Staying Warm according to New York Times

Old February 12th 19, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Staying Warm according to New York Times

Staying warm, according to the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/11/s...e-commute.html

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 12th 19, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 10:32:58 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Staying warm, according to the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/11/s...e-commute.html

- Frank Krygowski

A can of Sterno on a gimble mount on the handlebar or front rack and a flexible metal tube something like a home dryer vent works wonders when the open end of the vent tube is placed under a jacket. I did that one winter when the temperature with the wind chill was extremely frigid. Sterno fuel is a paste and that eliminates any danger of fire if you crash. A swingout cutoff plate between the Sterno and the metal tube allows for regulating the amount of heat you get.

Oversize boots can have hand warmers placed inside of them as can mitts.

Cheers
Old February 12th 19, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 9:32:58 AM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Staying warm, according to the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/11/s...e-commute.html

- Frank Krygowski

What they wrote is more or less correct. Riding in winter really doesn't require too much special. Most important thing is the determination to do it. Its cold. So you try to avoid cold. The article says old mountain bike with studded tires. Good. Tights or long johns. Good. Buff? Assume that is a balaclava. Good for winter riding. Wool socks. Also good. Need to keep feet warm. He wears hiking boots, not bike specific shoes. Works for shorter commutes.

The vast majority of commuting, year round, requires the determination to do it. That is the most important thing. Not much special equipment is needed.
Old February 12th 19, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 8:26:24 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 9:32:58 AM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Staying warm, according to the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/11/s...e-commute.html

- Frank Krygowski

What they wrote is more or less correct. Riding in winter really doesn't require too much special. Most important thing is the determination to do it. Its cold. So you try to avoid cold. The article says old mountain bike with studded tires. Good. Tights or long johns. Good. Buff? Assume that is a balaclava. Good for winter riding. Wool socks. Also good. Need to keep feet warm. He wears hiking boots, not bike specific shoes. Works for shorter commutes.

The vast majority of commuting, year round, requires the determination to do it. That is the most important thing. Not much special equipment is needed.

She is using her CX skiing gear, which is basically relaxed fit winter cycling gear without a reinforced crotch. The rider in the picture has a fleece jacket, which I don't think is a smart choice. I always wear a shell, although for CX skiing/skating, my shell was a winter jersey with a wind-front or finished front (not fuzzy to hold snow flakes), but dressing for high-output winter sport is different from dressing for a low effort commute. I do think a mitt or lobster claw is the way to go in really cold weather. I also prefer a purpose built balaclava rather than a tube, although my son uses the tube. It's a millennial thing or Antifa.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 13th 19, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 07:32:55 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Staying warm, according to the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/11/s...e-commute.html

And who can resist clicking on "(And if you’re new to commuting by
bike, here are all the basics you’ll need.)"?

I never knew that I have to keep my stuff in a front basket so that I
can see when something bounces out! Silly me, I've been bungeeing it
down, or putting it into a plastic bag and tying the handles to the
pannier. I can fall off the bike, and nothing falls out.

A few months ago, I slipped while trying to dismount before walking
across a slick stretch, and no harm was done to the pannier of glass
that I was taking to Goodwill. (One subsequent trips, I dismounted
much sooner.)

A few years ago, after hitting an inconspicuous trench across the
Chinworth Bridge Trail, I did have to go back to pick up a water
bottle I'd tossed into a pannier.

Surprisingly, clicking various links on that site turned up
mostly-sensible advice.

And not one item like the "advice" I once read from some "expert" that
one should never, never ride on a street that isn't lined with parked
cars.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net