Question about MTB back wheel

Old May 27th 08, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

Default Question about MTB back wheel

On May 27, 9:21 pm, killermike wrote:
Question. I have a 1993 no suspension mountain bike with a ruined rear
axle. The six speed gears are of the freewheel type. If I buy a complete
rear wheel that is 6 speed cassette type, is it likely to fit in as a
replacement for the broken rear wheel?

I think the wheel will fit in the frame okay - the track on MTBs are
usually 135mm which won't be effected by whether or not it's a
cassette or a freewheel.

You might have more of a problem finding a 6-spd cassette these days -
if you can't I don't know how well your rear mech and gear shifters
will adapt to a 7spd - quite easy if they have a friction setting -
more difficult (if at all?) if they don't. If you do have to upgrade
you could get an entry level 9-spd and future-proof yourself for a
bit.

Regards,

Duncan

Old May 27th 08, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
killermike[_6_]

--
http://www.unmusic.co.uk Michael Reed -- technology, gender, and geek
culture freelance writer
Old May 27th 08, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
killermike[_5_]

I think the wheel will fit in the frame okay - the track on MTBs are
usually 135mm which won't be effected by whether or not it's a
cassette or a freewheel.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

You might have more of a problem finding a 6-spd cassette these days -

I've got a chance of getting someone else's spare old complete rear
wheel including rear cogs. It should be a cheap way of getting that bike
back on the road. Thanks again.

Old May 28th 08, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Duncan Smith wrote:
On May 27, 9:21 pm, killermike wrote:
Question. I have a 1993 no suspension mountain bike with a ruined
rear axle. The six speed gears are of the freewheel type. If I buy a
complete rear wheel that is 6 speed cassette type, is it likely to
fit in as a replacement for the broken rear wheel?

I think the wheel will fit in the frame okay - the track on MTBs are
usually 135mm which won't be effected by whether or not it's a
cassette or a freewheel.

Older MTBs can be narrower than 135mm. I don't know what year 135mm came
in.

See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

~PB

Old May 28th 08, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ben C

On 2008-05-27, Duncan Smith wrote:
On May 27, 9:21 pm, killermike wrote:
Question. I have a 1993 no suspension mountain bike with a ruined rear
axle. The six speed gears are of the freewheel type. If I buy a complete
rear wheel that is 6 speed cassette type, is it likely to fit in as a
replacement for the broken rear wheel?

I think the wheel will fit in the frame okay - the track on MTBs are
usually 135mm which won't be effected by whether or not it's a
cassette or a freewheel.

You might have more of a problem finding a 6-spd cassette these days -
if you can't I don't know how well your rear mech and gear shifters
will adapt to a 7spd - quite easy if they have a friction setting -
more difficult (if at all?) if they don't.

Been there, done that...

I put a 7-speed cassette on an 8-speed wheel (you can get a spacer for
this purpose since the 7-speed cassette is a bit narrower). The wheel
fits in the frame all right.

The 6-speed shifters worked OK for 3 or 4 gears in the middle.

Then eventually I got around to figuring out I could put 8-speed
shifters on (the 6-speed one was sort of part of the brake lever
assembly, but I just sawed it off and got a nice little "XT" shifter
that just fitted).

8-speed shifter on a 7-speed cassette worked slightly better than the
6-speed shifter but not perfectly. Fed up with all this nonsense I got
myself a nice 8-speed cassette, so now it all works properly again.

If you do have to upgrade you could get an entry level 9-spd and
future-proof yourself for a bit.

Probably a good idea.
Old May 28th 08, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_3_]

Duncan Smith said the following on 27/05/2008 21:04:

I think the wheel will fit in the frame okay - the track on MTBs are
usually 135mm which won't be effected by whether or not it's a
cassette or a freewheel.

I'm pretty sure that a 1993 bike will need a shorter axle.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old May 28th 08, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 28 May 2008 10:08:51 +0100
Paul Boyd wrote:

Duncan Smith said the following on 27/05/2008 21:04:

I think the wheel will fit in the frame okay - the track on MTBs are
usually 135mm which won't be effected by whether or not it's a
cassette or a freewheel.

I'm pretty sure that a 1993 bike will need a shorter axle.

I'm pretty sure most mid-range and better bikes had switched to 135mm
by then. It's not hard to convert most 135mm OLN wheels to
130mm anyway - just remove a spacer, grind off the excess axle and
re-dish slightly.

Old May 28th 08, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Señor Chris

Paul Boyd wrote:
Duncan Smith said the following on 27/05/2008 21:04:

I think the wheel will fit in the frame okay - the track on MTBs are
usually 135mm which won't be effected by whether or not it's a
cassette or a freewheel.

I'm pretty sure that a 1993 bike will need a shorter axle.

My 1993 Marin is 135mm.
Old May 28th 08, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Boyd wrote:
Duncan Smith said the following on 27/05/2008 21:04:

I think the wheel will fit in the frame okay - the track on MTBs are
usually 135mm which won't be effected by whether or not it's a
cassette or a freewheel.

I'm pretty sure that a 1993 bike will need a shorter axle.

I'm pretty sure most mid-range and better bikes had switched to 135mm
by then. *

I had a decent 1991 MTB which was 130mm.

It's not hard to convert most 135mm OLN wheels to
130mm anyway - just remove a spacer, grind off the excess axle and
re-dish slightly.

or much more simply, spring the frame apart each time you put the
wheel in. Not difficult when you only need 5mm extra. I did this for a
while when I needed a new wheel and got 135mm.

Rob
Old May 28th 08, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
killermike[_6_]

killermike wrote:
Question. I have a 1993 no suspension mountain bike with a ruined rear
axle. The six speed gears are of the freewheel type. If I buy a complete
rear wheel that is 6 speed cassette type, is it likely to fit in as a
replacement for the broken rear wheel?

Doh! All moot now anyway. I was about to win it for 99p+9.99 postage

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=019

but someone else grabbed it three minutes before auction finish. Ebay
really should do something about sniping, IMO. The old Yahoo auction had
a system whereby the auction was extended by half an hour when someone
bid within the last half an hour (or something like that). At least the
seller got an extra tenner out of it.

Having said all that, I always say that the best way to use Ebay is to
set your price and stick with it.