polarized sunglasses

Old November 10th 04, 04:21 PM

Terry Morse writes:

My eyes have adjusted to this planet and hence I have no need for
sunglasses, ever.

You have adapted some new form of UV blocking eyeballs? Cool.
Lamark would be pleased to know that.

From that comment, I assume you don't leave the shelter of your home
without dark glasses. I haven't noticed all people I meet on the
street in Palo Alto wearing sun glasses, Polaroid or otherwise. Do
you find such exposure hazardous and what do optometrists advise on
being out doors without eye protection?

Jobst Brandt

Old November 10th 04, 06:15 PM
Terry Morse

Jobst Brandt wrote:

Terry Morse writes:

You have adapted some new form of UV blocking eyeballs? Cool.
Lamark would be pleased to know that.

From that comment, I assume you don't leave the shelter of your
home without dark glasses.

You assume incorrectly, as you often do.

I haven't noticed all people I meet on the street in Palo Alto
wearing sun glasses, Polaroid or otherwise.

Nor have I.

Do you find such exposure hazardous and what do optometrists
advise on being out doors without eye protection?

Prolonged exposure to UV-B radiation has been linked to cataracts.
Besides, sunburned eyeballs and eyelids hurt. I also find all day
rides on sunny days tiring without sunglasses.
Old November 10th 04, 07:50 PM
Bill Baka

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:21:25 GMT, wrote:

Terry Morse writes:

My eyes have adjusted to this planet and hence I have no need for
sunglasses, ever.

You have adapted some new form of UV blocking eyeballs? Cool.
Lamark would be pleased to know that.

From that comment, I assume you don't leave the shelter of your home
without dark glasses. I haven't noticed all people I meet on the
street in Palo Alto wearing sun glasses, Polaroid or otherwise. Do
you find such exposure hazardous and what do optometrists advise on
being out doors without eye protection?

Jobst Brandt

Exposure can be bad for you later in life. My father was a die hard
ex-army seargant and thought sunglasses were a waste of time.
Result: He got cataracts in both eyes.
I would tend to think that UV is a cause, or at least contributor.
Look at some old dogs (4 legs) and you will see cloudy eyes.
Maybe there is a relation.
Bill Baka

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/
Old November 10th 04, 07:51 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Terry Morse wrote:

Prolonged exposure to UV-B radiation has been linked to cataracts.
Besides, sunburned eyeballs and eyelids hurt. I also find all day
rides on sunny days tiring without sunglasses.

Even with a brimmed hat or equivalent?

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.
Old November 10th 04, 08:10 PM
Maggie

Pat wrote:
I thought I had found the perfect sunglasses: they're polarized and the
lenses are barely tan (so as not to make the day look darker). Today was the
first day I have tried riding my bike with the new glasses. I can't read my
bicycle computer while wearing them! The polarization makes a black smear
across the front of the cyclocomputer! When I take off the glasses, the
screen of the computer looks just fine.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Pat in TX

I have a problem understanding the notion that there is a computer on
your bicycle. I think I will do a search on cyclocomputer and learn
something. What was I doing while bike riding was becoming hi tech? I
guess I was raising three kids. They tend to make you brain dead.
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
Old November 10th 04, 08:23 PM
Maggie

Mike McGuire wrote in message link.net...
Pat wrote:
I thought I had found the perfect sunglasses: they're polarized and the
lenses are barely tan (so as not to make the day look darker). Today was the
first day I have tried riding my bike with the new glasses. I can't read my
bicycle computer while wearing them!

OK a BICYCLE COMPUTER really intriqued me. I actually did my own
research. I had visions of putting my laptop on my handlebars. So I
looked it up....I have no clue what it all means...but I know its not
my laptop. :-) If my ignorance annoys anyone...KILL FILE ME. I found
out what that is too. I am sooo proud.
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

All the features you would expect in our top-of-the-line Turbo
Computer plus a few that may surprise you.
16mm Primary/8mm Secondary dot matrix function readout
Pro Features: Altitude and Altitude Gain, Inclinometer and
Thermometer
Plus Elite Features: Wireless speed function, Cadence incl. Avg. And
Max Cadence, 2nd. Wheel capability
Plus Comp Features: Stopwatch with 12 lap memory, Interval Timer and
Distance Countdown
Plus Sport Features: Clock, Current, Max & Avg Speed, Odometer/Trip
Meter, Auto Timer
Electroluminescent backlight
Easy Calibration offers most popular tire sizes preprogrammed into
computer
2nd Wheel option so you can use it on two bikes with additional
mounting kit (available in Spare Parts section)
Old November 10th 04, 08:31 PM
Terry Morse

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Terry Morse wrote:

Prolonged exposure to UV-B radiation has been linked to cataracts.
Besides, sunburned eyeballs and eyelids hurt. I also find all day
rides on sunny days tiring without sunglasses.

Even with a brimmed hat or equivalent?

Reflected light can be pretty strong. On snowy or light-colored
desert landscapes, a brimmed hat doesn't help much. I've gotten a
sunburn on my forehead, even though I was wearing a baseball cap.

Then there's the obvious problem of wearing a brimmed hat on a bike.
Old November 10th 04, 09:24 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Terry Morse wrote:

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Terry Morse wrote:

Prolonged exposure to UV-B radiation has been linked to cataracts.
Besides, sunburned eyeballs and eyelids hurt. I also find all day
rides on sunny days tiring without sunglasses.

Even with a brimmed hat or equivalent?

Reflected light can be pretty strong. On snowy or light-colored
desert landscapes, a brimmed hat doesn't help much.

True .. I've rarely found that to be an issue 'round here.

Then there's the obvious problem of wearing a brimmed hat on a bike.

Which is what? Don't most cycling caps have brims?

On brevets, where I'm required to wear a helmet, the visor on my helmet
works quite well for keeping the sun out of my eyes.

Old November 10th 04, 09:33 PM
Badger

On 10 Nov 2004 12:23:48 -0800, (Maggie) wrote:

OK a BICYCLE COMPUTER really intriqued me. I actually did my own
research. I had visions of putting my laptop on my handlebars. So I
looked it up....I have no clue what it all means...but I know its not
my laptop. :-) If my ignorance annoys anyone...KILL FILE ME. I found
out what that is too. I am sooo proud.
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

Since nobody here has shown even the slightest sign of being annoyed by
you, why would you shout (all-caps) that?

Just curious.

-B

Old November 10th 04, 10:05 PM
Bill Baka

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:24:40 -0800, Benjamin Lewis
wrote:

Terry Morse wrote:

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Terry Morse wrote:

Prolonged exposure to UV-B radiation has been linked to cataracts.
Besides, sunburned eyeballs and eyelids hurt. I also find all day
rides on sunny days tiring without sunglasses.

Even with a brimmed hat or equivalent?

Reflected light can be pretty strong. On snowy or light-colored
desert landscapes, a brimmed hat doesn't help much.

True .. I've rarely found that to be an issue 'round here.

Then there's the obvious problem of wearing a brimmed hat on a bike.

Which is what? Don't most cycling caps have brims?

On brevets, where I'm required to wear a helmet, the visor on my helmet
works quite well for keeping the sun out of my eyes.

Ever tried a baseball hat? The rim is just enough to keep the sun
from coming in over the top of my sunglasses. Of course all the
kids keep telling me that to be cool I have to wear it backwards.
I am grandfather to 2 of them and they still want to be my
fashion police. Anyway, less sun is better for the eyes so go
with what you want, because the damage doesn't start to show
until hit around 45, (been there, done that) and will put on the
sidelines by 60 or so (not there yet).
Bill Baka

99 Sunglasses - wired. Badger_South General 16 October 26th 04 05:05 PM
Sunglasses w/Rx insert Fred Hall General 33 June 27th 04 07:47 PM
Sunglasses for cycling Graeme UK 16 February 21st 04 09:12 AM
FS Rudy Project Sunglasses and Lens (UK) David Hart UK 2 February 13th 04 07:51 PM
Oakley Sunglasses Caliban General 4 October 16th 03 09:07 PM