Weights of my bikes

Old May 19th 21, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Default Weights of my bikes

Op woensdag 19 mei 2021 om 22:03:25 UTC+2 schreef :
On Tue, 18 May 2021 22:36:39 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
wrote:

Jeff to clear things up my dryer is a Siemens WTXL722NL05 not
a Miele (that is my washer)

My apologies. I again made a bad assumption. I saw the Miele name on
the washer and assumed that dryer was the same brand. Except for
specific references to the Miele TWI 180, such as the specification
sheet and location of the motor start capacitor, my remaining comments
also apply to the Siemens WTXL 722 NL05 dryer.

User manual in German. No schematic or wiring diagram:
https://preview.u-manual.com/preview-manual-for-free-174450/clothes-dryer-siemens-wtxl-722/page-1.html
I couldn't find a data sheet or any info on a US version. As you
mentioned elsewhere, it runs on 230VAC 50Hz.
and a circuit breaker in my electrical system blew not a fuse
in the the dryer.

Thanks for the clarification. That wasn't clear in your posting:
"My fuse blew even after I had turned off the dryer (power plug still
plugged in)."
I just reset that one after unplugging the dryer. As for the
heater they are known for failing after some times. This dryer
is about 10 year old. Sorry for the misunderstanding because
of my bad English.

Your English is quite good. A few minor errors in terminology are
easily corrected after asking a few questions. No need to apologize.
Best of luck on the repair.

Technical terms are the problem. Spare parts came in and I put them in this evening. Plugged power plug in, no disaster. Had no wash to dry, but so far so good.

Lou
Old May 19th 21, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/19/2021 5:17 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 1:55:25 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I don't have a washer or dryer at home. I use one of the local
laundromats. Two wash and dry loads usually end up costing me about
$15US for everything. 5 visits per year costs me $75/year. A
tolerable washer and dry would cost me about $2,000. At $75/year, it
would take me 27 years to break even (ignoring maintenance costs). The
laundromats aren't very convenient, but they are relatively cheap.

You can get a decent used washer/dryer pretty cheaply on Craigslist. I felt liberated after buying my first washer and dryer. I didn't have to sit around at a laundromat or run up and down stairs in an apartment complex to make sure nobody stole my boxers. My current washing machine is a 80s Maytag I inherited from great aunt, may she rest in peace. It still works great.

My advice is to treat it with love and care. Our washer and dryer are of
a similar age and extremely reliable, but a friend has a much newer one
that's caused her lots of grief. The fancy collection of programs,
integrated circuits and sensors occasionally decided it was unsafe to
let her wash her clothes. It cost her a small fortune and considerable
time to have someone convince it otherwise.

Not surprisingly, I prefer stuff with electromechanical controls that I
could diagnose and fix myself - or bypass if necessary.

Anecdote: On our first trip to mainland Europe, we lucked into a rather
luxurious B&B in Krakow. After a few days there and before setting off
to roam around, I decided it was wise to use the clothes washer. It was
very high tech, with all sorts of incomprehensible icons, but with some
trial and error I got it going and we left for dinner.

We returned to find the wash apparently done; but I couldn't convince
the machine to give them back! The door was as good as welded shut.
Nothing I did would unlatch it.

In desperation, I pushed the buttons I had used to begin the wash cycle,
and begin it did. Our clothes got another washing, rinsing and spinning
(but with no soap this time); then the machine let us open the door.

If that particular poltergeist hadn't finally decided to cooperate, we'd
probably have had to buy new wardrobes.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 19th 21, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 19 May 2021 13:29:02 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 12:32:38 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/19/2021 12:40 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 6:47:11 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/18/2021 7:32 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 11:15:53 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/18/2021 11:16 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
We don't get actual fatigue failures unless a material is stressed to 90% or so of its maximum strength repeatedly.

Frank, you're the one that made the citation. But without a single thing to back it up you were implying failure was imminent. You grow more comical with time. What seems to other you, Jay and the others in your gang of four is that I can afford to do these things.

Ummm... Tom. It would appear that you, not Frank, stated:

"We don't get actual fatigue failures unless a material is stressed to
90% or so of its maximum strength repeatedly."

Please try to remember what you said and wrote. If you can't handle
that, please re-read your own comments to help jog your memory.

This might also help:
https://scholarsmine.mst.edu/matsci_eng_facwork/1399/
"A simple rule of thumb calculation for the fatigue limit is one-half
of the ultimate tensile strength."

Please provide a material where the fatigue limit is 90% of its
ultimate tensile strength, or post a retraction.

Drivel: What bothers me is why Tom has such a high error rate. In
order to be wrong over 90% of the time, one has to intentionally
contrive wrong answers. Random ignorance would produce a
substantially lower error rate. So, what makes being consistently
wrong so important to Tom that he does it so regularly, consistently,
and possibly intentionally? My guess(tm) is that Tom wants attention
and being wrong provides him with an audience willing to assist by
offering corrections. If Tom's answers were routinely correct, he
would receive very few replies from readers of R.B.T. Most readers
would think "yeah, that's right" and move on. However, if he writes
things that are totally wrong, readers feel obligated to provide
corrections. That's the way to draw a crowd and it works. That also
explains why Tom replies to every new thread, even his own threads,
without fail.

"Narcissistic personality disorder"
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20366662
See the list of symptoms. I think I've seen almost all of them. Do
these sound familiar?
- Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance.
- Exaggerate achievements and talents.
- Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance...
- Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally
special people.
- Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they
perceive as inferior.
- Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited,
boastful and pretentious.
- Insist on having the best of everything...

Tom, get help.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old May 19th 21, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 19 May 2021 14:17:24 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 1:55:25 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2021 17:18:06 +1000, James
wrote:
Our dryer looks remarkably less complicated.
https://www.hillshome.com.au/our-pro...t-clothesline/

At first glance, I thought that was a ham radio antenna:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cobweb+antenna&tbm=isch

I don't have a washer or dryer at home. I use one of the local
laundromats. Two wash and dry loads usually end up costing me about
$15US for everything. 5 visits per year costs me $75/year. A
tolerable washer and dry would cost me about $2,000. At $75/year, it
would take me 27 years to break even (ignoring maintenance costs). The
laundromats aren't very convenient, but they are relatively cheap.

5 visits a year? Yikes. Note that "changing" your underwear does
not include minor modifications like turning them inside-out or
wearing them backwards.

Yes, five baptisms of the laundry per year is about typical. I have a
fair amount of clothes. More than most people. For example, this was
the jeans pile AFTER I donated about 25 pairs to the local thrift
shop:
http://www.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/jeans.jpg
and the shoe pile before I deposited about half of those shown at the
dump:
http://www.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/shoes.jpg
Imelda Marcos did it better. If you don't mind, I would rather not
get into why I have so much clothes, how I obtained so much, my
underwear inventory, etc. I think it sufficient to say that I don't
have any sanitary issues.

You can get a decent used washer/dryer pretty cheaply on Craigslist.

Even if it were free, I do not have the room for a full size washer
and dryer. It would need to live outside, or under some kind of
temporary cover. I could build a gray water system, but dumping the
waste water into the septic tank will probably kill the leach field.

I felt liberated after buying my first washer and dryer. I didn't
have to sit around at a laundromat or run up and down stairs in
an apartment complex to make sure nobody stole my boxers.

Yes, that would be a benefit. However, I don't just sit around the
laundromat. I usually find something useful to do. Mostly, I
un-trash my car and catch up on my reading. The time is not wasted.

My current washing machine is a 80s Maytag I inherited from great
aunt, may she rest in peace. It still works great.

In the 1980's, Maytag made great appliances. However, quality began
to deteriorate starting in the 1990's culminating with the fire prone
Neptune washing machine. Under Whirlpool after 2006, Maytag became
just another brand. Keep the old Maytag running for as long as
possible. If I ever buy a washer and dryer (unlikely), it will
probably be something quite old and repairable.

Incidentally, I obtained most of my washer and dryer experience at my
father's apartment building. Commercial washing machines are much
better than the home variety. I also owned two rentals with the
usually assortment of appliances.

Old May 19th 21, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
Our dryer looks remarkably less complicated.
https://www.hillshome.com.au/our-pro...t-clothesline/

At first glance, I thought that was a ham radio antenna:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cobweb+antenna&tbm=isch

I don't have a washer or dryer at home. I use one of the local
laundromats. Two wash and dry loads usually end up costing me about
$15US for everything. 5 visits per year costs me $75/year. A
tolerable washer and dry would cost me about $2,000. At $75/year, it
would take me 27 years to break even (ignoring maintenance costs). The
laundromats aren't very convenient, but they are relatively cheap.

Five visits a year and 2 loads per visit?????? Never understood the concept of a laundromat. Sitting there waiting the wash/dry to finish.....We have no laundromats here. Everyone has a washer and most of them also a dryer.

Lou

No one's wrong about taste. For a major laundry experience
such as all the clothing[1] plus linens etc I fill more than
one machine, read my paper or run an errand and the whole
process (wash-dry-fold) takes under an hour.

[1] like, I assume, Mr Lieberman, I do laundry when I'm
wearing the 'last clean shirt' which happens to be the title
of a great 1940s blues.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 19th 21, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I agree. Tom certainly needs help.

However, I think there's more going on than narcissism. Aside from
incorrectness, the most dominant feature of Tom's posts is anger.
Narcissists don't have to be angry, but Tom exhibits near-constant anger.

Whoever does attempt to help him needs to take that into account.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 20th 21, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

Our dryer looks remarkably less complicated.
https://www.hillshome.com.au/our-pro...t-clothesline/

At first glance, I thought that was a ham radio antenna:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cobweb+antenna&tbm=isch

I don't have a washer or dryer at home. I use one of the local
laundromats. Two wash and dry loads usually end up costing me about
$15US for everything. 5 visits per year costs me $75/year. A
tolerable washer and dry would cost me about $2,000. At $75/year, it
would take me 27 years to break even (ignoring maintenance costs). The
laundromats aren't very convenient, but they are relatively cheap.

During the winter, it's really a awkward dragging the laundry to the
laundromat in the rain. When I run out of something, I hand wash the
clothes in the kitchen sink, let it drip-dry a little in the bathroom,
and then hang it near the wood burning stove:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/home/wood-burner.jpg

In the distant past, I owned an electric cement mixer. One day, I had
the bright idea of using it to simulate a washing machine. I crammed
a 33 gallon plastic trash can into the mixer and added water, clothes
and detergent. The lid was held on with bungee cords. It was a bit
messy (no spin dry cycle), but worked well enough. For drying, I used
two retractable reels of vinyl covered wire rope. Someone "borrowed"
my cement mixer, which ended the home laundry experience.

5 laundrymat trips per year? One every 73 days... Do you notice how
quickly people standing down wind of you will move to the up wind
side?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 20th 21, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 19 May 2021 10:57:48 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/19/2021 10:11 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Why do you just make this sh** up? It's not cute. Neither I nor Frank nor anyone has said that other materials do not fail as often or more often that Ti. I've broken four or more steel frames, five or more aluminum. It is likely that had I owned Ti, I would have broken it. I broke a Ti chain (stupid purchase) and Ti pedal spindles (also a stupid purchase), but that was back in the '70s when Ti was pretty sketchy and was expected to break.

Wow, you're really hard on your frames. Have you considered counseling?

Never mind the broken bicycle problem he also has metal - probably
titanium - body parts :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 20th 21, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

wrote:

I don't have a washer or dryer at home. I use one of the local
laundromats. Two wash and dry loads usually end up costing me about
$15US for everything. 5 visits per year costs me $75/year. A
tolerable washer and dry would cost me about $2,000. At $75/year, it
would take me 27 years to break even (ignoring maintenance costs). The
laundromats aren't very convenient, but they are relatively cheap.

You can get a decent used washer/dryer pretty cheaply on Craigslist.
I felt liberated after buying my first washer and dryer.Â* I didn't
have to sit around at a laundromat or run up and down stairs in an
apartment complex to make sure nobody stole my boxers.Â* My current
washing machine is a 80s Maytag I inherited from great aunt, may she
rest in peace.Â* It still works great.

[...]

I understand the urge to hold on to old stuff that's simple to repair.
I did the same with our whirlpool, but after ~25 years it developed a
problem I couldn't fix; IIRC it was leaking among other things.

I was delighted, though, with our subsequent LG front-loader. It needs
less hot water, it spins a *lot* faster, making the spun clothes *much*
dryer, which greatly reduces the time/energy cost of the drying cycle.
Polyester bike clothes come out almost dry. You really gotta get its
feet adjusted carefully, though, or the vibrations will shake the house.

It's been several years, so I can't remember exactly, but I tried to
count its revolutions per second on spin. Didn't succeed exactly (too
fast), but was able to estimate close enough to calculate some absurd
number of "g's" being generated.

A few years later the old dryer died (bad bearings, belt, and heater
coil. The matching LG dryer was much cheaper than the washer (as you'd
expect), and it chimes a happy tune at cycle end - we busted out laughing.

Mark J.

Anyone do weights? Kaiser Sose UK 8 January 11th 07 11:19 AM
Uni Weights... irvinegr Unicycling 13 January 20th 06 12:15 PM
hub weights nickjb Unicycling 5 July 20th 04 11:10 PM
Difference in weights. Simon Mason UK 37 June 7th 04 09:10 AM
Hub and Cranks weights... pluto Unicycling 11 April 15th 04 08:05 PM