Should I let this guy marry my daughter?

Old August 19th 04, 12:25 AM
Leo Lichtman

You have not given us enough information on which to base our advice, nor to
reach a conclusion. I think you should consider the following questions:

1. What kind of clothing does he wear while riding? Does he wear proper
riding garb? Skin-tight riding shorts which wick away perspiration, and
announce to the world that his main function in life is riding his
bicycle(s). Or is he commonly seen in a pair of faded blue jeans with holes
in the knees? And if the latter is true, can you discern whether he wears
those clothes as a fashion statement, or because he can't afford anything
better?

2. When he brings a bottle of wine, is it GOOD wine? It needn't be an
extremely expensive wine, but it ought to be something beyond pedestrian. In
fact, if he always brings very expensive wine, it may mean that he does not
trust himself to judge the quality of the wines he buys--this can tell you a
lot about his character.

3. How are his table manners? Even if your daughter is willing to tolerate
bad manners, or is oblivious to them, remember there will be numerous family
occasions when he will eat at your table, or you at his. Do not permit
yourself to be sentenced to a lifetime of suffering at those times which
should be the high points of your relationship, and which should provide
everlasting memories of joy.

4. Is his Huffy a form of social statement--possibly a form of reverse
snobbery? Maybe he has a sense of humor, and enjoys driving around in his
BMW with the Huffy on the back.

Old August 19th 04, 12:53 AM
David Reuteler

Leo Lichtman wrote:
2. When he brings a bottle of wine, is it GOOD wine? It needn't be an
extremely expensive wine, but it ought to be something beyond pedestrian. In
fact, if he always brings very expensive wine, it may mean that he does not
trust himself to judge the quality of the wines he buys--this can tell you a
lot about his character.

yow .. that's harsh. i follow the steinbeck tortilla flats model of wine
consumption. anyhow, my favourite wine is and always will be a $5 bottle
of chilean merlot (123) straight out of the bottle. in the old days i may
even have sold plasma (but not stolen chickens) to buy it.
--
david reuteler

Old August 19th 04, 01:00 AM
AustinMN

Leo Lichtman wrote:
You have not given us enough information on which to base our advice, nor

reach a conclusion. I think you should consider the following questions:

1. What kind of clothing does he wear while riding? Does he wear proper
riding garb? Skin-tight riding shorts which wick away perspiration, and
announce to the world that his main function in life is riding his
bicycle(s). Or is he commonly seen in a pair of faded blue jeans with

holes
in the knees? And if the latter is true, can you discern whether he wears
those clothes as a fashion statement, or because he can't afford anything
better?

Mixed bag.

2. When he brings a bottle of wine, is it GOOD wine? It needn't be an
extremely expensive wine, but it ought to be something beyond pedestrian.

In
fact, if he always brings very expensive wine, it may mean that he does

not
trust himself to judge the quality of the wines he buys--this can tell you

lot about his character.

Still under 21. I don't see the wines he brings (if any) because I would
confiscate them (and either share them with my wife or dump them if they're
real bad).

3. How are his table manners? Even if your daughter is willing to tolerate
bad manners, or is oblivious to them, remember there will be numerous

family
occasions when he will eat at your table, or you at his. Do not permit
yourself to be sentenced to a lifetime of suffering at those times which
should be the high points of your relationship, and which should provide
everlasting memories of joy.

Impecable table manners. My daughter could learn a thing or two from him.

4. Is his Huffy a form of social statement--possibly a form of reverse
snobbery? Maybe he has a sense of humor, and enjoys driving around in his
BMW with the Huffy on the back.

Well that's the thing. He's chosen a no-car lifestyle, which is good, but
on a Huffy?

Austin
--
You programmed with 1s and 0s? We only had 0s!
There are no X characters in my address

Old August 19th 04, 01:24 AM
David Reuteler

AustinMN wrote:
So when he asks me, what should I say?

actually, a lot of that is going to depend on whether or not he reads USENET.
--
david reuteler

Old August 19th 04, 01:49 AM
Fx199

When they visit, have them enter through the back
door and place their huffies under a tarp.

Does he ride well?
Can he beat you on his Huffy?
Does he keep it in good condition?
Old August 19th 04, 03:27 AM
Frank Krygowski

David Reuteler wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

2. When he brings a bottle of wine, is it GOOD wine? It needn't be an
extremely expensive wine, but it ought to be something beyond pedestrian. In
fact, if he always brings very expensive wine, it may mean that he does not
trust himself to judge the quality of the wines he buys--this can tell you a
lot about his character.

yow .. that's harsh. i follow the steinbeck tortilla flats model of wine
consumption. anyhow, my favourite wine is and always will be a $5 bottle
of chilean merlot (123) straight out of the bottle. in the old days i may
even have sold plasma (but not stolen chickens) to buy it.

Bottle? You spend money on bottles? Haven't you seen the cardboard
boxes of wine?

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old August 19th 04, 03:30 AM
David Reuteler

Frank Krygowski wrote:

David Reuteler wrote:
Bottle? You spend money on bottles? Haven't you seen the cardboard
boxes of wine?

well, hey, ya gotta have some standards. chilean 120 is actually pretty
good. it's a nice spot on the price performance curve.
--
david reuteler

Old August 19th 04, 03:34 AM
Ben Stanley

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:56:17 GMT, "AustinMN"
wrote:

OK, I know the question is coming...I know they've been looking at
engagement rings and such. They're both a bit more traditional, so I know
this guy will be asking my permission.

He's a great guy, and he rides his bike everywhere, frequently even the 15
miles from his house to ours just to see her. He has even accomplished
something I have not: getting my daughter to ride more.

But there's a problem. His department store MTB bike died on him (something
in the suspension broke). I suggested an LBS and suggested he look at a
road bike since 100% of his riding is on the road.

He showed up last week with a brand new Huffy mountain bike.

I'm beginning to doubt whether this is the right guy for her. So when he
asks me, what should I say?

Austin

Put out a hit on the ******. Immediately.
Old August 19th 04, 03:37 AM
Ben Stanley

wrote:

OK, I know the question is coming...I know they've been looking at
engagement rings and such. They're both a bit more traditional, so I know
this guy will be asking my permission.

He's a great guy, and he rides his bike everywhere, frequently even the 15
miles from his house to ours just to see her. He has even accomplished
something I have not: getting my daughter to ride more.

But there's a problem. His department store MTB bike died on him (something
in the suspension broke). I suggested an LBS and suggested he look at a
road bike since 100% of his riding is on the road.

He showed up last week with a brand new Huffy mountain bike.

I'm beginning to doubt whether this is the right guy for her. So when he
asks me, what should I say?

Austin

Put out a hit on the ******. Immediately.

Naw. Too expensive to do it right. For the same price, you could give
them his 'n hers Merlins for the wedding. Things could be worse.
Sounds like he probably won't drink too many of your beer.
Old August 19th 04, 03:37 AM
Fx199

Put out a hit on the ******. Immediately.

"Hyunk" good one

smash him to bits and up like Scott Peterson and be famous...

Geee Ben you made a funny