How to Park a Folding Bike?

Old August 31st 04, 05:37 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:22:11 +0100, "Colin Blackburn"
wrote:

Far from it. It just means taking advantage of the folding nature of the
bike and taking it indoors with you, where, on the whole, it is safer than
chained up outside. However, there is nothing to stop you carrying a lock
and locking the bike up.

Both my Bike Friday and my wife's Breezer foldables are more locakable
than a standard bike when folded. About the only thing that is really
exposed is the handlebar from the Bike Friday and maybe the seatpost
from the Breezer. Both can be made too difficult to get out to make it
worthwhile.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old August 31st 04, 07:41 PM
Tony Raven

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

I've been considering the acquisition of a folding bike (Dahon Speed TR
in my case).

Folding bikes can be very expensive indeed. Moreover, by their very
nature, they are cute, compact and stealable. So my question is, if you
have a folding bike and need to park it for a mo, say to go into a shop
or office, or to stop in a restaurant for lunch, what do you do?

Depends on the folding bike. The Brompton I fold and take everywhere
with me. There's nowhere yet that has raised an eyebrow to me carrying
my bike inside with me and lots of curiosity and questions. For the
supermarket, just bung it in or under the trolley basket. Hotels and
stuff I either leave it with the concierge or take it to my room. Had
plenty of restaurant meals where the staff have tucked it away for me.

OTOH I would not even attempt any of that with the Bike Friday - its too
big and ungainly folded but then I bought it mainly to be able to chuck
in the car or on a plane to take with me and provide a good bike at the
destination. I generally lock that up outside with a set of Master Lock
Street Cuffs but like any reasonable value bike I tend not to leave it
long. Again in hotels I leave it with the concierge or take it to my room.

Tony

Old August 31st 04, 08:04 PM
JohnB

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Fold Brompton into 'park' mode.

'D' lock to fixture.

If you've forgotten the lock just loosen the hinge - any would be thief
will be deposited in a heap on the road.
Just remember to do it up before you use it tho'. It hurts if you don't
- believe me :-(

John B

Old August 31st 04, 10:09 PM
Nick Kew

In article ,
Tony Raven writes:

Depends on the folding bike. The Brompton I fold and take everywhere
with me. There's nowhere yet that has raised an eyebrow to me carrying
my bike inside with me and lots of curiosity and questions. For the
supermarket, just bung it in or under the trolley basket. Hotels and
stuff I either leave it with the concierge or take it to my room. Had
plenty of restaurant meals where the staff have tucked it away for me.

I've taken a full-size bike into many hotels in my time. In fact I
can't recollect any hotel that's not been happy to accommmodate it.

But I was p***ed off yesterday at being refused passage on the ferry
from Cawsand to Plymouth. Has to ride back to the Cremyll ferry
(which was packed) instead. They charge a fare for it, but at least
they take it.

--
Nick Kew

Old August 31st 04, 11:10 PM
RJ Webb

When I was looking for a commuter bike, I considered a folding bike but,
as noted, they're darn hard to lock up. Perhaps, if a designer is
reading this group, said designer might consider adding a proper means
of locking the silly things. I imagine an extra bit of tubing welded
onto the frame (one on each half), forming a hole through which a lock
could be threaded.

Jeff

I have just bought a Brompton. Currently locking it through a small
triangle of frame at the back of the "long girder" Hope this is not
too much of a weak point.

Security is a bit of a worry with any bike, but these cuties really do
look like a thief magnet.

Richard Webb
Old September 2nd 04, 11:34 PM
congokid

In message , Elisa Francesca Roselli
writes

if you
have a folding bike and need to park it for a mo, say to go into a shop
or office, or to stop in a restaurant for lunch, what do you do?

However light and nifty they may appear in relation to normal bikes;
they're still way too clunky to lug around Sainsbury's. And some, like
Brommies, do have an urban vocation.

I leave my Brompton outside the coffee shop every morning, next to the
front door, with the back wheel folded under. That early there's not too
many people around, but I always make sure I can see it from inside.

If I stop at Tesco Express or M&S food store on the way home, I fold it
and take it in - it's relatively easy to wheel around and hold a basket
at the same time. I've wheeled it round Lilywhites in Piccadilly Circus.
I've taken it inside a shoeshop on Brewer Street while I bought new
trainers, and also several shops on Tottenham Court Road.

I've even taken it inside the All Bar One on Butler's Wharf, and then
Butler's Wharf Chop House - stowed folded behind or beside my chair
while I have a drink or a meal. Also done this at the George on Borough
High Street, and it's been in the changing room at my local swimming
pool (this is the only occasion that I've used a lock with it).

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google