Recommendation for Commuting Tyres

Old July 30th 08, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Recommendation for Commuting Tyres

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:55:04 -0700 (PDT)
Duncan Smith wrote:

After practice it gets so you can fit any 'orrible combination without
levers.

Most, but not any.

Old July 30th 08, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In news:20080730003632.0bb5071a@bluemoon,
Rob Morley tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
Duncan Smith wrote:

After practice it gets so you can fit any 'orrible combination
without levers.

Most, but not any.

+1. Schwalbes - I've had experience of Stelvios, Marathon Slicks and
Marathon Racers - will not go on the Alex rims on my Trice without a
prolonged battle, a VAR tyre lever and a lot of swearing. Even getting the
buggers off is something not approached lightly.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old July 30th 08, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Dave Larrington wrote:

+1. Schwalbes - I've had experience of Stelvios, Marathon Slicks and
Marathon Racers - will not go on the Alex rims on my Trice without a
prolonged battle, a VAR tyre lever and a lot of swearing. Even getting the
buggers off is something not approached lightly.

First couple of times I put Marathons on/off my Brom was an exercise in
blue air in the immediate neighbourhood. Last time I had to do it the
new one went on with thumbs alone so the muscle-building steak dinner
with accompanying glass of steroid-laced testosterone was completely
wasted... Maybe they've loosened them up a little (it's the same rim)
or there is some variation?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old July 30th 08, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:31:37 +0100, Peter Clinch
said in
:

First couple of times I put Marathons on/off my Brom was an exercise in
blue air in the immediate neighbourhood.

aol /

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old July 30th 08, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

Kevlar cloth isn't perfect for puncture proofing. A small sliver of
glass can get between the kevlar threads, and when it does so the
resulting puncture has both a hole, and a piece of glass, that are
more difficult to find than normal.

Thicker tyres or inner tubes probably lessen the number of punctures,
but make the bike feel more obnoxious to ride.

Slime, or similar hole blocking compounds reputedly work on small
holes, but make fixing large holes impossible.

So maybe the answer - I've never tried the combination - is slime
inside the inner tube, plus a kevlar belted tyre.

Jeremy Parker

Old July 31st 08, 02:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Jeremy Parker wrote:
Kevlar cloth isn't perfect for puncture proofing. A small sliver of
glass can get between the kevlar threads, and when it does so the
resulting puncture has both a hole, and a piece of glass, that are
more difficult to find than normal.

Thicker tyres or inner tubes probably lessen the number of punctures,
but make the bike feel more obnoxious to ride.

Slime, or similar hole blocking compounds reputedly work on small
holes,

sometimes,

but make fixing large holes impossible.

Slime doesn't seal large holes, but you can still patch the tube in the
traditional way.

Don't bother with Slime, is my advice, and just simply use tyres with a
reasonably thick layer of rubber*, whether or not they also have Kevlar
belts. Rolling resistance may be higher than that of more flexible tyres,
slightly slowing you down, but the ride won't be obnoxious as long as the
tyres are not too knobbly and you don't pump them up too hard.

If you are concerned about speed and weight much, though, don't go to the
extreme of using the most puncture resistant tyres available if you are
prepared to fix the /occasional/ puncture. It's not that difficult. You
shouldn't puncture very often even with average tyres unless you ride on
foot/cycle paths or exceptionally bad roads. Stay away from the gutter on
roads because that's where most of the glass and debris collects. Pay extra
attention to where you're going when it's wet because water makes objects
penetrate more easily.

* Or with a special /thick/ layer under the rubber, like Marathon Plus have.

~PB

Old July 31st 08, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

First couple of times I put Marathons on/off my Brom was an exercise in
blue air in the immediate neighbourhood. *Last time I had to do it the
new one went on with thumbs alone so the muscle-building steak dinner
with accompanying glass of steroid-laced testosterone was completely
wasted... *Maybe they've loosened them up a little (it's the same rim)
or there is some variation?

No they're still buggers to fit - and very good at spoke hole
punctures too. Mine came from the factory with some pretty /raw/brash/
crude spoke work in the hollow coupled with some mediocre rim strip -
many punctures later in a short period of time I got hold of some
Velox tape and M+s - not expecting any punctures any more...

Regards,

Duncan

Old July 31st 08, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Duncan Smith wrote:

First couple of times I put Marathons on/off my Brom was an exercise in
blue air in the immediate neighbourhood. Last time I had to do it the
new one went on with thumbs alone so the muscle-building steak dinner
with accompanying glass of steroid-laced testosterone was completely
wasted... Maybe they've loosened them up a little (it's the same rim)
or there is some variation?

No they're still buggers to fit - and very good at spoke hole
punctures too. Mine came from the factory with some pretty /raw/brash/
crude spoke work in the hollow coupled with some mediocre rim strip -
many punctures later in a short period of time I got hold of some
Velox tape and M+s - not expecting any punctures any more...

i've had them on the city bike since early winter, and they have coped
with my more agressive riding, glass "short cuts" though forgotten
rights of ways around south west london ish area etc.

they aren't fast but i have had zero puntures, they are surefooted be
that road, park or even a touch of nipping though a wet wood, they do
well.

Regards,

Duncan

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Commuting on skinny tyres [email protected] UK 19 October 18th 07 06:25 PM
Recommendation for winter MTB tyres Mike_P UK 10 November 26th 05 10:26 PM
Good tyres for (quick) commuting? Alan Paterson UK 9 April 9th 05 05:06 PM
Commuting Tyres help UK 4 February 21st 04 06:24 PM
recommendation for tyres? mule Mountain Biking 6 July 25th 03 12:17 PM