x3 best brightest rechargable headlight?

Old January 7th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default x3 best brightest rechargable headlight?

"Trevor Jakes" wrote in message
The Blackburn X3 looks good. I want a rechargeable headlight for my bike.
I need something that's really bright and has a long beam for (guess it's
obvious) riding in the dark. My goggles blur/darken so I need extra
bright. Don't we all I suppose.

I like the X3's ability to keep it's intensity until battery runs out
instead of dimming as the battery weakens. But I can plug a light in every
night so it's not that critical. I' talking about 30-60 minutes of
dark-riding every day. Any other suggestions?

-billb

The DiNotte Ultralight is very bright and very small. It uses a 5w Luxeon
LED. http://www.dinottelighting.com

Mike

Old January 7th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Trevor Jakes wrote:
The Blackburn X3 looks good. I want a rechargeable headlight for my
bike. I need something that's really bright and has a long beam for
(guess it's obvious) riding in the dark. My goggles blur/darken so I
need extra bright. Don't we all I suppose.

I like the X3's ability to keep it's intensity until battery runs out
instead of dimming as the battery weakens. But I can plug a light in
every night so it's not that critical. I' talking about 30-60 minutes of
dark-riding every day. Any other suggestions?

Streamlight Strion plus TwoFish Cycloblock. It'll be much brighter than
the X3, and have a longer beam (beam is adjustable) but the run time is
much shorter, only around 70-80 minutes. Li-Ion rechargeable battery,
which is a lot better than NiMH (see http://batterydata.com).

I use this setup on my folding bicycle. It's an amazing light for being
so small, and the optics are excellent. I like not having to deal with a
separate battery pack, I love the low self-discharge of the Li-Ion
battery, and the duration is sufficient for my commute. Since I can
charge it each night, the duration is not an issue.

See: "http://www.streamlight.com/strion_info.htm" and note the size,
since the picture is often taken out of perspective.

Old January 7th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

How much do you want to spend? I bought a Moonshine HID and a Light n
Motion Arc Lithium and returned the ARC. The Topeak Moonshine is awesome.
Very light in weight also. I went through and researched a bunch of lights
in my price range ($300) and found the Moonshine was the best

Old January 7th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Trevor Jakes wrote:

My goggles blur/darken so I
need extra bright.

snip

Any other suggestions?

Get goggles that don't darken.

Rich
Old January 10th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article N4Ewf.5052$B93.207@fed1read07,
Trevor Jakes writes:
Thanks to all who responded. As with bikes, headlight purchase decisions
seem to become more difficult the more I learn

Hi Trevor,

Here are some resources which you might find useful:

The bikecurrent FAQ:
http://www.burrow.ca/cyclist/bikecurrent-FAQ.html

The bikecurrent email list:
http://lists.topica.com/lists/bikecurrent/?cid=7620

Brian DeSousa's bikecurrent page:
http://briandesousa.com/bicycling/bikecurrent/index.htm

I especially recommend having a look at the bikecurrent FAQ.
There's lots of info on batteries, bulbs, availability, specs, etc.
And links to other sources of information.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Old January 10th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I use a Light & Motion Vega and it's fantastic. Very bright,
easy-to-mount, and rechargeable. I received it as a gift so I'm not
sure what it costs, exactly.

Old January 10th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Tom Keats wrote:

Hi Trevor,

Here are some resources which you might find useful:

The bikecurrent FAQ:
http://www.burrow.ca/cyclist/bikecurrent-FAQ.html

The bikecurrent email list:
http://lists.topica.com/lists/bikecurrent/?cid=7620

Brian DeSousa's bikecurrent page:
http://briandesousa.com/bicycling/bikecurrent/index.htm

Don't forget http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_lighting

- Frank Krygowski

Old January 10th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Trevor Jakes wrote in

The Blackburn X3 looks good. I want a rechargeable headlight for my
bike. I need something that's really bright and has a long beam for
(guess it's obvious) riding in the dark. My goggles blur/darken so I
need extra bright. Don't we all I suppose.

I like the X3's ability to keep it's intensity until battery runs out
instead of dimming as the battery weakens. But I can plug a light in
every night so it's not that critical. I' talking about 30-60 minutes
of dark-riding every day. Any other suggestions?

-billb

You want bright?

How about the Light & Motion Arc Li-Ion Ultra Bike Light?
High Intensity Discharge (HID), Li-Ion battery,6 hours run time and...
only $599.00 from REI.
(http://www.rei.com/product/47964680....HP_CYCLING_TOC)

I am more concerned with being seen by traffic than lighting up the
world.

I use the Cat Eye HL-EL 500 Power Opticube Bike Light when it is dark.
(http://www.rei.com/product/47802470....HP_CYCLING_TOC)

I use the Cat Eye HL-EL200 Headlight, which has a flashing mode, at dusk
or where there are streelights to light my way.
(http://www.rei.com/product/47910123....HP_CYCLING_TOC)

Both these lights are LED lights and run hours and hours on 4 AA
batteries.

Rich