Hazards of night cycling

Old September 25th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole

Default Hazards of night cycling

Greens wrote:
"Peter Cole" wrote in message
. ..
Greens wrote:

Conclusion: I'm going to blame my crappy headlight. It's only good for
roads on which there are no cars and no gravel patches or surprises like
pot holes and large dead animals. Shoulders have a lot of crap on them.
Much easier to see in the day. I may have to get a much brighter light or
face the effects of crash at 20 mph which can break bones or get your run
over.

The industry, if it had any scruples, shouldn't even sell a weak light.
It gives false confidence. It has surprising weaknesses that can lead to
disaster.

There are "seeing" lights and "be seen" lights. The best rule of thumb is
"never outride your lights". Sounds like you either had a "be seen" light
where you needed a "seeing" light, or you were riding 20mph with a 10mph
light.

Again, should it be left up to the individual cyclist to think of when a "be
seen" light or "seeing" light is necessary? Individuals don't have time to
test things extensively. They have to trust merchants and manufacturers.
Those parties are only interested in making profits. The solution is
regulation.

Perhaps. But I think what you mean is *more* regulation. Currently,
bicycle lighting seems covered on a state-by-state basis. My state (MA)
requires a headlight visible from 500', a taillight (or reflector)
visible from 600', and pedal or ankle reflectors visible from 600'
(where the 600' implies lit from normal low beams). That's it. There's
no requirement for the amount of road illumination.

Whether you ride or not, you're using a public road. Certain
safety requirements need to be met because everyone faces the same oncoming
vehicles and road hazards. It doesn't matter how cheap their vehicle is. Do
you think that pedestrians and cyclists should be exempt from safety
requirements? That's how it is now. You can walk, children can walk on the
side of high speed traffic without any lights or reflectors. Is that how you
want things to be?

I'd rather not broaden the question to include walkers. It's not how I'd
send my kids out, and I'll leave it at that.

As for lights, the law seems to be aimed at protecting cyclists from
being hit by motorists, not for protecting cyclists from road hazards.
I'm no expert, but I believe some countries do have more demanding
requirements for lights. I guess that would be a good thing, or at least
to have a minimum spec for manufacturers to certify to, whether it was
required or not.

This is the sort of issue a bike shop is there to help with. Most shops
stock a variety of lights and have the expertise to help you select. If
you buy mail-order or discount house, you're on your own, which is true
for a lot of other things besides lights. Of course there are resources
like this group, there are usually several threads on lights around this
time of the year (don't forget the archives).

As I said before, the cardinal rule is: never outride your lights.
People's night vision varies, weather varies, ambient light varies, etc.
Sometimes you just don't have enough light for the conditions and you
have to adjust your speed accordingly.

I might also add that shoulders are a pretty bad place to ride,
particularly at night. I usually try to observe the "debris line", which
marks the edge of the area swept by car tires. I ride just to the left
of it (US). If there's a paved shoulder and a fog line painted to mark
the lane edge, I may use it if it's clean, but that's a tough call,
especially at night -- it's not guaranteed to be clean -- crap in the
travel lane usually gets flattened or swept aside, not true on the shoulder.
Old September 25th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 25, 11:11 am, "Greens" wrote:
"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" wrote in
oglegroups.com...

Greens wrote:
At the risk of sounding obsessed with safety, I will describe an incident
this evening while riding downhill on a road I've only been on once
before.
Please note; I'd rather this didn't turn into a discussion about me or
my
obsessions, rather I'd prefer it if other night riders shared their tales
of
near disaster and disaster not averted. This would be in the interest of
educating the night riding public in avoiding problems.

It was dark, clear night and I was using my Cateye EL 300 headlight with
new
batteries. I was going downhill on the shoulder of a well maintened road.
Cars were few. All of a sudden I noticed something just ahead. It looked
like white rocks. I thought about ten rocks, each a half inch to an inch
in
diameter. It was too late to do anything else. I ran right into them and
my surprise I found my front wheel on my mountain bike sliding sideways
about six inches. Just as I was about to go down, I cleared the rocks. A
little shaken, I made note of a house with lights on either side of the
garage door lit so that I might drive back and look the thing over in
better
light. The rider passing before me hadn't noticed anything. I noticed a
colorful barrel marking some recent work in the middle of the shoulder
not
too much further along. There I swerved around the barrel into the
traffic
lanes rather than hit the barrel.

I drove back and found the garage and it's lights. Drove along slowly and
found.... a graveled entrance to... who knows and who cares? The gravel
covered the whole shoulder for about the width of a driveway.

How is it that I didn't spot this sooner? Why didn't the previous rider
have
trouble with this? My guess is a car had been coming and I kept my head
down
to avoid being blinded. This cuts down my visibility to about 25 feet.
Going
downhill at maybe 18 or 20mph that doesn't leave a lot of time to do
evasive
manuvers, but also if the oncoming car was timed just right, he might
have
gone by just before I got to the gravel when I was adjusting to my low
light
LED.

Conclusion: I'm going to blame my crappy headlight. It's only good for
roads
on which there are no cars and no gravel patches or surprises like pot
holes
and large dead animals. Shoulders have a lot of crap on them. Much easier
see in the day. I may have to get a much brighter light or face the
effects
of crash at 20 mph which can break bones or get your run over.

The industry, if it had any scruples, shouldn't even sell a weak light.
It
gives false confidence. It has surprising weaknesses that can lead to
disaster.

Absolutely..take NO responsibility for yourself, blame Cateye-Huh???

Look at how bright the light is and ride accordingly...If you take a
road bike with 20mm tires onto a MTB trail and then crash, are ya
gonna blame the tire maker?

If you want a brighter light, buy a brighter light and be prepared to
pay more for it. No such thing as a free lunch.

Have you had a near disaster while riding at night? Post your experience
and
conclusion.

Riding downhill at the speed I was going was a reasonable speed. The cars
were few and 99.999% of the road was smooth. Am I supposed to ride at 10mph
the whole 7 miles just in case there is a patch of gravel? Seems unlikely
anyone would be that cautious. That's why I blame the light and Cateye for
not testing the light extensively in actual use. A little night use of the
light by responsible evaluators would quickly turn up it's weaknesses and
dangers but cateye and the people selling them are only interested in
capturing the cheapskate market who wants to ride at night. They know that
most people won't buy a $400 light for a few nights of riding and they know
that those same people will spend $40 towards the same purpose if they're
adequately assured (bull****ted) that it is safe so they put the light on
the market even though they know the light is an inadequate piece of crap.
If someone gets hurt and actually has the ballls to go to court, they know
that cyclists have a reputation for being odd and that bicycles aren't seen
as legitimate road vehicles in court. The light won't be held to the same
standards of safety that a light on a licensed motor vehicle.- Hide quoted text -

"capturing the cheapskate market who wants to ride at night."

You wouldn't happen to be part of this cheapskate market, would you
Greens? At some point, the individual has to take some responsibility.
If the light is good for 10mph, that's what you ride at. In town with
well-lit streets, that light is probably fine for doing the primary
job of a light in that situation, namely making other traffic aware of
the cyclist.

Smokey

Old September 25th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greens

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 25, 6:11 pm, "Greens" wrote:

Riding downhill at the speed I was going was a reasonable speed. The cars
were few and 99.999% of the road was smooth. Am I supposed to ride at
10mph
the whole 7 miles just in case there is a patch of gravel?

Yes. If the light only lights up far enough to see stuff in time to
react at 10mph, that what you have to do.

[...]

I think yuo a reading WAY more into this than there is. Products of
all sorts come in a variety of quality and utlity levels. You can buy
cheap-o screwdrivers that barely work one time, or you can get top-
notch stuff. Sometimes the cheap one is all you need, sometimes it's
not. Same with everything else.

Joseph

You can buy cheap crap like that THESE DAYS, but you couldn't do that 40
years ago when there were real hardware stores, Sonny. See years ago, you'd
go to the hardware store and there'd be the owner there and he wouldn't sell
you a piece of **** without telling you it was a piece of **** that nobody
in their right mind would want to own. He'd be looking out for you and for
himself. His store was small not like home depot and lowes. There was no
room for carrying cheap **** and the attitude back then was that tools were
a serious thing that shouldn't be crap.

The new attitude is "If they'll buy it, **** it, we'll sell it to them.
Build a bigger store and parking lot. Fire all the guys with experience.
Hire a bunch of ex hamburger flippers that don't know anything and sell any
****ing thing. Get out of the advice business unless it's to give bad advice
like buy on our easy payment plan or buy our service contract for our ****
product that won't last." LOL rant over

Old September 25th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greens

ups.com...

Greens wrote:
[...]

Yea. I love the cheap stuff, but that's because the value of the expensive
stuff isn't sold. They don't push wise choices. They push easy, cheap, this
is what you want, who gives a **** what you need, marketing.

Cheap stuff, if it causes serious injury, is not cheap. How much is
treatment for a broken arm compared to $500 for a good light? It's nothing.
Avoiding the pain and inconvenience of a broken arm is worth $500. Avoiding
the huge hospital and doctor bills is worth even more. But how do they sell
the lights? Look in the catalogs. They tell you this light is one of the
brightest LED's available from the geniuses at Cateye. I called Performance
up and the technician told me those cheap lights are "safety lights".
They're there for you to be seen not to see. This isn't clearly spelled out
in the ads. The idea that giving you false confidence in a cheap light is
"safety" is perverse. If anything they're luring you into a dangerous
practice so they can make a few measly bucks that they do on cheap lights.

As it turns out, the light isn't even that good for being seen. Cars see
something, but they don't know what it is. It looks like a flashlight. It
could be snowmobile or ATV. Mostly I think they're wondering, "What the hell
is he doing on the road at night?

Old September 25th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greens

"Wayne" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 25, 11:19 am, "Greens" wrote:
"Peter Cole" wrote in message

. ..

Greens wrote:

[...]

regulation. Whether you ride or not, you're using a public road. Certain
safety requirements need to be met because everyone faces the same
oncoming
vehicles and road hazards. It doesn't matter how cheap their vehicle is.
Do
you think that pedestrians and cyclists should be exempt from safety
requirements? That's how it is now. You can walk, children can walk on
the
side of high speed traffic without any lights or reflectors. Is that how
you
want things to be?

I pass a commuter on his bike to a fast food place each morning. He
travels slowly down a well lit road and he rides an inexpensive old
cruiser. He uses one of those cheap battery lights and it serves the
vital purpose of making him highly visible. If your proposed
regulation permitted only the sale of powerful lights that would cost
him about a weeks pay, this guy just would probably just ride without
one. Cheap lights are better than no lights.

Wayne

Not if they cops told him he couldn't ride on the road at night without a
light. In New York it's the law. I don't know if it's enforced. I saw kids
riding around at night last night with no reflectors or lights of any kind
just like kids always have. They made some sarcastic comments as we went by
too. "Nice lights". Yea? How do you like my mace, you fricken delinquents,
lol?

Old September 25th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greens

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
. ..
Greens wrote:
"Peter Cole" wrote in message
. ..
Greens wrote:

[...]

I agree with most of what you said. I don't agree that discount houses
should be allowed to sell any old junk when it comes to safety. Regulation
can see to it that they don't.

Lots of cyclists are very pro freedom and anti regulation. What could be
cooler than to be against stupid regulations? The thing is there are reasons
for rules and uniformity. You can't drive as fast as you want with a car.
You can't just duct tape flashlights on your car. Why should that sort of
thing be allowed with bicycles? You're using public roads with all kinds of
vehicles. An unconscious cyclist laying in the middle of the road because of
unseen road debris is a hazard to all the cars and bikes on the road as well
as to himself (or at least he was a hazard to himself). It's just false to
say they can't control what people put on their bicycles for lighting. What
they really mean is they're too lazy to bother with them. The attitude is
"go kill yourself if you want. We don't care. We can't be bothered to set
up standards."

Old September 25th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greens

"Crescentius Vespasianus" wrote in message
Buy the equipment you need for safe night bike riding. The one time I had
to do some hospital time from a day time bike crash cost me $1000, and the
insurance company $5000 more. So that's the benchmark I use. So if you
compare it to that, batteries and lights and some reflector gear is really
quite cheap. Buy a good handlebar light, a helmet mounted light and you
are business. The el-300 doesn't cut it, the el-500 is the best of the
cheap cateye lights. The helmet mounted princeton tec EOS is pretty good
for road, and you point the beam right in front, when blinded by car high
beams. Put a couple good rear lights on the back, and put some ankle
reflectors on, and you'll be seen by cars. Most rear lights, I've seen do
a pretty good job, even the cheap ones. But I use rechargeable batteries
in them, to make them as bright as possible. The best rear light you can
buy is naturally useless, with dead or dying batteries. I prefer night
riding to day riding, but you have to have the right stuff.

I'm agree with you completely. I use two tail lights so they're redundant.
If one goes out, I might not know it, but at least I've got the second
light. I've rigged one tail light to the back of my helmet so that it's up
higher and can be seen further away and through higher SUV windows.

Old September 25th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Greens wrote:
Conclusion: I'm going to blame my crappy headlight

-snip-
The industry, if it had any scruples, shouldn't even sell a weak light

-snip-
I don't agree that discount houses
should be allowed to sell any old junk when it comes to safety. Regulation
can see to it that they don't.

-snip-
The attitude is
"go kill yourself if you want. We don't care. We can't be bothered to set
up standards."

Sounds good to me. Is there a problem?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old September 25th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Greens wrote:

The industry, if it had any scruples, shouldn't even sell a weak light. It
gives false confidence. It has surprising weaknesses that can lead to
disaster.

The issue of crappy lights being legal lights for bicycles is indeed a
problem. It gives people a false sense of security when they mount a toy
light to their handlebars. Those lights are good for "being seen" and
being legal, but they are not for very dark areas, or riding at a
relatively quick pace.

If you want to ride 15-20 mph at night in very dark places, get some
good lights. There are a lot of new lighting products on the market and
you can get started for well under $100 with a powerful battery powered
headlight with a proper beam that illuminates not only sufficiently far
ahead, but off to the sides as well.

For around town, you can get some dynamo lights, but they aren't
powerful enough for the type of cycling where you had your little
incident, except for perhaps the new Solidlight 1203D.

Look into some of the new Cree LED flashlights as well. This is a
relatively inexpensive alternative to lights like the DiNotte (still not
as cheap as a CatEye EL300).

Simply type "Bicycle Lighting" into the Google Search box, then click
"I'm Feeling Lucky." You'll be taken to the pre-eminent web site for
bicycle lighting in the world. This site will show you how to set up
lighting that enables you to ride more safely at night.

Steve
"http://bicyclelighting.com"

Anyone see the cycling movie last night? Treadly Australia 6 June 13th 06 12:05 AM
Using cycling glasses at night. Drinky UK 10 November 21st 05 11:19 PM
Cycling night on BBC 4 Steph Peters UK 4 July 2nd 05 12:23 PM
What's the deal with NIGHT cycling? Astro-Geek General 7 August 16th 04 02:23 PM
cycling night on bbc 4 flembo UK 18 July 31st 04 02:32 PM