A new use for spokes

Old September 15th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Default A new use for spokes

wrote:
http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...glightSPth.jpg

"'A hand-made gadget by a certain Japanese enthusiast.' Stronglight 49
crankarms with spoked-wheel spider armature, made of thin spokes
(1.2mm diameter), with 51- and 45-tooth Simplex chainrings, on a
custom Toei bike."

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainring.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

interesting, but nowhere near as interesting as the shimano 10mm also
shown on that page. i'd like to see shimano revive that idea.
Old September 15th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 14, 11:50 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...glightSPth.jpg

"'A hand-made gadget by a certain Japanese enthusiast.' Stronglight 49
crankarms with spoked-wheel spider armature, made of thin spokes
(1.2mm diameter), with 51- and 45-tooth Simplex chainrings, on a
custom Toei bike."

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainring.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Genius!

Now, how many other bike parts would be amenable to replacement with
spokes?

Downtube, for one,

--
Ryan Cousineau /

Well, there was a tri-bike that had a spoke for a down-tube, or maybe
a cable. don't remember the name of the frame.

Old September 15th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Bennett

The cats might take a while to accept it, but . . .

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...headplate2.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Thanks for that, Carl. You have just simplified my Halloween plans for
this year.

Ted

--
Ted Bennett
Old September 15th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

wrote:
http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...glightSPth.jpg
"'A hand-made gadget by a certain Japanese enthusiast.' Stronglight 49
crankarms with spoked-wheel spider armature, made of thin spokes
(1.2mm diameter), with 51- and 45-tooth Simplex chainrings, on a
custom Toei bike."
http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainring.html
Cheers,
Carl Fogel

Genius!

Now, how many other bike parts would be amenable to replacement with
spokes?

Downtube, for one,

--
Ryan Cousineau /

Well, there was a tri-bike that had a spoke for a down-tube, or maybe
a cable. don't remember the name of the frame.

more evidence of the abysmal engineering schools we have these days.
"engineers" that don't consider torsion in frame design? they probably
don't understand the difference between elasticity and plasticity either.
Old September 15th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
Genius!
Now, how many other bike parts would be amenable to replacement with
spokes?
Downtube, for one,

wrote:
Well, in-tension down-tubes (and chainstays) were a bit thicker than
spokes . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2139683&size=o
But they were a common design in early frames.

He may have been thinking Slingshot.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old September 15th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole

wrote:
[...]

http://www.slingshotbikes.com/technology/slingpower

"Slingpower"? How appropriate.

Of course it does have a composite element, should be great, infinite
strength & rigidity. Fortunately it's also replaceable.
Old September 15th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Carl Fogel writes:

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...glightSPth.jpg

"'A hand-made gadget by a certain Japanese enthusiast.' Stronglight 49
crankarms with spoked-wheel spider armature, made of thin spokes
(1.2mm diameter), with 51- and 45-tooth Simplex chainrings, on a
custom Toei bike."

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainring.html

Interesting picture of John Howard's land speed record bicycle. I
recall seeing it at InterBike and noting that the gear was so high
that it could not be moved by pedaling. The bicycle had to be towed
up to a speed that the airfoil developed enough vortex to propel the
bicycle. The airfoil behind the racing car was so effective that he
had to use the brake to not hit the bumper bar that is visible in the
picture. The "throttle" was on Howard's handlebar so he wouldn't get
dropped by slight speed variation of the pace car.

If find such efforts mainly a show of derring-do.

Jobst Brandt
Old September 16th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Sep 15, 6:22 am, jim beam wrote:
wrote:
http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...glightSPth.jpg

"'A hand-made gadget by a certain Japanese enthusiast.' Stronglight 49
crankarms with spoked-wheel spider armature, made of thin spokes
(1.2mm diameter), with 51- and 45-tooth Simplex chainrings, on a
custom Toei bike."

http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainring.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

interesting, but nowhere near as interesting as the shimano 10mm also
shown on that page. i'd like to see shimano revive that idea.

Why stop at 10mm?

http://sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive/index.html

Old September 16th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

rolled out to post a letter saturday morning and there was a man
standing on the walk holding a plastic cup wanting a urine sample.

Old September 16th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR%20Bike02.htm