Should my seat be that far forward?

Old September 30th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Should my seat be that far forward?

I'm a 39 yr. old male recreational cyclist who averages nearly 200
mile/week. I've experimented extensively (obsessively?) with my fit
over the years. It turns out that I'm the fastest with the saddle tip
a mere 3 cm behind BB, despite my very lengthy 91 cm inseam.
Everything I've read says taller people should have their seats
further rearward. I've tried riding in a more "normal" position --
knee near or behind BB -- for several years, including with the seat
several cm lower than I have it now (81 cm, BB-center of seat). (I do
understand how fore-aft affects seat height and vice-versa.) But I
can still climb a 10% grade at least 2 mph faster in this "extreme
forward" position . . . and I don't just mean "sprinters climbs,"
either. (I've often read how a forward position is "not efficient"
for climbing.) And, yes, I did adjust the seat-bar distance when
moving the seat back. (I now know how reach can also dramatically
affect power output.) Any idea on why the "fast-forward" position is
fastest for me? Could it be related to my job as a mailman, with all
the standing and walking it entails? (Is that the reason tri-athletes
use the forward position, because they also run?) Or, am I not doing
something correctly?

Old September 30th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 29, 9:25 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

"Knee near or behind BB" is NOT normal -- you must have meant pedal spindle.

DUH!!!!! Yeah, thats what I meant!

Old September 30th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 29, 7:59 pm, wrote:
[...]

Alexi Griewal, the Olympic medal winner, ran his seat high and very
far forward. He won the Mt. Evans hill climb one year, so it must have
worked for him.

Smokey

Looking forward to the RR on this one ... RobM Australia 0 September 3rd 06 02:56 AM
Hopping forward? Klown Unicycling 1 September 18th 05 09:23 AM
Forward Elevated Hop skate4flip Unicycling 30 July 28th 05 07:25 PM
WTB: Forward seatpost ryno Marketplace 0 July 5th 04 01:35 AM
Right foot forward or Left foot forward? uni412 Unicycling 10 March 30th 04 03:16 PM