China Bicycling

Old June 25th 12, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Default China Bicycling

Just got back from 13 days in China. A lot of changes since the last
time I was in Beijing and Shanghai. Bicycles are banned from many roads
in Shanghai, and there was significantly less cycling. Much of this is
due to the vast expansion of the subway system from the last time I was
there. Traffic was not nearly as bad as in the past due to far fewer
buses, even though there are more private cars. Since parking is so
scarce, most people with cars don't drive them to work.

Bicycling is still pretty popular in Beijing, though less than in the
past, also primarily due to the greatly expanded subway since the 2008
Olympics. A great many electric bicycles and electric scooters but still
plenty of regular bicycles. Beijing has a better system of separate bike
lanes than Shanghai, with most major roads having bike lanes. Traffic
wasn't as bad as in the past since so much people-moving has moved
underground.

Bicyclists are fair game for scooters which are fair game for cars which
are fair game for buses and trucks. Pedestrians are of course at the
bottom of the food chain. Motorized vehicles stop at red lights (except
if turning right in which case they barely slow down). Scooters and
bicycles don't stop at red lights at all, they weave through cross traffic.

Lots of folding bicycles, still lots of older black single-speed Phoenix
bicycles.

The only cycling we did was around the City Walls of Xi'an. We wanted to
bicycle in Yangshuo but it was so hot and humid that we passed on it.
Some good hiking on a less touristy, more remote, part of the Great
Wall. So glad we didn't go on an organized tour where they bus you from
one tourist trap to the next.

trip report: Bicycling through China with Tour D'Afrique [email protected] Rides 3 November 29th 07 04:01 AM
A new unicycle in China muzzle Unicycling 4 September 16th 06 11:45 AM
Bikes of China dtmeister Australia 3 April 12th 06 08:18 AM
China Andy Gee General 6 January 10th 06 02:48 PM
From Italy to china Cavolo! Mountain Biking 0 April 26th 05 01:20 PM