It's your fault

Old November 15th 04, 11:11 AM
Maggie

Bill Baka wrote in message ...
On 14 Nov 2004 07:34:12 -0800, Maggie wrote:
Money or fitness?

Fitness wins. Everybody I know that lives in their million
dollar houses are stressed out, overweight, etc. I don't
know if money wins or living better with less capital.
I'll take the latter since I don't want to be one of those
who wins by dying with the most money.
Bill Baka

I think I have seen both worlds and trying to be the one who dies with
the most money or the most toys is not the way to live. When I was a
kid we were really poor. I lived in Newark NJ in a small apartment.
We were poor but we were really happy. Then we moved to the town I
live in now where the kids had alot compared to me. I hated it. I was
poor in a town that was pretty rich by my standards. I never fit in.
When the 60's hit I fit in well as a hippie chick and I was happy with
very little. Through the years money became very important to me. I
worked hard to have money. I bought more STUFF than any one person
would ever need. Money was my driving force. I worked two jobs at
times then started my own business. The more important money became,
the more stressed and unhappy I became. I think I finally have life in
perspective. I think I have finally come to realize what is really
important in my life. I have a wonderful life filled with family and
friends. I made peace with my brother after not speaking to him for
years. He was my brother and my best friend and my ego made me turn my
back on him. Now he is back and I am blessed with his love and
friendship again. I take trips to Tahoe to be with my niece and her
children...not Vegas to gamble and win the mega millions. It took a
long time for me to understand how much I had. Dying with the most
toys is nothing...living and dying surrounded by family and friends
who love you is everything. I am fortunate to still have both my
parents, three great kids that I absolutely adore, a husband who puts
up with all my ****, and great, great friends and my health. What
more could anyone ask from life? I am a very lucky woman and it took
me too long to realize that. No one wins by dying with the most money.

http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html

http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

Old November 15th 04, 12:35 PM
Maggie

"Cheto" wrote in message ...
"Beaker" wrote in message

My belated recommendation would be to try snowshoeing instead.
After snowshoeing for the first time last winter I doubt I'll
ever ski again - loved every second of it.

You bring 'em both. You snowshoe UP and ski DOWN.

Cheto

I am hoping I figure out how to put them on. I'll worry about going
up and getting back down after.

;-)

Old November 15th 04, 02:53 PM
Claire Petersky

"Maggie" wrote in message
om...

I am at a crossroad. I can go for the exercise and health or I can
make a reservation at my favorite restaurant and order a wonderfully
unhealthy meal.

No, the way it works is you go for exercise and health and you go to your
favorite restaurant (here's mine http://www.kaspars.com/, I'm going there
for my birthday) and order a wonderful meal, myself.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old November 15th 04, 03:01 PM
OughtFour

Cheto wrote (of show shoes and skis):
You bring 'em both. You snowshoe UP and ski DOWN.

The beauty of cross-country skis is that you use them to go both ways, up
and down.

Schussing downhill is fun, but xcountry is (I think) more about being part
of the winter world than about speed thrills.

I hope Maggie has fun with it.

Old November 15th 04, 04:07 PM
Terry Morse

Cheto wrote:

"Beaker" wrote:

My belated recommendation would be to try snowshoeing instead.
After snowshoeing for the first time last winter I doubt I'll
ever ski again - loved every second of it.

You bring 'em both. You snowshoe UP and ski DOWN.

Leave those goofy, clumsy, slow snowshoes home. All you need are
climbing skins and skis. Except on the really steep pitches, I can
outclimb a snowshoe wearer 2 to 1.

Last January's trip to Tioga Pass, Yosemite:

http://ski.terrymorse.com/trip/tpr0401/index.html
Old November 15th 04, 07:14 PM
Cheto

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message

No, the way it works is you go for exercise and health and you go to your
favorite restaurant (here's mine http://www.kaspars.com/, I'm going there
for my birthday) and order a wonderful meal, myself.

Decent wine list, although focused a little too heavily on the Pacific
Northwest. '97 Opus One for $218 is a bargain, believe it or not.

Cheto

Old November 15th 04, 07:34 PM
Gary

I can't resist posting this famous discussion about childhood from
the wonderful Mony Python....

http://www.phespirit.info/montypytho...rkshiremen.htm

The Scene:
Four well-dressed men are sitting together at a vacation resort.
'Farewell to Thee' is played in the background on Hawaiian guitar.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You're right there, Obadiah.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking
Château de Chasselas, eh?
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
A cup o' cold tea.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Without milk or sugar.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Or tea.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
In a cracked cup, an' all.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up
newspaper.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy
you happiness, son".
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, 'e was right.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, 'e was.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old
house with great big holes in the roof.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room,
all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we
were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t'
corridor!
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace
to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got
woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over
us! House? Huh.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a
sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in
a lake.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us
living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Cardboard box?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic
tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper
bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen
hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got
home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the
morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour
day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us
to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of
shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We
had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill
for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would
slice us in two wit' bread knife.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an
hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work
twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission
to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would
kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't
believe you.
ALL:
They won't!
Old November 16th 04, 04:33 AM
Claire Petersky

No, the way it works is you go for exercise and health and you go to

your
favorite restaurant (here's mine http://www.kaspars.com/, I'm going

there
for my birthday) and order a wonderful meal, myself.

Decent wine list, although focused a little too heavily on the Pacific
Northwest. '97 Opus One for $218 is a bargain, believe it or not.

I'll let Marcus know you approve.

Old November 16th 04, 01:34 PM
Maggie

Terry Morse wrote in message ...
Cheto wrote:

Last January's trip to Tioga Pass, Yosemite:

http://ski.terrymorse.com/trip/tpr0401/index.html

You know there are a hell of a lot of hot guys on this NG. Nice eye
candy for this old gal. (I may be old, but I am not dead).... Yes,
just like men can be suckers for beautiful women....so can women be
suckers for good looking guys. Tis true, tis true. Good looking guys
with good hearts. What a combo. A good looking guy with a good heart.
Now that's a beautiful thing. Hard to find, but a beautiful thing. ;-)
What does this have to do with cycling....well nothing....I have just
been admiring the pics and thinking about some of the fancy dancers
who have danced so smoothly through my life. I guess I am just
reflecting. The hot guy pics are overloading my brain. ;-) I want to
know if a hot guy can have a good heart. I'm sure they can....it's
just that I have never met one. Tis sad...very sad. End of rant.
BTW...I rode my bike today....and I went just a little further. I
should have been packing for Tahoe....but I went riding. I was proud.
;-)

http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

In the words of Cat Stevens (or whatever the hell he calls himself
now)
I know a lot of fancy dancers,
People who can glide you on a floor,
They move so smooth but have no answers.
When you ask "why'd you come here for?"
"i don't know" "why?"

As easy it was to tell black from white,
It was all that easy to tell wrong from right.
And our choices were few and the thought never hit
That the one road we traveled would ever shatter and split.
"Bob Dylan"