I had to do this because nobody else did (helmets)

Old July 12th 14, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default I had to do this because nobody else did (helmets)

On Saturday, July 12, 2014 10:33:49 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/12/2014 10:15 AM, jbeattie wrote:

I also don't require special clothes, but I prefer them when I am riding

for pleasure. I commute in cycling clothes because they are comfortable,

convenient and dry quickly. Plus, I have to commute in something and

change

when I get to work, so why not cycling specific clothes?

FWIW, I have no problem with those preferences. I have friends who echo

those views precisely. And I usually use cycling garb for recreational

rides over, say, 15 or 20 miles.

The only downside I see is that others seem to misinterpret those

preferences as necessities, then use them as excuses. I've heard "I

won't ride a bike [to work, or for utility, or even for fun] because I

hate those lycra pants" or "... I don't have a way to carry my good

clothes" or "... helmets mess my hair up" or "... my company doesn't

have showers" or "... I'd look dumb in a racing jersey."

Admittedly, those may have very little to do with the real reasons for

not riding. But I prefer showing that riding - at least, riding

reasonably short distances - is a very normal thing to do, no special

costume required.

--

- Frank Krygowski

Some bicyclists use their bicycles as a utility vehicle for commuting. Other bicyclists use their bicycle commute as a trainig or fitness exercise ride. Also, many bicycles who use their commute fir fitness and or exercise will take a onger route home. Hence a reason that some bicyclists are better off and/or prefer bicycling specific clothing for maxinum comfort.

With the number of people who tell others that what they choose to wear whilst bicycling is wrong, it's a wonder that a lot more people don't give up.

If I want to ride in casual clothing then I do. If I feel I'll be more comfortable or if I just feel like it then I'll wear bicycling specific clothing.

To each their own and may they enjoy their steed and ride.

Cheers
Old July 12th 14, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/12/2014 12:13 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Indeed:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/hall09b.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 12th 14, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, July 12, 2014 6:19:27 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/hall09b.jpg

Fetching.

Andre Jute

Old July 12th 14, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/12/2014 1:13 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Some bicyclists use their bicycles as a utility vehicle for commuting.

Other bicyclists use their bicycle commute as a trainig or fitness
exercise ride.
Also, many bicycles who use their commute fir fitness and or exercise
will take
a onger route home.

Yes. I've done all of the above, hundreds of times. If I weren't
retired, I'd still be doing all of the above. The only difference now
is I substitute "utility riding" for "commuting."

Hence a reason that some bicyclists are better off and/or

prefer bicycling specific clothing for maxinum comfort.

Again, yes. I sometimes do that too.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 12th 14, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/12/2014 1:19 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/12/2014 12:13 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

To each their own and may they enjoy their steed and ride.

Cheers

Indeed:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/hall09b.jpg

Well, I haven't done _that_.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 12th 14, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, July 12, 2014 10:06:04 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
Yo, Franki-boy, we all know that you're terminally insensitive, but here you've outdone yourself. The phrase "But I prefer showing that riding" sets your new record for wilfull unawareness of reality. We also know you're a pompous braggart, as "But I prefer showing that riding" demonstrates by its subtext that you're a paragon worth emulating.

But what interests me is how come you got to be old, and in teaching at that (!), without learning that to be an exemplar worth following, you must first have charisma, at least a little charm, something people can like. There's nothing about you to like, so nothing to emulate, nothing to copy, nothing to follow. "But I prefer showing that riding" is the paradigm of a slackly unobservant idiot indulging in wistful thinking.

Nobody will even notice, Franki-boy, never mind follow your "lead". They just think you're some poor old pensioner too ignorant or too poor to know one rides in Lycra.

I did a relatively short ride today, leaving early to beat the heat (Portland is having a heat wave). There were packs of riders in brilliant clothing, shining in the sun like schools of tropical fish. Closer to home, I got stuck behind a bunch of tog-less Bohemians who were teaching the world the importance of utility cycling. Stay strong comrades!

The togged cyclists around here typically wear team-gear, but not the faux Europro kit. It's usually from some local team. In PDX, bicycle teams are as common as brass bands north of London. Cyclocross racing is a fall social event. http://pacificpedaling.com/tag/cross-crusade/
http://bikeportland.org/2012/10/08/c...lpenrose-78565

We like our togs, and I've got to say that some of the women I passed today were en fuego in lycra.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 12th 14, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/12/2014 3:32 PM, jbeattie wrote:

We like our togs, and I've got to say that some of the women I passed today were en fuego in lycra.

I think everybody likes their sport's special togs. I can't even
conceive of golfing without wearing something like this:
http://heritage-classic-golf.com/ima...on-stewart.jpg

or bowling without an appropriate shirt:
http://mousebreath.com/wp-content/up...rt-600x503.jpg

or riding a horse without one of these outfits:
http://pinsndls.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/cowboys.png

;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 12th 14, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Saturday, July 12, 2014 7:33:49 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/12/2014 10:15 AM, jbeattie wrote:

I also don't require special clothes, but I prefer them when I am riding

for pleasure. I commute in cycling clothes because they are comfortable,
convenient and dry quickly. Plus, I have to commute in something and
change
when I get to work, so why not cycling specific clothes?

FWIW, I have no problem with those preferences.

Noted, and appreciated, Frank!

**** them.
Old July 12th 14, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, July 12, 2014 8:32:26 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Lucky you.

There were packs of riders in brilliant clothing, shining in the sun like schools of tropical fish. Closer to home, I got stuck behind a bunch of tog-less Bohemians who were teaching the world the importance of utility cycling. Stay strong comrades!

The togged cyclists around here typically wear team-gear, but not the faux Europro kit. It's usually from some local team. In PDX, bicycle teams are as common as brass bands north of London. Cyclocross racing is a fall social event. http://pacificpedaling.com/tag/cross-crusade/

http://bikeportland.org/2012/10/08/c...lpenrose-78565

We like our togs, and I've got to say that some of the women I passed today were en fuego in lycra.

-- Jay Beattie.

Your links make me fear for my profession. Don't those people have a house to stay in, a comfortable chair to sit in, a book to read, or at least a television series to watch?

Now women on fire, that's a different matter...

Andre Jute

Cycle Helmets vs Motor Cycle Helmets Bret Cahill[_3_] UK 1 August 21st 12 06:07 PM
Equestrian helmets as bicycle helmets? [email protected][_2_] General 19 December 27th 09 02:56 AM
helmets UpNorthBob Racing 1 July 19th 06 07:59 PM
Helmets week on my new blog, a question regarding helmets and my blog. 101bike Racing 7 March 18th 06 03:14 AM
Helmets helmets helmets and weird heads Tamyka Bell Australia 3 November 30th 04 11:25 AM