MTB converted to Drop Bar Tourer

Old September 5th 15, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default MTB converted to Drop Bar Tourer

Got the MTB used for $40.00, had a Soecialized stem for threadless, had drop bars and also had bar end shifters and aero brake levers. Cost me $12.00 for a adapter to take the threadless stem instead of a quill. here's what it looks like now ready to tour fire/logging/mining roads.

Stainless steel Thermos keeps water cold for ther entire day no matter how hot the air is. i transfer water from the Thermos to the handlebr mounted bottle as needed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...posted-public/

Cheers

Old September 5th 15, 11:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Fri, 4 Sep 2015 16:59:38 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Got the MTB used for $40.00, had a Soecialized stem for threadless, had drop bars and also had bar end shifters and aero brake levers. Cost me $12.00 for a adapter to take the threadless stem instead of a quill. here's what it looks like now ready to tour fire/logging/mining roads.

Stainless steel Thermos keeps water cold for ther entire day no matter how hot the air is. i transfer water from the Thermos to the handlebr mounted bottle as needed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...posted-public/

Cheers

What is the capacity of the thermos bottles?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 5th 15, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

Got the MTB used for $40.00, had a Soecialized stem for threadless, had drop bars and also had bar end shifters and aero brake levers. Cost me $12.00 for a adapter to take the threadless stem instead of a quill. here's what it looks like now ready to tour fire/logging/mining roads.

Stainless steel Thermos keeps water cold for ther entire day no matter how hot the air is. i transfer water from the Thermos to the handlebr mounted bottle as needed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...posted-public/

Cheers

What is the capacity of the thermos bottles?
--
cheers,

John B.

About 725ml each. I can fill 2 Thermos bottles from a 1.5 lier bottle of water and tthere's a swallow of water left. You can get 1 liter ones but then you need biger cages too. I find the ones I have to be ideal as they ft the Profile cages, aren't unwieldy when riding (on quiet country roads I often fill the plastic bottle on the handlebar on the go) and unlike many stainless water bottles these keep the water very cold for a very long time.

I have 4 of them. On long rides 2 of them live in the saddlebag or trunk bag.

Cheers
Old September 5th 15, 01:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

Don't they attle in the cages? A friend has also a metal bottle. The
bottle rattles like hell when riding over a bumpy road.
--

Lou

Old September 5th 15, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

No rattling at all. Those Profile cages aren't metal and they grip the bottle of the Thermos very snggly.
that's why I go out of my way if I have to in order to buy one of those Profile bottle cages.

Cheers
Old September 5th 15, 02:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

That is remarkable considering the total weight.
--

Lou

Old September 5th 15, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

TIRES ? tubers ? rims ?

where are these woodsy jaunts ?

Old September 6th 15, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

wrote:

[...]

I had been using two bottles. One I kept in the fridge over night and
the second in the freezer. Which works pretty well, giving cool drinks
through, say a 2 - 2.5 hour ride, but if longer you ended up drinking
blood temperature liquids which I do not find as thirst quenching as
colder drinks (which may be simply my imagination).

I had tried a smaller thermos that seemed to be about as big as a
normal "bicycle bottle", and fitted the bottle cage pretty well, but
held less, which was a bit frustrating. I'll get one of the larger
thermos' and try that. although I may have to modify the cage
slightly.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 6th 15, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

chilled lime Perrier...

but about the tires ?

adding gearing to converted singlespeed? Dan in Dover Techniques 11 November 20th 06 03:48 PM
converted two more unisteez Unicycling 5 October 5th 06 04:26 PM
Younger son may have been converted... vernon UK 3 September 19th 05 09:42 AM
FS: Stan's UST converted wheels Dawgwalker Marketplace 0 June 9th 05 09:33 PM
Rails to Trails converted to Dump mary Rides 6 October 31st 04 12:53 AM