Hobby cyclists (long)

Old May 16th 05, 09:09 AM
Claire Petersky

"Tom Keats" wrote in message

I've also been drawn into chat that goes on a little too long,
by people apparently having mental health issues, on public
transit buses. So maybe the guy was just lonely and socially
awkward, and needed some human-to-human contact and some
charitable regard. If that's the case, you did a good deed.
I note you were quite patient and polite with him.

God, I hope you're all charitable to me, too, on the road, for the
equivalent reasons.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

See the books I've set free at:

Old May 16th 05, 02:53 PM
Dukester

Default Hobby cyclists (long)

Had an interesting commute home Friday afternoon. Being the last day of
exams in this college town, the ride was quieter than usual (fewer than
normal beachbound partygoers). It was nice. The ride home (about 10 miles)
is along and then off of a dead end road to a lake. About halfway home I
heard another cyclist coming up behind me. I moved over to let them pass
(it is a popular route for area cyclists). The fellow moved up alongside
asking my name, and then proceeded with a string of questions; where do I
live, do I like Kelme? , etc. Most of the questions came off with an
condescending attitude behind them. "Oh, so you're _just_ commuting?" and
when asking where I lived in relation to town, "I guess thats a nice
_little_ ride". There were other comments and glances at my late 80's
Peugeot that made me feel sorry for the fellow if he was that shallow and
such a poor representative of the sport. He had the full setup that looked
nice but kind of showy (bike and clothes).

I tried to be polite but curt with my answers as I just wanted to enjoy what
was left of the ride home (alone) and he'd already hung around too long.
Finally getting a clue, he started sprinting off and made a final comment
"Well, bud, I hope you don't have a wreck" (emphasis on bud). I knew where
this was going but feigned ignorance and let it play out. He quickly added
a sarcastic "Without a helmet, a wreck could be ugly." I told him with a
smile "With a helmet, a wreck could be ugly too!" It was as true as his
statement.

He made an attempt at leaving me behind but never got very far ahead. It
was kind of amusing considering what I was carrying and his setup. Then, to
top it all off, he met 2 other cyclists and a pickup carrying a bike coming
the opposite direction in the intersection of my road; proceeding to chat
and take up the entire intersection, so much so that myself and then a car
behind me had to come to a near stop and go around them in the grass. I
just shook my head and it occurred to me that I never had this kind of
experience in 25 years as a runner with fellow runners, but more than a few
similar experiences cycling. I did an 8 mile run when I got home down to
the wildlife refuge for some peace and quiet.

Old May 16th 05, 03:29 PM
psycholist

"Dukester" wrote in message

(long snip)

Sounds like you're the one who had an attitude and a high-and-mighty opinion
of yourself. Seemed to me that he just wanted to be friendly and you put up
a wall.

It also sounds like you're defensive about whatever it is you've done to
convince yourself you wouldn't be better off wearing a helmet.

Try lightening up.
--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Old May 16th 05, 05:37 PM
bryanska

I agree with the OP. There is a lot of snobbery in the sport. I just
picked it up last year. I've noticed that it's analagous to B-ball
players talking about their skills, but bicyclists (if snobby) tend to
boast about equipment.

The nail in the coffin?

"Bud."

IMHO, the word "Bud" is like a finger in my chest. I ain't your bud.

Old May 16th 05, 05:51 PM
Rich Clark

"Dukester" wrote in message

"Oh, so you're _just_ commuting?"

For me, comparison of annual mileage usually shuts that one down pretty
fast.

RichC

Old May 16th 05, 06:06 PM
Bill Sornson

psycholist wrote:
"Dukester" wrote in message

(long snip)

Sounds like you're the one who had an attitude and a high-and-mighty
opinion of yourself. Seemed to me that he just wanted to be friendly
and you put up a wall.

It also sounds like you're defensive about whatever it is you've done
to convince yourself you wouldn't be better off wearing a helmet.

Try lightening up.

OK, your reply got me to read the OP (I must have missed or ignored it). I
agree with Bob; something doesn't add up.

If the other guy was truly a snooty, elitist cyclist, he wouldn't have even
acknowledged The Dukester's (lol) existence. Sounds like he was just trying
to be friendly. (Although I DO agree that unsolicited "helmet preaching" is
uncalled for. Maybe it resulted FROM the OP's cold shoulder attitude?)

Apparently the ol' Dukester is happier on his solo 8-mile runs than chatting
with a fellow cyclist for a few minutes.

Whatever.

Bill S.

Old May 16th 05, 06:08 PM
Bill Sornson

bryanska wrote:
I agree with the OP. There is a lot of snobbery in the sport. I just
picked it up last year. I've noticed that it's analagous to B-ball
players talking about their skills, but bicyclists (if snobby) tend to
boast about equipment.

The nail in the coffin?

"Bud."

IMHO, the word "Bud" is like a finger in my chest. I ain't your bud.

But...but...Fabrizio would never even GLANCE at the OP! Something is
inconsistent here, Bud.

:-D

Old May 16th 05, 06:27 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Dukester" writes:

The fellow moved up alongside
asking my name, and then proceeded with a string of questions; where do I
live, do I like Kelme? , etc. Most of the questions came off with an
condescending attitude behind them. "Oh, so you're _just_ commuting?" and
when asking where I lived in relation to town, "I guess thats a nice
_little_ ride".

Maybe you were investigated by some intelligence service agent.
Or a wannabe. I don't mind brief little small-talk conversations
with other riders, but this guy sure was a busybody.

I've also been drawn into chat that goes on a little too long,
by people apparently having mental health issues, on public
transit buses. So maybe the guy was just lonely and socially
awkward, and needed some human-to-human contact and some
charitable regard. If that's the case, you did a good deed.
I note you were quite patient and polite with him.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old May 16th 05, 06:27 PM
bryanska

LOL... "Fabrizio"

I'm makin' that my word of the day.

Old May 16th 05, 08:19 PM
Dukester

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
If the other guy was truly a snooty, elitist cyclist, he wouldn't have

even
acknowledged The Dukester's (lol) existence. Sounds like he was just

trying
to be friendly. (Although I DO agree that unsolicited "helmet preaching"

is
uncalled for. Maybe it resulted FROM the OP's cold shoulder attitude?)

Apparently the ol' Dukester is happier on his solo 8-mile runs than

chatting
with a fellow cyclist for a few minutes.

Well, yes, I am happier on those runs if your definition of chatting to be
him giving the once over type look while making remarks like it was cute
that I rode to work. I stand by the assertion that they were made
condescendingly, and it wouldn't have taken a genius in human behavior to
figure that out at the time. The fact that him and his "buds" didn't mind
blocking an intersection while they were chatting should speak for itself.

Cheers!
Duke

[Long] ASA vs CTC Not Responding UK 18 January 20th 05 01:36 AM
The best way to improve safety for cyclists in a city... Paul R Social Issues 43 November 23rd 04 11:14 PM
Critical Mass: Peaceful Cyclists to Reclaim City Streets TIME'S UP! (via Jym Dyer) Social Issues 0 September 24th 04 05:10 AM
Mail on Sunday andy w UK 92 October 27th 03 01:42 PM
Dr. Gridlock and Cycling (LONG) Luigi de Guzman General 6 September 3rd 03 11:17 AM