Campy 10v Headset Baseplate (Crown Race) Question - Mr. Muzi?

Old March 19th 10, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

Default Campy 10v Headset Baseplate (Crown Race) Question - Mr. Muzi?

The JB Weld holding the alloy dropout in my twice-crashed Alpha Q Pro
fork has let go. Since I do have a replacement, I figured I would
replace the fork.

However, when looking into it, a coupla shops that I contacted wanted
around $80 for a Campy crown race. WHAT?! I can get a whole Chorus
headset for that. Can I recover the crown race from the damaged fork
and re-use it? I guess I could get at it destructively (i.e., chop up
the fork) without damaging the race. I really don't see any further
use for the fork - maybe as a front wheel truing stand?

Otherwise, are there cheaper races that would serve as well as the
Campy? Other solutions?

TIA

Peter
Old March 19th 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
"D'ohBoy" wrote:

The JB Weld holding the alloy dropout in my twice-crashed Alpha Q Pro
fork has let go. Since I do have a replacement, I figured I would
replace the fork.

However, when looking into it, a coupla shops that I contacted wanted
around $80 for a Campy crown race. WHAT?! I can get a whole Chorus
headset for that. Can I recover the crown race from the damaged fork
and re-use it? I guess I could get at it destructively (i.e., chop up
the fork) without damaging the race. I really don't see any further
use for the fork - maybe as a front wheel truing stand?

Otherwise, are there cheaper races that would serve as well as the
Campy? Other solutions?

Crown races are a jam fit. The are easily removed with
the proper tool, and less easily removed with a mallet
and old wood chisel. Look on Sheldon's site. Be sure the
inner diameter of the old crown race is correct for the
new fork.
Old March 19th 10, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

D'ohBoy wrote:
The JB Weld holding the alloy dropout in my twice-crashed Alpha Q Pro
fork has let go. Since I do have a replacement, I figured I would
replace the fork.

However, when looking into it, a coupla shops that I contacted wanted
around $80 for a Campy crown race. WHAT?! I can get a whole Chorus
headset for that. Can I recover the crown race from the damaged fork
and re-use it? I guess I could get at it destructively (i.e., chop up
the fork) without damaging the race. I really don't see any further
use for the fork - maybe as a front wheel truing stand?

Otherwise, are there cheaper races that would serve as well as the
Campy? Other solutions?

Any modern crown race puller. We like the Hozan:

http://www.hozan.co.jp/cycle_e/catalog/fork/C-440.htm

For a not-modern system, you could use a not-modern tool
such as a hammer. In this case, don't.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 19th 10, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Michael Press wrote:
Crown races are a jam fit. The are easily removed with
the proper tool, and less easily removed with a mallet
and old wood chisel. Look on Sheldon's site. Be sure the
inner diameter of the old crown race is correct for the
new fork.

Right so far as it goes, but don't smack a current Record
lower race. It's a thin steel bearing surface in an aluminum
carrier and will dent, spoiling the nice seal against the
lower cup. With a classic hefty forged steel Record 1039,
smack away; you can't hurt those.

Old March 20th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 19 Mar, 13:24, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
The JB Weld holding the alloy dropout in my twice-crashed Alpha Q Pro
fork has let go. *Since I do have a replacement, I figured I would
replace the fork.

However, when looking into it, a coupla shops that I contacted wanted
around $80 for a Campy crown race. *WHAT?! *I can get a whole Chorus
headset for that. *Can I recover the crown race from the damaged fork
and re-use it? *I guess I could get at it destructively (i.e., chop up
the fork) without damaging the race. *I really don't see any further
use for the fork - maybe as a front wheel truing stand?

Otherwise, are there cheaper races that would serve as well as the
Campy? *Other solutions?

TIA

Peter

pry it off starting with a thin knife blade and wedging that between
race and crown. Progress up thicknessess of knife blade until the
race eases then lever it off. This is only applying pressure between
the seated surfaces and does no damage at all, even on aluminium. Of
course, you could hold the forks upside down and put a torch to the
crown for an even easier method. I saw this done on a steel crown
race which had got cock-eyed in installation (not me), it should be
quicker with aluminium.
Old March 22nd 10, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Mar 19, 6:24*am, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
The JB Weld holding the alloy dropout in my twice-crashed Alpha Q Pro
fork has let go. *Since I do have a replacement, I figured I would
replace the fork.

However, when looking into it, a coupla shops that I contacted wanted
around $80 for a Campy crown race. *WHAT?! *I can get a whole Chorus
headset for that. *Can I recover the crown race from the damaged fork
and re-use it? *I guess I could get at it destructively (i.e., chop up
the fork) without damaging the race. *I really don't see any further
use for the fork - maybe as a front wheel truing stand?

Otherwise, are there cheaper races that would serve as well as the
Campy? *Other solutions?

TIA

Peter

I use one of these:
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...oductId=124653

$20, not as fancy as the Park ones, that add a press that pushes down
against the steerer to finish the job, but once you get this guy
seated under the race, just set the tool (and fork) loosely on top of
the jaws of a wide-open bench vise, and couple of taps from a rubber
mallet will do.
Old March 22nd 10, 12:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

On Mar 22, 1:11 am, Hank wrote:
On Mar 19, 6:24 am, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

[...]

Here's what I did:

Put the crapass blade that came with my 3 hp cabinet saw on and cut
the fork crown just below the crown race. Placed the steerer with the
race down with just the race bearing on the open jaws of my vise. One
sharp rap with a 5 lb cross pein and Bob's yer uncle.

KInda what Hank suggested, but without having to buy another tool.
Don't work with forks enough to make dedicated tool purchases
worthwhile.

Thanks to all!

Peter

Old March 23rd 10, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

On Mar 22, 6:19*am, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
On Mar 22, 1:11 am, Hank wrote:

On Mar 19, 6:24 am, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

[...]

Here's some pics of the project, but kinda minimalist in terms of the
detail.

http://picasaweb.google.com/10487775...sNewFrontFeet#

Peter