Disc Compatible Hubs

Old July 25th 04, 08:12 PM
Burning_Ranger

Default Disc Compatible Hubs

I've ordered a bike without disc brakes (forks are disc compatible), gonna
come tomorrow. What I want to know is it possible to use disc brakes by
simply replacing out the old hub with a disc hub? I realise the wheels will
have to be re-built, will a LBS do this for me and how much is it likely to
cost?

Ta very much.

--

Burning_Ranger

To email:

Old July 26th 04, 01:12 AM
Doki

Burning_Ranger wrote:
I've ordered a bike without disc brakes (forks are disc compatible),
gonna come tomorrow. What I want to know is it possible to use disc
brakes by simply replacing out the old hub with a disc hub? I realise
the wheels will have to be re-built, will a LBS do this for me and
how much is it likely to cost?

Do you *need* disc brakes? My understanding is that because the front wheel
needs to be dished for the disc to fit, it's not as strong.

Old July 26th 04, 06:50 AM
Peter B

"Burning_Ranger" wrote in message

Perhaps I wasn't clear; What I'm asking is can you re-use the old spokes

and
rims with the newly bought disc hub?

You can use the old rims, obviously make sure the spoke count is the same
(usually 32 for XC 36 for DH or heavier folks).
It's unlikely you'll be able to use all the spokes, if any, as the spoke
flanges of disc hub can be of different diameters on each side so at best
only half will fit.
As Jon Senior has said one way to save money is to re-build the wheels
yourself, not that difficult just requiring time and patience.

http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fus...ews.bike&id=31

www.hopetech.com

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_truing.shtml

Regards,
Pete

Old July 26th 04, 08:17 AM
Tony Raven

Jon Senior wrote:

Simple test. Ride bike on whatever surface you'll normally be cycling.
Wear a stack of protective clothing (Dress like the Michelin Man).
Attempt to lock wheels. If you can, then you have little need for
stronger brakes. The only other reason I can think of is for
circumstances where there will be prolonged braking which might put the
tyre at risk of overheating (Alpine descent?).

The reason for disc brakes is not stopping power - any decent brake will
lock the wheels especially on loose surfaces. Its the control of that
power - the so called modulation - which is a lot lot better on good
discs than any rim brake plus the relative immunity from mud and wet.

Tony

Old July 26th 04, 11:35 AM
Simon Brooke

in message ,
Burning_Ranger ') wrote:

I've ordered a bike without disc brakes (forks are disc compatible),
gonna come tomorrow. What I want to know is it possible to use disc
brakes by simply replacing out the old hub with a disc hub?

Yes.

I realise
the wheels will have to be re-built, will a LBS do this for me and how
much is it likely to cost?

With a bit of patience and care you can easily rebuild your wheels
yourself. The only tool you need is a spoke key. Instructions he
URL:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

A wheel takes around about an hour to build for someone who knows what
they are doing, so expect to pay whatever your LBS charges for an
hour's workshop time. Up to £30 per wheel is reasonable. Of course, if
your new hubs have a different diameter to your old ones you will need
new spokes as well. There's a spoke length calculator he
URL:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm (get the full
version, not the 'express' one).

;; MS Windows: A thirty-two bit extension ... to a sixteen bit
;; patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a
;; four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that
;; can't stand one bit of competition -- anonymous

Old July 26th 04, 11:35 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Tony Raven
') wrote:

Jon Senior wrote:

Simple test. Ride bike on whatever surface you'll normally be
cycling. Wear a stack of protective clothing (Dress like the Michelin
Man). Attempt to lock wheels. If you can, then you have little need
for stronger brakes. The only other reason I can think of is for
circumstances where there will be prolonged braking which might put
the tyre at risk of overheating (Alpine descent?).

The reason for disc brakes is not stopping power - any decent brake
will
lock the wheels especially on loose surfaces. Its the control of that
power - the so called modulation - which is a lot lot better on good
discs than any rim brake plus the relative immunity from mud and wet.

I think this is also a matter of hydraulic versus cable. Cable operated
brakes suffer from more hysteresis and drag in the system, which
hampers modulation. So in my opinion and experience it is hydraulic
brakes (irrespective of rim or disk) which offer better modulation, and
disk brakes (irrespective of cable or hydraulic) which offer relative
immunity to mud and wet. Obviously, with hydraulic disk brakes you get
better modulation _and_ better wet weather performance, but at a cost
in weight and relative lateral weakness of the wheel (and also, of
course, loadsamoney).

to err is human, to lisp divine
;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

Old July 26th 04, 11:39 AM
Burning_Ranger

Simon Brooke wrote:

Ta everyone.