Craigslist good/bad

Old March 19th 10, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Craigslist good/bad

just got back from a Craigslist pickup (no, not that kind) - got a Park
TS-2 truing stand for what I thought was an excellent price. Seller was
a nice guy, and apparently had been a mechanic in the past. I just
asked if he had anything else bike-related for sale, he said "well, I
did, someone just bought all my old tools for (price that made me cry a
little on the inside)"

I can't remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure it was someone in this
august group who accused me of being a "known fixer of broken things"
which I can't really argue with other than to say that if I can fix
them, they weren't *really* broken, now, were they? But anyway, to
someone like me, tools are kind of like crack or bourbon are to others,
so that was somewhat disappointing...

I'm just gonna go with the "my glass is half full" thing and be happy
that I got a decent truing stand

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 19th 10, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Mar 18, 5:15*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Hell, wait a month. The bike specific tools will be different by then,
and you'll feel better about your non-purchase. But if you really
need to buy something, I would be more than happy to sell you my
Shimano 600 EX star-shaped headset wrenches -- or how about a
freewheel vice? Hmmm, I bet my Campagnolo NR pedal-cap wrench would
make for a nice key fob, and all those bottom bracket wreches could be
used for wind-chimes. Most of my tools are dust collectors now,
particularly the nifty collection of 1970s crank pullers. But you
know what, the week after I sold my TA crank puller, I inherited a
bike with a TA crank. It's freakish that way -- the second you get
rid of something, you need it. -- Jay Beattie.
Old March 19th 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 03/18/2010 08:47 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Mar 18, 5:15 pm, Nate wrote:
[...]

Hah. I love old stuff. I'm the kind of guy that would probably buy a
TA-specific tool if it were cheap enough just in case I came across a TA
crankset. Guess you didn't see the pics of my last two car projects,
I've got a drawer full of Studebaker-specific tools as well (including
the puller for the tapered-axle rear hubs, and a nifty tool to press on
the harmonic balancer) and I still have all the tools to set the valve
clearances on a solid-lifter WCVW head, just in case I come across
another 8V VW made before 1985.

Hey, it's cheaper than crack. I still haven't found a two-post lift on
Craigslist yet though

My main problem now is I have been finding cheap tools more often than
I've been finding cheap roll cabinets :/

nate

Old March 19th 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter S.

On 19 Mar., 01:47, Jay Beattie wrote:

Hell, wait a month. The bike specific tools will be different by then,
and you'll feel better about your non-purchase. But if you really
need to buy something, I would be more than happy to sell you my
Shimano 600 EX star-shaped headset wrenches -- or how about a
freewheel vice? Hmmm, I bet my Campagnolo NR pedal-cap wrench would
make for a nice key fob

I think your old Campagnolo NR pedal dust cap tool works with new MKS
pedals;
http://www.velo-orange.com/mksroadpedals.html

Here is the MKS version of the tool:
http://www.velo-orange.com/mkspeducapwr.html

--
Regards
Old March 19th 10, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Peter S. wrote:
I think your old Campagnolo NR pedal dust cap tool works with new MKS
pedals;
http://www.velo-orange.com/mksroadpedals.html
Here is the MKS version of the tool:
http://www.velo-orange.com/mkspeducapwr.html

Similar but doesn't fit.

KKT, Zeus and Lyotard #65 are also similar but not quite the
same. The MKS wrench is current, cheap and available if you
need one.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 19th 10, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
Jay Beattie wrote:

[...]

My experience as well.

--
Faith is believing what you know ain't so.
-Mark Twain
Old March 19th 10, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Jay Beattie wrote:

[...]

My peanut butter wrench became useless when I stopped eating PB.
Old March 19th 10, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter S.

On 19 Mar., 05:13, AMuzi wrote:
On 19 Mar., 03:09, AMuzi wrote:

Define "fit' any way you prefer. A water pump pliers fits
for some guys, I suppose.

A Campagnolo wrench is loose on an MKS pedal.

An MKS wrench won't fit over a 1037 cap. (well, I didn't try
with a big hammer; 'styles' of 'fit' may vary)

Just checked with two new pedals and two new wrenches, BTW.

Cool. Thanks for actually testing it again (I believed you the first
time though). I am guessing that peoples claims of MKS /Campagnolo NR
tool compatibility isn't based on actually testing it, but perhaps
only on visual likeness, or on some original wrong claim that just
gets repeated and copied by everyone else again and again.

--
Regards
Old March 19th 10, 01:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 19, 1:09*am, "Peter S." wrote:
On 19 Mar., 05:13, AMuzi wrote:

On 19 Mar., 03:09, AMuzi wrote:

Define "fit' any way you prefer. A water pump pliers fits
for some guys, I suppose.

A Campagnolo wrench is loose on an MKS pedal.

An MKS wrench won't fit over a 1037 cap. (well, I didn't try
with a big hammer; 'styles' of 'fit' may vary)

Just checked with two new pedals and two new wrenches, BTW.

Cool. Thanks for actually testing it again (I believed you the first
time though). I am guessing that peoples claims of MKS /Campagnolo NR
tool compatibility isn't based on actually testing it, but perhaps
only on visual likeness, or on some original wrong claim that just
gets repeated and copied by everyone else again and again.

Channelocks and a square of chamois remove Italian and Japanese caps
alike without marring. Doesn't look as fly hanging on your wall,
though.
Old March 19th 10, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Do you have a Stronglight crank puller for sale?

On Mar 19, 12:47*am, Jay Beattie wrote:

But you
know what, the week after I sold my TA crank puller, I inherited a
bike with a TA crank. *It's freakish that way -- the second you get
rid of something, you need it. -- Jay Beattie.

You wouldn't happen to have a 23.35mm Stronglight crank puller of the
same vintage to sell me, would you?

I'm tempted to one of the 49D Stronglight cranksets one can get in
good condition this side of the water if you're patient, held back
only by the impossibility of getting it off the taper again once it is
on.

Andre Jute
Aesthete