How to Park a Folding Bike?

Old August 31st 04, 03:45 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:34:36 -0500, Jeff Williams
wrote:

When I was looking for a commuter bike, I considered a folding bike but,
as noted, they're darn hard to lock up. Perhaps, if a designer is
reading this group, said designer might consider adding a proper means
of locking the silly things. I imagine an extra bit of tubing welded
onto the frame (one on each half), forming a hole through which a lock
could be threaded.

A Brompton has this. See below the name on the pic at:

http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/

there is an enclosed triangle through which to thread a lock.

Colin
Old August 31st 04, 03:53 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

Fold Brompton into 'park' mode.

'D' lock to fixture.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old August 31st 04, 03:53 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

Old August 31st 04, 04:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Jeff Williams
') wrote:

When I was looking for a commuter bike, I considered a folding bike
but,
as noted, they're darn hard to lock up. Perhaps, if a designer is
reading this group, said designer might consider adding a proper means
of locking the silly things. I imagine an extra bit of tubing welded
onto the frame (one on each half), forming a hole through which a lock
could be threaded.

There's a recent designer boutique folder where the lock is integral
with the handlebar. This has two advantages: when the handlebar is
removed to be used as a lock, you can't steer the bike even if you
manage to unlock it; and you don't need to carry a clumsy extra bit of
kit with you. Can't remember the make just now but it was in a recent
Velovision.

;; Woz: 'All the best people in life seem to like LINUX.'
;; URL:http://www.woz.org/woz/cresponses/response03.html

Old August 31st 04, 04:44 PM
Tony Raven

Jeff Williams wrote:

When I was looking for a commuter bike, I considered a folding bike but,
as noted, they're darn hard to lock up. Perhaps, if a designer is
reading this group, said designer might consider adding a proper means
of locking the silly things. I imagine an extra bit of tubing welded
onto the frame (one on each half), forming a hole through which a lock
could be threaded.

You need a pair of Masterlock Street Cuffs - used to be available in
B&Q. V. strong pair of handcuffs for bikes that close down round the
top tube and round the nearest immovable object. No need for a hole to
thread them through on the frame. The only big problem with them is the
number of people who ask about them and are drawn to pick them up and
fondle them - all very Freudian.

Tony

Old August 31st 04, 05:08 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Tony Raven wrote:

You need a pair of Masterlock Street Cuffs - used to be available in
B&Q. V. strong pair of handcuffs for bikes that close down round the
top tube and round the nearest immovable object. No need for a hole to
thread them through on the frame. The only big problem with them is the
number of people who ask about them and are drawn to pick them up and
fondle them - all very Freudian.

There's a creative solution! Though I suspect my image could undergo quite a
change with a number of people if they found me out with a stout pair of
handcuffs!

EFR
Ile de France

Old August 31st 04, 05:37 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:22:11 +0100, "Colin Blackburn"
wrote:

Far from it. It just means taking advantage of the folding nature of the
bike and taking it indoors with you, where, on the whole, it is safer than
chained up outside. However, there is nothing to stop you carrying a lock
and locking the bike up.

Both my Bike Friday and my wife's Breezer foldables are more locakable
than a standard bike when folded. About the only thing that is really
exposed is the handlebar from the Bike Friday and maybe the seatpost
from the Breezer. Both can be made too difficult to get out to make it
worthwhile.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...