A new use for spokes

Old September 15th 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default A new use for spokes

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...glightSPth.jpg

"'A hand-made gadget by a certain Japanese enthusiast.' Stronglight 49
crankarms with spoked-wheel spider armature, made of thin spokes
(1.2mm diameter), with 51- and 45-tooth Simplex chainrings, on a
custom Toei bike."

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainring.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 15th 07, 06:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Carl Fogel wrote:

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...glightSPth.jpg

"'A hand-made gadget by a certain Japanese enthusiast.' Stronglight 49
crankarms with spoked-wheel spider armature, made of thin spokes
(1.2mm diameter), with 51- and 45-tooth Simplex chainrings, on a
custom Toei bike."

The idea of having to true my chainrings periodically is more than I
can bear. I think I'll stick with "mags" and "discs".

Chalo

Old September 15th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 05:37:43 -0000, Chalo
wrote:

Carl Fogel wrote:

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...glightSPth.jpg

"'A hand-made gadget by a certain Japanese enthusiast.' Stronglight 49
crankarms with spoked-wheel spider armature, made of thin spokes
(1.2mm diameter), with 51- and 45-tooth Simplex chainrings, on a
custom Toei bike."

The idea of having to true my chainrings periodically is more than I
can bear. I think I'll stick with "mags" and "discs".

Chalo

Dear Chalo,

Are you sure?

I often read on RBT that once a wheel has been properly built, the
spokes never need to be touched again until the rims wear out, a stick
or the chain damages the spokes, or an airline employee attacks it in
transit.

A novel spider would be a way for you to stand out in the crowd in
Texas, instead of modestly blending in like a dwarf sasquatch refugee
on dull bikes like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d.../tallride4.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 15th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
wrote:

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...glightSPth.jpg

"'A hand-made gadget by a certain Japanese enthusiast.' Stronglight 49
crankarms with spoked-wheel spider armature, made of thin spokes
(1.2mm diameter), with 51- and 45-tooth Simplex chainrings, on a
custom Toei bike."

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainring.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Genius!

Now, how many other bike parts would be amenable to replacement with
spokes?

Downtube, for one,

Old September 15th 07, 07:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 05:50:33 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...glightSPth.jpg

"'A hand-made gadget by a certain Japanese enthusiast.' Stronglight 49
crankarms with spoked-wheel spider armature, made of thin spokes
(1.2mm diameter), with 51- and 45-tooth Simplex chainrings, on a
custom Toei bike."

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainring.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Genius!

Now, how many other bike parts would be amenable to replacement with
spokes?

Downtube, for one,

Dear Ryan,

Well, in-tension down-tubes (and chainstays) were a bit thicker than
spokes . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2139683&size=o

But they were a common design in early frames.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 15th 07, 07:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

A chance for Jobst Brandt to write another book.

Old September 15th 07, 08:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

wrote:

Carl Fogel wrote:

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...glightSPth.jpg

"'A hand-made gadget by a certain Japanese enthusiast.' Stronglight 49
crankarms with spoked-wheel spider armature, made of thin spokes
(1.2mm diameter), with 51- and 45-tooth Simplex chainrings, on a
custom Toei bike."

The idea of having to true my chainrings periodically is more than I
can bear. I think I'll stick with "mags" and "discs".

Chalo

Dear Chalo,

Are you sure?

I often read on RBT that once a wheel has been properly built, the
spokes never need to be touched again until the rims wear out, a stick
or the chain damages the spokes, or an airline employee attacks it in
transit.

Assuming a perfect vacuum and pavement asperities not exceeding (1.47
x 10^-3) x (diameter of wheel) RMS. Hmmm... since I ride in
conditions like that, my wheels must be coming out of true from time
to time for some other reason. Maybe my cats are trying their paws at
cycle maintenance?

A novel spider would be a way for you to stand out in the crowd in
Texas, instead of modestly blending in like a dwarf sasquatch refugee
on dull bikes like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d.../tallride4.jpg

If I used my preferred 48 spoke cross-five pattern, I might be the
toast of the local lowrider bicycle contingent. I wonder how well a
72 spoke radially laced version would hold up? Perhaps comparably to
the sassy, classy twisted sprocket: http://www.lowrider-depot.com/36830.jpg

Old September 15th 07, 08:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 05:50:33 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...glightSPth.jpg

"'A hand-made gadget by a certain Japanese enthusiast.' Stronglight 49
crankarms with spoked-wheel spider armature, made of thin spokes
(1.2mm diameter), with 51- and 45-tooth Simplex chainrings, on a
custom Toei bike."

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainring.html

Now, how many other bike parts would be amenable to replacement with
spokes?

Downtube, for one,

Dear Ryan,

Well, in-tension down-tubes (and chainstays) were a bit thicker than
spokes . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2139683&size=o

But they were a common design in early frames.

http://www.slingshotbikes.com/technology/slingpower

Pay no attention to the "dead spot elimination" claims.

Old September 15th 07, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Carl Fogel wrote:

[...]

The cats might take a while to accept it, but . . .

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...headplate2.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 15th 07, 08:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 07:27:57 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 05:50:33 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...glightSPth.jpg

"'A hand-made gadget by a certain Japanese enthusiast.' Stronglight 49
crankarms with spoked-wheel spider armature, made of thin spokes
(1.2mm diameter), with 51- and 45-tooth Simplex chainrings, on a
custom Toei bike."

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainring.html

Now, how many other bike parts would be amenable to replacement with
spokes?

Downtube, for one,

Dear Ryan,

Well, in-tension down-tubes (and chainstays) were a bit thicker than
spokes . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2139683&size=o

But they were a common design in early frames.

http://www.slingshotbikes.com/technology/slingpower

Pay no attention to the "dead spot elimination" claims.

Dear Ryan,

Turning just the downtube into a spring doesn't eliminate the dead
spot--they need to replace the chainstays, too!

And maybe add a little tension to the back of the seat:

http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/index.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel