Advice on a New Bike

Old January 13th 04, 09:41 AM
Paul_Rawlings

Default Advice on a New Bike

Hi

I need some advice on buying a new bike

I would like a road Racing bike around £400ish. I'm thinking about th
Claude Butler Milano. Does anyone know what it's like? I haven't tes
ridden it yet. If you think I could get a better bike second hand fo
the same money, could you tell me the best websites to look at and wha
recomendations

From the information that i have read so far i think need a standar
frame because i'm 6.2ft

I would like to be able to do long distance riding and would like a bik
that is light and performs well

I'm quite new at this, as you have probably guessed, so i would reall
appreciate as much advice as possible

Thank you very much Regards Pau

-

Old January 13th 04, 04:25 PM

Paul_Rawlings wrote:
Hi,

I need some advice on buying a new bike.

I would like a road Racing bike around £400ish. I'm thinking about the
Claude Butler Milano. Does anyone know what it's like? I haven't test
ridden it yet. If you think I could get a better bike second hand for
the same money, could you tell me the best websites to look at and
what recomendations.

From the information that i have read so far i think need a standard
frame because i'm 6.2ft.

I would like to be able to do long distance riding and would like a
bike that is light and performs well.

I'm quite new at this, as you have probably guessed, so i would really
appreciate as much advice as possible.

Thank you very much Regards Paul

I would like to know the same here, but my budget could be way lower..

Old January 13th 04, 08:49 PM
W K

"Default" wrote in message
Paul_Rawlings wrote:

I would like a road Racing bike around £400ish. I'm thinking about the
Claude Butler Milano. Does anyone know what it's like?

Dunno. Probably fairly OK.
I got a cheapo one, but for a "road race" bike, I'd now probably go for
something a bit more - over 500 for things like a GIANT OCR, or ribble's
cheapest thing.

If you think I could get a better bike second hand for
the same money, could you tell me the best websites to look at and
what recomendations.

You probably could, but I never did manage, and didn't have the confidence
to get a better one.
I ended up with something I wouldn't recommend, but its OK for me.

I would like to be able to do long distance riding and would like a
bike that is light and performs well.

New year's resolution : always mention a dawes horizon.
At about 400 quid, a tourer that will be a tiny bit slower, but better for
going long distances.
Do you actually want to race?

I would like to know the same here, but my budget could be way lower..

Second hand!

Old January 15th 04, 12:05 AM
Paul_Rawlings

Yes I think i would like to Race

Old January 15th 04, 11:12 AM
Dave Kahn

Paul_Rawlings wrote in message ...
Yes I think i would like to Race

Then you'll probably want to increase your budget by at least 50%,
possibly more for an entry level racing bike.

--
Dave...
Old January 17th 04, 04:45 PM
Vince

"W K" wrote
"Default" wrote
Paul_Rawlings wrote:

New year's resolution : always mention a dawes horizon.

I've had my Horizon for 15? years now and despite the haphazard
maintenance I give it, it's still going strong.

Now I'm thing of going offf-road on a Dawes Edge Team. Can't find
much mention of it on-line (apart from sellers). Does anyone here
have any experience of it?

Vince.
Old January 17th 04, 07:34 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:41:11 GMT, Paul_Rawlings
wrote:

From the information that i have read so far i think need a standard
frame because i'm 6.2ft.

Check http://www.wrenchscience.com and look at their road bike sizer.
Better still, since you're paying Actual Money (TM), go to a bike shop
which has a fit analysis machine and get them to do the job properly
for you. Mine (AW Cycles, Caversham, Reading, shameless plug, I am
not affiliated etc.) give you the money back if you buy a bike from
them.

I like the look of the Claud Butler as well, attractively specced for
the price. My tourer is an old CB and my mountain bike is a newish
one. But if it doesn't fit it could be free and still a bad deal.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Duct Tape reduces vibration! Wayne Pein Techniques 22 April 29th 04 11:35 PM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
2nd-hand track bike - advice needed hippy Australia 66 September 16th 03 04:05 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Need advice about a used bike! Adam Mountain Biking 1 August 14th 03 12:12 AM