Should I go clipless?

Old May 26th 05, 04:53 PM
Bill Sornson

Peter Cole wrote:
psycholist wrote:
"Peter Cole" wrote in message

psycholist wrote:

Just so you know ... it's not about pushing down and/or pulling
up. It's about spinning circles (or as close to it as possible).
That's the most efficient way to pedal. Remember the old
locomotive engines that had a large wheel turned by the steam
engine and the large wheel was attached by steel rods that drove
smaller wheels out in front of it. Well, think of your hip as the
large driving wheel. A good, efficient spin comes from the hip.

This seems a logical theory but it isn't supported by science.

It's not a theory. It's an analogy.

I was referring to "pedaling in circles", not locomotives. I didn't
follow the analogy, either.

Except for those intermittent "Chooo, choooo!" whistles, Bob's a fun riding
partner.

HTH, BS

Old May 26th 05, 05:48 PM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 26 May 2005 07:25:54 -0400, ,
Peter Cole wrote:

Those are PowerGrips. I used them for a while. I think they are very
dangerous. I wouldn't recommend them.

How so? What would make them more dangerous than clipless pedals?

The release action is the same twisting motion as clipless pedals. So,
even switching back and forth between PowerGrips and clipless isn't as
potentially dangerous as switching between clips & straps and
clipless.

I got into trouble with PowerGrips while I was using clips & straps on
all the other bikes. I was still trying to twist out when I hit the
ground badly straining my leg. After that I had to switch back to
clips & straps because I couldn't twist my leg for at least a month.
For that, I wouldn't fault the PowerGrips as being dangerous.
--
zk
Old May 26th 05, 06:18 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old May 26th 05, 06:25 PM
Peter Cole

Zoot Katz wrote:
Thu, 26 May 2005 07:25:54 -0400, ,
Peter Cole wrote:

Those are PowerGrips. I used them for a while. I think they are very
dangerous. I wouldn't recommend them.

How so? What would make them more dangerous than clipless pedals?

The release action is the same twisting motion as clipless pedals. So,
even switching back and forth between PowerGrips and clipless isn't as
potentially dangerous as switching between clips & straps and
clipless.

Yes, except twisting heel to the outside tightens Powergrips, unlike
clipless which release either way. I'm very wary of pedals that can trap
your foot in a twisting fall, a friend just had a plate and several
screws installed, his leg will never be the same.
Old May 26th 05, 06:30 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old May 26th 05, 06:32 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old May 26th 05, 07:24 PM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 26 May 2005 13:25:18 -0400, ,
Peter Cole wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

Those are PowerGrips. I used them for a while. I think they are very
dangerous. I wouldn't recommend them.

How so? What would make them more dangerous than clipless pedals?

The release action is the same twisting motion as clipless pedals. So,
even switching back and forth between PowerGrips and clipless isn't as
potentially dangerous as switching between clips & straps and
clipless.

Yes, except twisting heel to the outside tightens Powergrips, unlike
clipless which release either way.

Vice-versa. Outside releases.

Discovering that my clipless pedals released by twisting either way
was a fortuitously timed pleasant surprise. . . Maybe, since my leg
broke while fully disengaged from the pedal.

I'm very wary of pedals that can trap
your foot in a twisting fall, a friend just had a plate and several
screws installed, his leg will never be the same.

I'm already thinking that one of the screws in my leg is going to have
to be removed. Now that I'm putting partial weight on that leg I can
feel the screws and one of them feels wrong.
--
zk
Old May 26th 05, 07:38 PM
bfd

The "rivendell-way" is to use these pedals without any type of
retention. Grant Petersen argues that restraining the foot is
"overblown" and not necessary as it may actually be detrimental as you
don't get to use all of your muscles when say, climbing. He believes
that he is just as fast climbing without retention as with. If you
must be restrainted, he recommends normal toe clips and straps or use
"power grips":

http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/pedal...aps/14046.html

Grant and the rivendell-way is definitely retro. For commuting and
street use, I use the MKS pedals without any restraints. It works well.
However, for longer distances, centuries and any type of long climbs,
give me my clipless pedals (Speedplays!)

Old May 26th 05, 07:55 PM
Peter Cole

Zoot Katz wrote:
Thu, 26 May 2005 13:25:18 -0400, ,
Peter Cole wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote:

Peter Cole wrote:

[...]

I hope you rehab better than my friend. He had significant nerve damage
and is a long way from full strength in that leg after many months of PT.
Old May 26th 05, 08:14 PM
Peter Cole

Booker C. Bense wrote:

In article ,
Zoot Katz wrote:

Thu, 26 May 2005 07:25:54 -0400, ,
Peter Cole wrote:

Those are PowerGrips. I used them for a while. I think they are very
dangerous. I wouldn't recommend them.

How so? What would make them more dangerous than clipless pedals?

_ Peter says that every time they come up. I really don't
understand why either.

I do a lot of off-road riding. I've taken dozens of hard falls in every
conceivable way: over the bars, backwards, high side, front washout,
etc. I've broken ribs twice, had many bad contusions, but I've never
trapped a foot. I'm really conservative about that. I don't like using
any foot attachment method that won't release reliably. With good
products available so cheaply I don't see any reason to take chances,
either. People who ride exclusively on the road probably don't fall
enough to appreciate the dangers. I would never use straps or Powergrips
again for off-road riding, so I can't see the justification for using
them on the road, either.

Which CHEAP clipless pedals? Bill H. General 13 March 13th 05 02:24 AM
Clipless for Ball of Foot Pain smyrna45 General 10 August 4th 04 12:33 AM
clipless horror stories Gary General 30 April 26th 04 02:15 PM
Advice please: newbies and clipless pedals Monique Y. Herman Mountain Biking 43 November 19th 03 10:42 PM
Clipless pedals: lets beat a dead horse... Destroy Mountain Biking 19 August 13th 03 06:35 PM