using my Bullit fra=

me =

and
I don't have any cash left for spending on my DH/FR rig. Just got an =

=

Evil
DRS, Shiver and Intense Mag 30 wheels for next season but the parts ar=

already installed and I have been riding the local indoor park with my=

=

new
setup.

I love the Turner, but it's the only DH bike I've known. If I would've h=
ad =

the money after riding a couple of times, I would've bought another =

(spare) frame and kept in it my closet till I needed it :-) I highly =

recommend them, especially now that Turner has dumped Romic and has gone=
=

with the new Fox.

The Ventana looks and sound really good. I would just caution due to it'=
s =

newness. Even as good as Turner is, he was/is still learning about the =

loads some of his frames are seeing. It takes a couple/few years for a =

frame design to mature. Hopefully, Ventana's teething time is short, but=
I =

wouldn't risk that much money at this point.

-- =

Slacker
Old December 22nd 04, 03:54 AM
Scott

"Slacker" wrote in message
newspsjd4tddrm83lxu@slacker...
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 03:33:40 GMT, Scott wrote:
The Ventana looks and sound really good. I would just caution due to it's
newness. Even as good as Turner is, he was/is still learning about the
loads some of his frames are seeing. It takes a couple/few years for a
frame design to mature. Hopefully, Ventana's teething time is short, but I
wouldn't risk that much money at this point.

Ya it own't be for another 12 months, I need to get another whole season out
of my 03 Bullit frame. True man that is why I got the Bullit and not the
vp-free. The Bullit is a mature frame desingn.

I am really surprised at how much it took this year. I stripped my bike
down to check everything and I can't believe it but everything is fine.

Peace out brotha!

Old December 22nd 04, 10:18 PM
Michael Dart

Scott wrote:
Hey I know Mike you had a Shiver and Slacker I believe you have on
your Turner so I got a couple questions.

I am 205 lbs. as of this morning so with gear that is putting me in
the 217 to 220 range. What springs, oil height and oil weight did/do
you guys run?

Have you guys tried the air preload mod?

Any tweaking tips for the Shiver? So far my oil height is 75mm and I
have
7.5 weight oil and I am running the medium springs. The fork feels
awesome but I have been hitting a 6'5" drop with a shallow transition
and it bottoms pretty hard. Not to hard but enough for me to
consider heavier springs or more oil in the legs. Should I do both,
one or the other?!

TIA guys

I had mine setup very stiff. It kept dumping me over the bars in big rock
gardens. Extra Heavy springs and 10wt Bel-Ray oil. It rode like a
jackhammer in small stuff but was bottomless on big drops. I like the
adjustment I have with the 888r. I can set it up for any conditions with
stock springs and oil. Too bad the lowers are made of cheese.

Mike

Old December 22nd 04, 11:11 PM
Scott

"Michael Dart" wrote in message
I had mine setup very stiff. It kept dumping me over the bars in big rock
gardens. Extra Heavy springs and 10wt Bel-Ray oil. It rode like a
jackhammer in small stuff but was bottomless on big drops. I like the
adjustment I have with the 888r. I can set it up for any conditions with
stock springs and oil. Too bad the lowers are made of cheese.

Mike

So how much do you weigh with gear on and what was your oil height?

Old December 23rd 04, 01:52 AM
Michael Dart

Scott wrote:
"Michael Dart" wrote in message
I had mine setup very stiff. It kept dumping me over the bars in
big rock gardens. Extra Heavy springs and 10wt Bel-Ray oil. It
rode like a jackhammer in small stuff but was bottomless on big
drops. I like the adjustment I have with the 888r. I can set it up
for any conditions with stock springs and oil. Too bad the lowers
are made of cheese.

Mike

So how much do you weigh with gear on and what was your oil height?

Probably about 190-200 with all my gear. Stock oil height.

Mike