UCI Track Racing Bikes

Old June 3rd 04, 12:17 PM
Geoff

Default UCI Track Racing Bikes

"hippy" wrote in message
.. .

What's your best flying 200 time Geoff? I need a lackie to follow me to
the track and time runs..

hippy

I don't have any training times to share mostly due to the fact that sprint
training consisted mostly of motorpaced flying 500s and one on one 200m drag
races. If times were recorded for the final 200m I never knew about them.

In competition my fastest times a
- Outdoors: 13.78 at the 2004 Vic Metro Championships. held at Brunswick
- Indoors: 13.192 at the 2004 Australian Masters Track Championships at
Dunk Gray in NSW.

I wasn't overly impressed with my time at Dunk Gray but that might have had
something to do with the Individual Pursuit that I rode earlier that same
day. Next season I expect to be able to better these times by at least a
second. I'm already in training for next years track season focusing
specifically on the 3000m Individual Pursuit. From this training I should
also have an improvement in the level of my speed and endurance which
should be useful in the handicap and scratch events as well.

If you want to see some serious times for the flying 200m at the Australian
Masters Track Championships check out
http://www.cyclingnews.com/track/?id.../ausmasters042
There were some really serious people on some equally serious machinery at
this event.

Geoff

Old June 3rd 04, 04:45 PM
hippy

Originally posted by Kingsle
Okay, I concede, I'm going to my room now to play with my dolls..
(lets see the innuendo appear now )

Are they presta or schraeder ?

Actually, I have a substantial collection of both.. as well as a variet
of lubricants... and some chains and a (chain) whip.

hipp

-

Old June 3rd 04, 04:45 PM
hippy

Originally posted by Drs We've got Men's and Women's, Junior's, Ope
and Master's. We've got categories for arses coming out our... yo
know! Don't be afraid to get your entry in!

Do you accept proxy entries? Whilst not submitting an image o
"Gargantua" itself, I have found the trail of destruction it has lef
behind. See here
http://server103.penguinhost.net/~sb...ng/FatButtComp

hippy ;-

P.S. It wasn't 'really' my fat arse that did that.. it was a crash a
SSWC03... or was it the crash while riding Warrandyte? Actually, i
might've been that commute-dispute[1] with the dark blue ute...

[1] hippy bags the copyright on this term.. commute-dispute: incident o
bike vs. car on the way to/from work. Car will typically be
Falcodore or a tradie's ute, driver will typically be in the wron
but claim cyclist shouldn't be on the road anyway..

-

Old June 3rd 04, 04:51 PM
DRS

"hippy" wrote in message

Originally posted by Drs We've got Men's and Women's, Junior's, Open
and Master's. We've got categories for arses coming out our... you
know! Don't be afraid to get your entry in!*

Do you accept proxy entries? Whilst not submitting an image of
"Gargantua" itself, I have found the trail of destruction it has left
behind. See he
http://server103.penguinhost.net/~sb...g/FatButtComp/

Sorry, we've got to see the actual bum. How do we know you didn't cheat and
lend your bike to Fat Albert? Hmmm?

--

A: Top-posters.

Old June 4th 04, 10:15 AM
Gemma Kernich

"hippy" wrote in message
. ..
Originally posted by Gemma Kernich I've already had reconstructive knee
surgury, not intending to do it again in a hurry. See pics 186 to 188
for photos of both the exterior and interior* of my knee!

http://factotem.org/library/Photo-
Album.shtml *some people may find these pics disturbing.

Holy shimering oasis!! There's a board for knee reco's!! LMAO! Maybe I
shouldn't be laughing, but is there ANYTHING that wont appear on the
internet?!

Okay, I concede, I'm going to my room now to play with my dolls... (lets
see the innuendo appear now ).

Can I ask how you managed that?

basketball, nothing to do with riding at all.
kersnap *oooooowwwccch!* *do'h* and then a two-year nightmare!
Gemma

Old June 4th 04, 10:22 AM
Gemma Kernich

"Geoff" wrote in message

Never, despite what some people say, ride without a lockring on the

track.
I think it was in a heat of the Austral, the guy on the mark 10m in front
of me, for some unknown reason, decided he needed to backpedal to avoid

the
guy in front of him. He unwinds his cog and nearly takes me out as I go
around the outside of him just as he looks like he is about to hit the

deck.
My race was basically over at this point because I now had no hope of
getting onto the bunch ahead of me due to the loss of momentum incurred.
I'm not sure what happened to the guy in front of me. From what I

hear
from others he may have copped a fine.

I saw a similar thing where a kid was coming down the ramp into the pits and
the gear unwound. RIght at the bottom of the ramp is a wall......
Have heard other stories where it can unwind then lock the chain against the
frame, causing damage and almost instant rear wheel lock-up..... Nasty!

Me too, I have the hubs on my training wheels. Do you use the splined

cog
and carrier setup? I also have the cranks. The only negative point on

the
cranks is that the chainring bolts attach directly to the spider. This I
have found this to cause excessive load to be placed on the heads of the
bolts (when compared to the normal setup) and the eventual result of this

is
the bolt head parts company from the rest of the bolt. This usually
happens when doing standing starts with a 98.4" gear. Thankfully, thus
far, no more than one has done this at any one time. I would not like to

see
what happened if two adjacent bolts broke, (Do these chainrings bend? I

hope
not!!).

I use the carrier which would be good if I had all the miche cogs but I also
use some duraace and superbe pro cogs too which then necessitate removal of
the carrier. The whole system is pretty good for quick gear-changes, which
is why I like not having to fiddle around with the back of the spider.
Hadn't head of the heads of the bolts failing... I wonder what happens if
the threads fail on the spider? I suppose it would still be possible to
machine a recess for a conventional bolt.

This idea I like. Currently I'm using the Dura-Ace Lockring/Chain Whip
combo tool which I would still need for my campag lockrings. But for
training where there are a lot of gear changes I can see this BB tool will
prolong the life of my miche lockring.

The shimano BB tool fits like a dream, there's no way you could mangle the
lockring that way....

When it comes time to replace your Miche wheelnuts you can also use the
cheaper than Shimano, but better than Miche, Suzue ones. Be warned, you
need to get the correct type of Suzue nut to fit the Miche axle.

Different
model Suzue hubs use different axle threads.

yup, www.businesscycles.com has a fantastic resource with all the threads,
bolt patterns, BB lengths and tapers etc etc. All things track.

The only thing I don't like about the miche groupset is the bottom bracket.
I have trouble keeping it done up, which is a big worry.

Cheers
Gemma

Old June 4th 04, 12:49 PM
Geoff

"Gemma Kernich" wrote in message

I wonder what happens if the threads fail on the spider? I suppose it

would still be possible to
machine a recess for a conventional bolt.

The possibility of this event has crossed my mind as well. Hopefully
inserting a helicoil would fix it. I'm even thinking of helicoiling all the
bolt holes on the spider prior to next season just to see how it goes. If
it's looks like it's a winner I'll then maybe do my pursuit cranks as well.
It's a possibility these threads are already helicoils. I haven't looked
too closely at this. I might give the distributor, Paul Hillbrick, a call
sometime to see if he knows anything about the strength of these threads.

yup, www.businesscycles.com has a fantastic resource with all the threads,
bolt patterns, BB lengths and tapers etc etc. All things track.

I know that site well.

The only thing I don't like about the miche groupset is the bottom

bracket.
I have trouble keeping it done up, which is a big worry.

Not good. I've heard of a case involving problems with tightness in their
Miche BB's but to date mine has been fine. Have you tried anything along
the lines of applying the appropriate Wurth, Loctite or similar to the
threads to stop it from unwinding?

Geoff

Old June 4th 04, 01:30 PM
hippy

Originally posted by Gemma Kernich basketball, nothing to do wit
riding at all. kersnap *oooooowwwccch!* *do'h* and then a two-yea
nightmare

2 years of healing?? I sook when I'm off the bike for a month (week
day, etc :P)

Glad I quit basketball with bones intact..

hipp

-

Old June 4th 04, 01:39 PM
hippy

Originally posted by Gemma Kernich I saw a similar thing where a ki
was coming down the ramp into the pits and the gear unwound. RIght a
the bottom of the ramp is a wall...... Have heard other stories wher
it can unwind then lock the chain against the frame, causing damage an
almost instant rear wheel lock-up..... Nasty

Well, I've got my Miche groupset now and it does indeed have a lockring
so no issue there. It sounds like dropping a chain or unwinding
lockring are non-fun activities.. if I stay off the fence long enough
I'll try to avoid either happening. ;

The only thing I don't like about the miche groupset is the botto
bracket. I have trouble keeping it done up, which is a big worry

Tried some kind of thread locker? Greased it? (You'd know better than m
- maybe it's just a dodgy one?

Looking at this Miche stuff, it's almost too good to install :

What kind of training are you trackies doing in the off season? Ridin
the track when it's dry? Road interval stuff, ergo training

hipp

-

Old June 4th 04, 03:25 PM
Geoff

"hippy" wrote in message
.. .

What kind of training are you trackies doing in the off season? Riding
the track when it's dry? Road interval stuff, ergo training?

hippy

As soon as racing finished in Sydney at the Masters Champs the bars, chain,
wheels, pedals and chainrings came of the track bike. The bike was placed
in it's bag with the both sets of wheels and it hasn't seen the light of day
since. It's gone into hibernation for the winter.

As for training it's still all systems go.
Training at the moment is made up of two hard ergo sessions per week, two
recovery rides which are simply an easy ride to work and back (58kms return)
which, if its raining in the morning (and when I say raining I don't mean
mere showers), becomes a 1hr evening ergo session. I have no problem riding
home in the rain, I just hate the trip to work. Friday is rest day. The
weekend is usually a Road/Crit Race on one of the days and a longer recovery
ride 70km+ (but usually no longer than 140km) on the other day.
I also have just started a personalised exercise program designed by the VIS
Cycling Program to target a few physical problems and weaknesses that I
have. I do this program 3 times a week and it takes about 1.25 hrs per
session to get through. I should start to see the benefit of this in the
next few weeks but for now it's just a lot of sore muscles and really early
mornings.

btw. This is the Ergo I use for my training www.rickleonard.com.au I bought
the frame only optiion and built it up myself. I am using the resistance
unit from a Tacx "Cycleforce Swing" Mag Trainer. This is probably the best
Mag resistance unit out there IMHO. It's got a really heavy flywheel that
gets you smoothly over the dead spot at the top of your pedal stroke and
allows for really "Low Cadence - High Power" training.

Geoff

Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
Ghent Six Day Excursion Ilan Vardi Racing 8 November 30th 03 08:03 PM