polarized sunglasses

Old November 14th 04, 01:40 AM
Terry Morse

Michael J. Klein wrote:

What kind of eye damage have you suffered which makes you wear such
eye protection?

I have no permanent eye damage from UV radiation, because I wear eye
protection. Protecting your eyes from UV damage is called prevention.

Try to limit your reponse to a useful comment this time please.

I thought that's what I did, the snide comment was included gratis.

Thanks.

You're welcome.
Old November 14th 04, 01:44 AM
Terry Morse

Bill Baka wrote:

Since most people here
will probably live into their 90's from staying fit, don't
try to cause them to ruin their eyes.

In addition, we cyclist types tend to spend long hours in the
sunlight, increasing our risk of eye damage. My ride log says I've
had 888 hours on the bike so far this year, mostly on sunny days.
Old November 14th 04, 02:34 AM
Bill Baka

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:44:47 -0800, Terry Morse wrote:

Bill Baka wrote:

Since most people here
will probably live into their 90's from staying fit, don't
try to cause them to ruin their eyes.

In addition, we cyclist types tend to spend long hours in the
sunlight, increasing our risk of eye damage. My ride log says I've
had 888 hours on the bike so far this year, mostly on sunny days.

Yeah, being outside sure beats inside. I even rode while the
superbowl was on. There have been maybe 5 days this year that
I have not ridden due to repair days for all the kids bikes.
I average about 2 hours a day with some of my road adventures
taking up to 9 hours. Sunglasses and a brimmed hat for me and
to heck with the style.
Well, happy riding.

--
Just Bill again
Old November 16th 04, 01:10 PM
Michael J. Klein

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:58:27 -0800, Bill Baka wrote:

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:40:44 +0800, Michael J. Klein
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:11:36 -0800, Terry Morse
wrote:

Michael J. Klein wrote:

Terry Morse wrote:

Michael J. Klein wrote:

My eyes have adjusted to this planet and hence I have no need for
sunglasses, ever.

You have adapted some new form of UV blocking eyeballs? Cool. Lamark
would be pleased to know that.

UV doen't bother me at all. Why does it bother you?

Why does spending hours in the sunlight without protection bother
me? Because I'm a human, and humans are susceptible to skin and eye
damage. You apparently have mutated into a UV-resistant super being.
Congratulations.

What kind of eye damage have you suffered which makes you wear such
eye protection?

Try to limit your reponse to a useful comment this time please.
Thanks.

Michael J. Klein
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

UV does not do any damage that is immediately noticeable.
It takes years (about 40) to do any harm. Problem is that
by the time you start to notice it you are too late.
Kids in school used to call UV ultraviolent light.
They were not that far off the mark. It is UV that makes
old paper fade and turn brown. Lately it is worse due to
the infamous 'Ozone layer' being killed off by human's
folly. If you think you are superman, fine then go and ruin
your own eyes but don't mislead people in this group
thinking no protection is needed. Since most people here
will probably live into their 90's from staying fit, don't
try to cause them to ruin their eyes.
Try some of these sites:
http://seniorhealth.about.com/librar...un_protect.htm
http://www.checkyearly.com/s_check/s...ID=135&DID=219
http://www.nsc.org/ehc/sunwise/health.htm
Google this and you will get about130,000 hits. "eyes sun damage uv"
I could quote more or refine the search but that's not my job.

Bill, i belive that you attribute way too much power to me regarding
my ability to lead or mislead others. lol

Let me point out one thing please, if I may. Originally, I was
talking about sunglasses. I never feel the need for light
attenuation. Simple. Someone got smartassed and then make some
comment about me mutating (typical bull****). I live in a country
where optical science is very well developed. I wear 100% titanium
framed, carbon composite lens glasses, with a very high tech coating
that sheets water, nearly eliminates reflections and if of course, UV
proof. My questions about UV were to solicit answers and absolutely
no one made the observation that sunglasses are not the *only* way
that one can protect themselves from the deadly UV. Some argue that
the only way is sunglasses. Ridiculous. That was all I said - I
don't feel the need to wear sunglasses.

I will be honest and say that I don't put a great day of faith in the
medical community and their long term forecasts on human health. When
things like minerals are overlooked in the diet, its difficult for me
to believe the hype about light which has been here since the
beginning of the human race.

Thanks for being constructive and not personally insulting Bill.
Always a pleasure.

Old November 16th 04, 01:12 PM
Michael J. Klein

Bill Baka wrote:

Since most people here
will probably live into their 90's from staying fit, don't
try to cause them to ruin their eyes.

In addition, we cyclist types tend to spend long hours in the
sunlight, increasing our risk of eye damage. My ride log says I've
had 888 hours on the bike so far this year, mostly on sunny days.

Yeah, being outside sure beats inside. I even rode while the
superbowl was on. There have been maybe 5 days this year that
I have not ridden due to repair days for all the kids bikes.
I average about 2 hours a day with some of my road adventures
taking up to 9 hours. Sunglasses and a brimmed hat for me and
to heck with the style.
Well, happy riding.

The people here are pretty much city people. They think I'm nuts
because I like to walk around or ride around outside. They really
think its odd that anyone would prefer to live and sleep outdoors than
indoors. Its because you can't run the karaoke machine outdoors
without a generator I guess.

Old November 16th 04, 03:07 PM
Bill Baka

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:10:36 +0800, Michael J. Klein
wrote:

[...]

Let me say that in a more general way, if that is possible within this
group.
I don't always wear sunglasses on overcast days. The ones I do wear are
prescription and supposedly blue blockers, which they are not, verified
by looking at a Windows 2000 'Blue screen of Death' which comes up black
with true blue blockers. There are, that I can think of, 4 things to look
for in sunglasses, and I know that no one company offers them all, least of
all in a prescription format. Visible darkening, UV protection,
polarization,
and 'new twist' IR blocking.
Visible darkening can be done just by smoked glass but only affects
visible light.
UV should not normally be visible although if you have an agressive lens,
it
will block the blue from a computer monitor.
Polarization cuts the light in half and I have used it to great advantage
reduce glare, both from water and car windows, mostly when I am behind them
in one of the unavoidable 150 jaunts to the Silicon Valley auto parking
lot.
Regardless of some opinions it is safer to wear polarized than not to.
IR, although nobody thinks of it would help very much with the 'cooked
eyeball'
syndrome I experience when driving. Although the visible light is cut down
somewhat the IR now goes through my relaxed irises and onto my retina,
which
does cause discomfort after a while, from heat off the dashboard, which is
solar heated despite my air conditioner making it 65 F inside the car.
Considering all of the above I am just looking out for my long term vision,
and after 56 years of precautions I can still ride my bike in the country
by the light of a quarter moon, no lights, when I am on a really back road
or trail. This is a great side effect since when I do that the wildlife
is not disturbed. I am semi color blind according to that stupid test, but
even
my wife can't see yellow marker on white paper. This tells me I probably
have
more rods than cones in my eyes, rods being the low light mono sensors and
cones
being the color sensing part of the retina but only good in fairly bright
situations.I even wear clip on shades over my normal prescription glasses
on the brightest of days, plus my 'Fred' baseball cap and its visor.
Since my dad, the outdoor hard assed army sergeant never wore sunglasses
and got cataracts at 62 I don't want to find out that I get the same thing
and it could have been prevented.
Sorry this was long but I did not want to miss anything.
I have worked with optics in some of my military surveillance work, so it
is a spillover into my world or electronics.

Bill (not always politically correct) Baka
Old November 16th 04, 03:11 PM
Bill Baka

wrote:

Bill Baka wrote:

[...]

I am a karaoke coward since I wandered into a Korean restuarant to order
takeout and the crowd 'All Korean' hended me a mkie while I waited.
I tried to sing a Korean song dubbed in, what else, Korean, and had
them rolling on the floor ant the American they just suckered. When
my order came I was gone in a flash even though I was overcharged
by about 2 to 1. $25.00 for a one person takeout??
They had me that night.

Bill (not always politically correct) Baka

99 Sunglasses - wired. Badger_South General 16 October 26th 04 05:05 PM
Sunglasses w/Rx insert Fred Hall General 33 June 27th 04 07:47 PM
Sunglasses for cycling Graeme UK 16 February 21st 04 09:12 AM
FS Rudy Project Sunglasses and Lens (UK) David Hart UK 2 February 13th 04 07:51 PM
Oakley Sunglasses Caliban General 4 October 16th 03 09:07 PM