Mountain Biking SBS, 19th Feb.

Old February 19th 06, 09:07 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Mountain Biking SBS, 19th Feb.

Gags Wrote:
"Euan" wrote in message
MikeyOz writes:

Yesterday at Lysterfield I determined that I would throw the bike

over
five percent more, five percent faster and harder than I ordinarily
would and everything just hooked up! Best ride yet and I seriously
caned it through Blair Witch, felt great :-)

Was this on the C'wealth Games course?? I have been thinking of
heading out
that way for a ride someday on the new dually with a mate of mine who
has
just scored a Cannondale Scalpel that is fully specced in XTR gear.

If it is the C'wealth Games course, do you have any idea of when they
are
locking it down for the games??

Gags

nah I think it was up at Thredbo, I remember seeing some Threbdo stuff
on a banner in the background. The C'games track is pretty awesome,
even I had a good time on it, did not ride as fast as the guys I was
with, still a lot of fun, the burns were really good fun and I must
admit the bridges section is pretty awesome, there is really only 1
shortish "technical" section on it, which the guy leading us "stacked
magnificently" on... no camera

dont know about the course.. imagine it would be close to be closed off
soon ??

--
MikeyOz

Old February 19th 06, 09:07 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Skewer Wrote:
Wow.
Finally a sport that makes Base jumping look sane by comparison.

Trevor_S wrote:
MikeyOz wrote in
:

snip

my bike would be fine compared to the carnage inflicted on my body.

Carnage you say ? (Broandband needed, 41MB)

http://www.kmtb.com/bbs/data/kmtb_vi...crash_e_at.wmv

Downhill and 4X riders are a sub species of their own, no doubt about

it.
I look at the downhill tracks where I ride XC with incredulity every

time I
ride past 'em. I also have a degree of respect for their ability (I

am way
to old for that ****). I have broken and damaged body parts on XC

and the
bike takes a hammering (rear hub farked on mine yesterday, bottom

brackets,
chain rings, derauilers, cracked rims, exploding tyres, snapped

multiple
chains.... tis hard on gear and that's only social XC )

I recorded it but have not watch it. They had excerpts on Cycling

Central
over the last few weeks.

That is just absoluetely crazy.... the guy that bounced before and
then over the edge of the cliff ?????!?

--
MikeyOz

Old February 19th 06, 09:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Parbs wrote:

Euan wrote:

Cyclocross is a different kettle of fish although I have ridden a
cyclocross bike on a Mountain cross course.

For cyclocross you need some real nutters on bikes that look like road
bikes with canti brakes, lots of mud or even better snow, throw in some
stairs or other obstacles for them to carry bikes over. Make them ride
multiple laps on the same course to make the mud even worse.

Parbs - who secretly wants a cross bike

There is a cool 'cross dvd out at the mo, "Pure Sweet Hell"
I know that BSC in melb have it, got mine there!

and there's quite a bit of 29er's out there, try Shifterbikes or BSC

Karate Monkeys, il Pompinos, Gunnars, Kona and some others

Is there any interest in riding a 'cross course, if one could be found?

Old February 19th 06, 10:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"Euan" wrote in message
MikeyOz writes:

did anybody see the Mountain biking on SBS today.... they dont disengage
their brains, they just dont have one to start with, I think its always
great when Im sat down watching something like that thinking, that 15
year old girl, would absoluetely WAMP my ass! at mountain biking! dem
is crazy persons.

It looks that way from a roadie, bitumen, non-mtb perspective and I'm
having a real hard job unlearning that attitude.

hehe - mtbers tend to think that roadies ride like wimps. Not that they are
wimps, but when you're in a mtb race it's easy to pick the roadies - go like
the clappers uphills and when the track's smoother, but slow and nervous
when the going gets fast downhill or technical.

It's just what you're used to. If you can retain roadie strength and speed
uphills, and pick up some mtb downhill/technical abilities, both your road
and mtb abilities will be the better for it. Cross training is good!

The reason I think is that MTBs have so much more grip than road bikes;
what seems like an insane speed for a corner in loose conditions really
isn't, the tires on these things are amazing if you learn to trust them.

Plus it can be fun to be in a deliberate two wheel drift!

Tony F
fast downhill, slower than a snail on a wet weekend uphill

Old February 20th 06, 03:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Euan wrote:

Yesterday at Lysterfield I determined that I would throw the bike over
five percent more, five percent faster and harder than I ordinarily
would and everything just hooked up!

I was at Lysterfield yesterday, too, throwing my wheels around the
tracks in the park - in a 13 tonne four wheel drive fire truck :-) I
don't suppose you were one of the mtb'ers we were trying to avoid
accidentally flattening? *g*

By the way, the mtb course looks lots of fun!

Pete
Old February 20th 06, 03:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:34:53 +1100
Pete wrote:
I was at Lysterfield yesterday, too, throwing my wheels around the
tracks in the park - in a 13 tonne four wheel drive fire truck :-) I
don't suppose you were one of the mtb'ers we were trying to avoid
accidentally flattening? *g*

Always better to deliberately flatten them - that way you hit them at the
right angle and have less chance of the bike getting stuck in your axle.

Zebee
Old February 20th 06, 07:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Gags" gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au writes:

"Euan" wrote in message
MikeyOz writes:

Yesterday at Lysterfield I determined that I would throw the bike over
five percent more, five percent faster and harder than I ordinarily
would and everything just hooked up! Best ride yet and I seriously
caned it through Blair Witch, felt great :-)

Was this on the C'wealth Games course?? I have been thinking of heading out
that way for a ride someday on the new dually with a mate of mine who has
just scored a Cannondale Scalpel that is fully specced in XTR gear.

We warmed up with a lap of the CWG course. In my not so educated
opinion I don't think the CWG course is that technical. There are
sections that reward technique over speed and some of the faster
sections would reward people who know how to drift through the loose
stuff but I would say it's more of a physical course. Either that or
I'm a lot unfitter than I thought I was which is entirely possible.

I find the single track much more fun :-)

If it is the C'wealth Games course, do you have any idea of when they are
locking it down for the games??

No idea.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old February 20th 06, 07:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"tony f" writes:

"Euan" wrote in message
It looks that way from a roadie, bitumen, non-mtb perspective and I'm
having a real hard job unlearning that attitude.

hehe - mtbers tend to think that roadies ride like wimps. Not that they are
wimps, but when you're in a mtb race it's easy to pick the roadies - go like
the clappers uphills and when the track's smoother, but slow and nervous
when the going gets fast downhill or technical.

It's just what you're used to. If you can retain roadie strength and speed
uphills, and pick up some mtb downhill/technical abilities, both your road
and mtb abilities will be the better for it. Cross training is good!

I've been finding that except I rarely go up hills so I'm not that great
on the hills. That said I do know how to spin, my cardio tends to get
more of a workout than my muscles. I probably should change that.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old February 20th 06, 07:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Pete writes:

Euan wrote:

Yesterday at Lysterfield I determined that I would throw the bike over
five percent more, five percent faster and harder than I ordinarily
would and everything just hooked up!

I was at Lysterfield yesterday, too, throwing my wheels around the
tracks in the park - in a 13 tonne four wheel drive fire truck :-) I
don't suppose you were one of the mtb'ers we were trying to avoid
accidentally flattening? *g*

Nope, didn't see you. Nearly saw an ignorant woman get flattened by a
horse 'cause she rode too close to it, that was about it.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old February 20th 06, 11:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle

MikeyOz wrote:

might do some research, be interested to find out if these are Pro
guys of some sort or people Red Bull found, by hanging around outside a
bmx track and said, "Hey want to be on TV and earn a few bucks ?", "yeah
sure ok... will there be chicks there ????"

I doubt that, the producer is pretty tight & SBS are even tighter
The bit about "hey want to be on TV" and "Will there be chicks there?"
is probably true.

With Mt biking (in Oz at least) pretty much anyone can rock up & race.

Parbs