I wussed out today

Old November 12th 04, 01:37 PM
dgk

Default I wussed out today

I decided last night that I was not biking to work today. The weather
report was a high of 42F and rain all day. I haven't really figured
out rain riding yet. It worked once, but that was going home and
warmer, yet my gloves got soaked and my hands were cold towards the
end.

Sure enough, this morning it was raining. And chilly. So, perhaps once
I get the gloves figured out I can pull this off. I wonder if I get
shocked if wearing battery powered gloves in the rain.
Old November 12th 04, 03:02 PM
Roger Moore

Get an indoor trainer and forget about riding in rain/snow. Less dangerous
and you won't get sick.

~ AB ~

Old November 12th 04, 03:14 PM
dgk

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:02:48 -0500, "Roger Moore" wrote:

Get an indoor trainer and forget about riding in rain/snow. Less dangerous
and you won't get sick.

~ AB ~

I don't think riding in the rain/snow causes sickness. But the
alternative, riding in buses and subways filled with sick folks, that
does cause sickness.

Is it statistically more dangerous to bike in the snow and rain in a
big city? I think other folks are being more careful also.

But there is no question that it is not really enjoyable being wet and
cold.
Old November 12th 04, 03:18 PM
Neil Brooks

dgk wrote:
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:02:48 -0500, "Roger Moore" wrote:

Get an indoor trainer and forget about riding in rain/snow. Less
dangerous and you won't get sick.

~ AB ~

I don't think riding in the rain/snow causes sickness. But the
alternative, riding in buses and subways filled with sick folks, that
does cause sickness.

Is it statistically more dangerous to bike in the snow and rain in a
big city? I think other folks are being more careful also.

But there is no question that it is not really enjoyable being wet and
cold.

That's why I live in San Diego.

I've traded all that "wet and cold" stuff for impossible traffic, $500,000
median home prices (that only 19% of the population can afford), wildfires,
earthquakes, and smog.

:-D

Old November 12th 04, 03:36 PM
Badger

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:37:59 -0500, dgk
wrote:

I decided last night that I was not biking to work today. The weather
report was a high of 42F and rain all day. I haven't really figured
out rain riding yet. It worked once, but that was going home and
warmer, yet my gloves got soaked and my hands were cold towards the
end.

Sure enough, this morning it was raining. And chilly. So, perhaps once
I get the gloves figured out I can pull this off. I wonder if I get
shocked if wearing battery powered gloves in the rain.

It's tough to consider cycling in the rain when you're doing it as part of
a commute.

OTOH, I'm looking forward to trying out the neoprene booties and the latex
glove liners lol, since it's 55 F, and raining on and off. However, I get
to come in and take a shower to wash all the mud off. On days like this I
usually skip the early morning ride.

You might consider working out the kinks of riding in the rain on the
weekends when you're not adding the complexity of getting cleaned up at
work and then spending 8 hours at your desk.

-B

Old November 12th 04, 03:38 PM
Badger

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:02:48 -0500, "Roger Moore" wrote:

Get an indoor trainer and forget about riding in rain/snow. Less dangerous
and you won't get sick.

~ AB ~

Isn't that a myth, that being cold and wet makes you sick?

I rode in some gawd-awful conditions all last winter and only got sick once
in the spring, and that was fairly mild.

-B

.. .

Old November 12th 04, 03:40 PM
dgk

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:18:46 GMT, "Neil Brooks"
wrote:

dgk wrote:
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:02:48 -0500, "Roger Moore" wrote:

Get an indoor trainer and forget about riding in rain/snow. Less
dangerous and you won't get sick.

~ AB ~

I don't think riding in the rain/snow causes sickness. But the
alternative, riding in buses and subways filled with sick folks, that
does cause sickness.

Is it statistically more dangerous to bike in the snow and rain in a
big city? I think other folks are being more careful also.

But there is no question that it is not really enjoyable being wet and
cold.

That's why I live in San Diego.

I've traded all that "wet and cold" stuff for impossible traffic, $500,000
median home prices (that only 19% of the population can afford), wildfires,
earthquakes, and smog.

:-D

Every year during winter I think about moving. But I really love the
beach, so that sort of limits the possibilities. I spend all summer on
the beach. I'd like to ride there but the umbrella, chair, and body
board make that a bit difficult.
Old November 12th 04, 03:52 PM
Claire Petersky

"Roger Moore" wrote in message ...
Get an indoor trainer and forget about riding in rain/snow. Less dangerous
and you won't get sick.

Riding in the rain ain't so bad, and it works the opposite -- you'll be less
likely to get sick if you are clearing out your lungs and nose in the cool
air, than if you are walled in with other people, who are just bristling
with germs.

And you know what I say about indoor trainers...

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old November 12th 04, 05:27 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I decided last night that I was not biking to work today. The weather
report was a high of 42F and rain all day. I haven't really figured
out rain riding yet. It worked once, but that was going home and
warmer, yet my gloves got soaked and my hands were cold towards the
end.

Sure enough, this morning it was raining. And chilly. So, perhaps once
I get the gloves figured out I can pull this off. I wonder if I get
shocked if wearing battery powered gloves in the rain.

On the other hand, you might try to turn things inside-out and actually look
forward to riding in nasty weather. I didn't get the cold temps you had
though; generally, the coldest it will be here (when raining) is about 38F
or so. But when it does get that cold, I'll be out there! And when it's
cold, wet & windy, that's when it's really fun in the hills. Actually, it's
not so bad on the bike, but you do worry about the (rare when that nasty)
cars sliding around.

From yesterday's almost-daily diary entry (www.ChainReaction.com/diary.htm)

11/11/04- BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR... because, as they say, you just
might get it! So far this season, my "rain" rides have been more nuisance
than epic, and this morning was looking to be little different. A bit of
drizzle at the start, enough to scare everyone away except Kevin. I started
out overdressed, wearing my waterproof pants and jacket, both of which I
removed at Hudart Park on the way up Kings Mtn. Kevin didn't have enough
time for the full Old LaHonda loop, so instead we headed about halfway down
Bear Creek, encountering an increasingly-thick fog as we got closer to the
coast. We had to turn around just where it gets really steep, since my rain
bike doesn't have low gears (52/42 front, 13/23 rear), and the drizzle
immediately turned to rain. Light rain at first, but by the time we got back
to Skyline is was seriously dumping (as you can tell from the weather map).
Since Kevin had no flashing lights (and visibility was getting bad), I
accompanied him back to his place (near Swett Road) and then headed down
King's Mtn. Oh, did that hurt! Combine heavy rain with speed from descending
and you get an eyeful... a painful eyeful! When it's that nasty out, my
Oakleys don't work very well (no wiper blades), so you're squinting and
trying to look up as little as possible, since each raindrop seems like a
little missile targeting your eyes.

Fortunately, it wasn't too cold (no lower than 50 degrees) so I didn't have
any control issues (no shaking), and when it's raining that hard, your
traction is very consistent so you never feel like your bike is going to go
out under you. Still, it felt really nice to get to the bottom of the hill
and put a bit of effort into the pedals again, not to mention that the
slower speeds were a lot easier on the eyes!

I really didn't expect to see anybody else out there in the muck, but as I
approached Canada Road I saw somebody heading North, making tracks and
kicking up a lot of water in the still-heavy rain. That guy automatically
gained a lot of respect in my book, and even more when I pulled up next to
him and found that it was probably somebody in his 70s who, silly like me,
rides rain or shine. In his case, he parks at Canada Road & 92 and rides his
20-year-old Schwinn High Sierra mountain bike out past Woodside and back.
Made me wish I had a waterproof camera to get a photo; maybe I'll try one of
those cheapie $20 keychain digital cameras next time (don't want to ruin my
expensive cameras by getting them soaked; electronics generally don't like
that!). This guy was definitely my hero for the day.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old November 12th 04, 06:22 PM
Bill Baka

wrote:

I decided last night that I was not biking to work today. The weather
report was a high of 42F and rain all day. I haven't really figured
out rain riding yet. It worked once, but that was going home and
warmer, yet my gloves got soaked and my hands were cold towards the
end.

Sure enough, this morning it was raining. And chilly. So, perhaps once
I get the gloves figured out I can pull this off. I wonder if I get
shocked if wearing battery powered gloves in the rain.

Wussing out is better than arriving at work with an already bleak outlook.
Bill Baka

Vuelta after TT today? alex Racing 21 September 14th 04 05:41 AM
An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
I though the Posties would take it a bit easier today Mike Bruno Racing 0 July 22nd 04 01:18 AM
LA power up the mountain today ?? [email protected] Racing 0 July 21st 04 06:53 PM
Read & retch: interview on "Today" w/ celeb driver-killer of cyclist. BikeAdman Social Issues 3 November 19th 03 07:17 AM