MTB Frame size for XC Singletrack?

Old July 15th 08, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

Default MTB Frame size for XC Singletrack?

Quick heads up - after some 1-2-1 tuition I'm considering replacing
the frame of a Specialized Rockhopper 2007 for a Cove Stiffee on the
grounds that the more relaxed head angle may be more steady and get
the weight back giving a little more time to assess obstacles before
committing (I'm told).

So for a 6" rider (with slightly shorter legs than normal) should I go
for the 17.5" or the 19.5"?

My existing frame is 19" which is good for long rides/climbing but not
so good for chucking around twisty tracks (at least not by me
anyway...)

Many thanks,

Duncan
Old July 15th 08, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marz

On Jul 15, 10:32*am, Duncan Smith wrote:
Quick heads up - after some 1-2-1 tuition I'm considering replacing
the frame of a Specialized Rockhopper 2007 for a Cove Stiffee on the
grounds that the more relaxed head angle may be more steady and get
the weight back giving a little more time to assess obstacles before
committing (I'm told).

So for a 6" rider (with slightly shorter legs than normal) should I go
for the 17.5" or the 19.5"?

My existing frame is 19" which is good for long rides/climbing but not
so good for chucking around twisty tracks (at least not by me
anyway...)

Many thanks,

Duncan

I'm 6'4" and ride a 19" frame for its chuckabilty, which means a lot
of exposed seatpost and 100mm stem. This has worked for me on the
Cannondale's and GT's I've owned, but I've not ridden a Cove and so I
don't know how their frames measure up.

Look at the top tube length between your 19" Specialized and the Cove
17.5" and if they're pretty close I'd go for the 17.5". If you end up
with the 19" and find it too stretched out you can always switch out
the stem for a 40 or 50mm.

Laters,

Marz

Frame sizing question: Go a size up or a size down? kwalters Techniques 32 December 11th 06 12:41 AM
Frame size Brendan Webb Australia 10 February 25th 06 10:08 AM
threadless fork size: one size smaller for frame size [email protected] Techniques 2 February 24th 06 03:49 AM
Frame Size peter.kidwell Techniques 2 November 9th 04 09:38 PM
What size is my frame? aeek Australia 0 September 24th 04 11:30 AM