Another Mountain Biker Killed Practicing another Extreme Sport

Old January 19th 07, 03:53 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Another Mountain Biker Killed Practicing another Extreme Sport

Freeride Entertainment's Carey Bokser perishes in backcountry
By Darren Davidson

The well-known and well-liked Carey Bokser (pictured here with infant
daughter, Noa) is mourned by the bike industry. We extend our
sympathies to Carey's family and to everyone at Freeride
Entertainment.

Family, friends and business associates are mourning the tragic loss
of a man well known in the international cycling and adventure sport
industries, following an accident high above Nelson B.C.ıs Whitewater
Resort, in late February.

Carey Bokser, senior production manager for Freeride Entertainment,
perished after a fall during a ski touring accident. The accident
happened shortly before 11:00 a.m., Saturday, Feb. 25, on a day marked
by mostly blue skies and great backcountry skiing following three days
of snowfall.

According to a Whitewater spokesperson, Carey and another skier were
beginning their descent on an expert out-of-bounds slope known as the
Hummer Face, above the resortıs boundaries. Careyıs ski caught on a
rock. He fell and tumbled down a cliff face. He died at the scene.

"Itıs an extreme area," says Whitewaterıs Anne Pigeon. "Thereıs no
room for error up there."

The fall was witnessed by a number of people, including Whitewater
staff. The second skier, Freerideıs Eric Crosland, was able to descend
safely.

"Two of our patrols were in Ymir Bowl doing a snow study, so they were
on the scene within about 12 minutes," Pigeon says. "They started to
administer first aid and CPR." The two patrols were joined by three
other patrollers shortly after. Nelson Search and Rescue were also
called, along with RCMP and a rescue helicopter.

Pigeon says due to the steep, difficult terrain, rescuers needed to
secure the site for the safety of patrollers whoıd gone up to help. It
took almost three hours to fly Carey from the scene of the crash to an
ambulance waiting at Whitewaterıs base. He was then transported to
Nelsonıs Kootenay Lake Hospital.

"They did everything they could, everything possible," says Pigeon.
"Weıre very, very sad," she adds. "Carey and his family are great
community members and well liked. Our heartfelt condolences go out to
his wife and daughter." "This touches home so closely when itıs
somebody we all know," Pigeon says.

Carey, 33, was a husband and father.

"Carey was the true center of the Freeride universe and will be missed
by all," says Freeride owner and founder Derek Westerlund. "None more
then his beautiful wife, Anne, and his 10 month-old baby girl, Noa."

"This has certainly changed a lot of things at our company and in the
action sports community," Westerlund says. "These are difficult times
and we hope that everybody can stick with us in the coming weeks while
we get on top of things and adjust to life without Carey."

Nelson artist and Freeride associate Scott Dickson, who knew Carey for
14 years, says his close friend was a true character.

"A colourful character," Dickson adds, chuckling. "He brought a lot of
personality to his business dealings, and Iım sure he made a lasting
impression on every guy that talked with him or worked with him."

Originally from Toronto, Carey moved to Nelson from Vancouver in the
summer of 1995. He was a skilled, experienced backcountry skier and
mountain biker, with a renowned penchant for grueling uphills and
hair-raising, no-stop descents.

Carey worked in a number of Nelsonıs outdoor gear shops including
Gericks and The Sacred Ride, before moving to mountain biking
wholesale distributors NRG Enterprises, where he became a fixture in
the Western Canadian adventure-sport retail sector as an NRG sales
rep.

Carey started his new career with Freeride four years ago, where heıd
excelled as production manager and producer on the companyıs numerous
national and international events, films and TV projects.

"A guy whoıs that much of a man will leave a big space behind. But
youıll never forget him because of the guy he was," Dickson says. "He
had a very sweet heart. He loved his wife. And he loved his daughter."

Carey was laid to rest Wednesday, Mar. 1. He was eulogized by long
time friends Mitchell Scott and Mike Seniuk.

For those wanting to make donations in Careyıs name, there are two
places to forward funds: Donations for his daughter Noa Bokser can be
dropped of or mailed to the CIBC, 459 Baker Street, Nelson, B.C,
V1L-4H7. Donations can also be made to the Lionıs Spray Park by
contacting Rick Crozier at 1-250-352-9771.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old January 19th 07, 04:58 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
[...]

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

And the point of this post is....?

Old January 19th 07, 07:26 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
cc

Default Mike again revels in the death of a human

.....that mike is a sick ****.
Old January 19th 07, 04:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:58:58 -0700, "Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus"
wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Ask your mommy to explain it for you.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old January 19th 07, 04:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:26:28 -0800, cc wrote:

Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus wrote:
"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
Freeride Entertainment's Carey Bokser perishes in backcountry
By Darren Davidson

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

And the point of this post is....?

....that mike is a sick ****.

Promoting extreme sports that regularly kill people is what is sick.
DUH!
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old January 19th 07, 04:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Romain

LOL! Mikey you are still the foole eh.

The poor soul should have stayed on his 'mountain bike' where he
obviously has been 'safe' for years instead of skiing eh.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Mike Vandeman wrote:
Freeride Entertainment's Carey Bokser perishes in backcountry
By Darren Davidson

snip old story
Old January 20th 07, 04:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus

wrote:

And the point of this post is....?

Ask your mommy to explain it for you.

She said it is fruitless to argue with a fanatic or a lunatic. You are both.
Probably a bit of a fruitcake too, so I suppose fruitless is not literal.

You practice "extreme stupidity" and are a true ground breaker. We can all
only hope that you end up killing yourself in your extreme pursuit, and then
we can have a year long celebration on usenet!

"Ding, Dong, the twit is gone!!!!" ....

Ok, there's the first line to the official "MV is Dead" song, sung in unison
when you finally get eaten by a bear due to your extreme stupidity. Anyone
care to add to it?

Old January 20th 07, 10:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Andy H

"Mike Vandeman" spewed more sick ranting in message

Mikey, once again you excel in being one sick twisted little man.

Again 0/10 for another dull loathsome unoriginal posting.

Old January 20th 07, 10:52 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
GaryG

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message

Do you get an erection when you post this kind of stuff, Mikey?

And what does your family think about your obsessions? Do they think you're
a "brave environmental warrior"? Or, (as seems much more likely) have they
recommended you seek treatment for mental illness?

GG

Old January 21st 07, 04:13 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:52:06 -0800, "GaryG"
wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
.. .

Do you get an erection when you post this kind of stuff, Mikey?

And what does your family think about your obsessions? Do they think you're
a "brave environmental warrior"? Or, (as seems much more likely) have they
recommended you seek treatment for mental illness?

GG

Hmmm. I wonder who is crazier -- those who practice extremely
destructive activities, or those who oppose them? Isn't it obvious?
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande