The Canadian Goose Winter Plan

Old November 14th 04, 11:40 PM
Bill Baka

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:38:02 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:41:55 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message

Speak for yourself. Locally, Canada Geese inhabit several urban and
suburban parks (basically, every park with a lake or pond) in amazing
numbers,

We also have a terrible Canada goose problem. They poop so much that
swimmng
beaches have to be closed down during the summer time. Offiicials tried
relocate them to the other side of the state, but that meant that more
just
bred here, and eastern Washington says they don't want any more.

Because of the migratory bird act, they can't be shot -- even though
they
don't migrate any more, they just stay right where they are. Egg addling
appears to the be only legal control. They have no predators,
especially in
the suburban parks.

I know they are more of a problem in Vancouver and out west. Around
here, though, they only stop over on their way up north in the spring,
or they tend to be out in the more rural areas. Hunting geese is
allowed here, but you can't shoot game birds in national parks, only
in designated hunting areas. Such as "Goose breaks" in the
arctic/native communities. But around where we ride, canada geese are
not that much of an obstacle.

Once I a saw a snow goose in the park. It was in the spring and it
must have been on its way up north. Af first i thought it was a duck,
but then I realized it was a white goose; they are a lot smaller than
canada geese. I never saw it after that, I guess it flew north.

Totally not a bike post coming, but I lived in Illinois and had a lake
at the bottom of my backyard, literally, as in planned neighborhood.
I used to take my boat out and row it across/around the lake after
work for a workout. I was in the middle of the lake one day and
heard a slight sound getting louder. When I looked there were
literally over 500 geese coming in for a lake landing right over my
head. First it was like "Wow, look at all those geese.", then it was
"O my God, please don't take any nature breaks on me.". I lucked out
and rowed over that way but when I got within 50 feet they all took
off. 2 or 3 tons of bird all at the same time leaves an impression.
I have never seen that many in one place again.
Bill Baka

--
Just Bill again
Old November 15th 04, 12:06 AM
Bill Baka

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:47:10 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

In article ,
HANDSOME PRINCE writes:
Maggie wrote:
I tried to get to into a hotel in Mahwah N.J. and I had to walk by a
gaggle of geese or a google of geese or whatever the heck it is. They
are nasty birds. Someone should teach them to behave themselves. ;-)

I hear they make fine eating!!!

They're not as big as they look, though. Pheasant is tastier,
and the feathers are useful for fly-tying.

Mmmm ... roast pheasant and blackberry-sherry sauce drool
I'm almost inclined to go out and poach me a couple.

cheers,
Tom

I'll second that remark on Pheasant. I ran one down with my van
about ten years ago and stopped to see if it was hurt. It managed
to fly over a small stream and then died from a broken neck.
It made a very nice dinner. Birds that don't fly much are tender.
I eat my road kill.

--
Just Bill again
Old November 15th 04, 06:48 AM
David Reuteler

Bill Baka wrote:
I eat my road kill.

good lord bill. care to quantify that remark?
--
david reuteler

Old November 15th 04, 06:45 PM
Bill Baka

On 15 Nov 2004 06:48:32 GMT, David Reuteler wrote:

Bill Baka wrote:
I eat my road kill.

good lord bill. care to quantify that remark?

Seriously, I did hit a pheasant but only broke its neck.
When I stopped to see, it was dead but not smooshed. It was
a fishing trip and I was only about 2 miles from home
so instead of fish I had pheasant.
Tasty bird, better than chicken.
It really did happen, once, so I get to troll with that remark
with a straight face.

--
Just Bill again