The Cycle gods are smiling today in Melbourne

Old June 2nd 04, 10:13 AM
Parbs

Default The Cycle gods are smiling today in Melbourne

hippy wrote:
flyingdutch wrote:
Sydney-ites are SOFT!!!

Hands up all those who got soggy this morning? raises hand

hippy

Not me. The forecast promised rain today so I used alternative means. This action guaranteeing there was no rain.

Parbs (a soft Sydney-ite)

Old June 3rd 04, 12:26 AM
Ritch

flyingdutch wrote in message ...
Ritch wrote:
Now there is an advantage to living in Sydney - I get the land
breeze in the morning (westerly tailwind) and the sea breeze in the
evening (easterly tailwind). At least, I get the tailwind most of
the time... ahhh.

See?

Sydney-ites are SOFT!!!

This can't go unchallenged...

Melbourne is clearly less pleasant to ride in winter 'cos it is cold
and sometimes wet. It is also dark later in the morning and earlier at
night, but look at the thread on riding through the Carlton Gardens!
The complaint was that the gardens are used as an alternative to the
_bike-lane_ on the road as the _bike-lane_ sometimes gets cars in it.
oooh poor me, I can't ride in a bike lane because a car might move
across and into it. In Sydney you would say WHAT BIKE LANE? Tangling
with semis is all part of fun of riding in Sydney!

Ritch.

FWIW, it was wet this morning... covered in grit again. It always
seems to happen after you clean the bike
Old June 3rd 04, 12:37 AM
DRS

"Ritch" wrote in message

[...]

FWIW, it was wet this morning... covered in grit again. It always
seems to happen after you clean the bike

Ah, you can blame me for that. I washed the bike on Monday before taking it
in for a service and the weather's been ****ty ever since. However, you can
all thank me for last week's good weather, which was because I finally got
around to buying some winter gloves. Melbournites can expect periodic good
weather this winter as I still have a couple of items of winter gear to buy.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old June 3rd 04, 01:01 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Ritch In Sydney you would say WHAT BIKE LANE
Tangling with semis is all part of fun of riding in Sydney

I don't have bike lanes on my commute. "Bring on the trucks", I say

FWIW, it was wet this morning... covered in grit again. It always seem
to happen after you clean the bike :

You clean your bike?! You Sydney-siders ARE soft :

hipp

-

Old June 3rd 04, 01:30 AM
flyingdutch

Drs wrote:
[BI washed the bike on Monday before taking it in for a service

wash and a SERVICE

SOFT!!! :

hardcorers (read lazy/cheap) do it demselve

-

Old June 3rd 04, 03:19 AM
DRS

Drs wrote:
[BI washed the bike on Monday before taking it in for a service

wash and a SERVICE!

SOFT!!!

hardcorers (read lazy/cheap) do it demselves

The service was free, being part of the buy price, so I'd be mad not to take
advantage of it. Besides, if I did it all myself then who would I complain
to to get bits replaced for free?

As for the wash, that goes back to my motorcycling days in Canberra. I had
my bike serviced by a private mechanic who refused to touch your bike if it
was dirty. He reckoned that if you didn't care enough about your bike to
keep it clean then why should he care enough about it to service it, and
that's something I've never forgotten.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old June 3rd 04, 05:15 AM
coowoowoo

Originally posted by Drs
"flyingdutch" wrote in message

Drs wrote
[BI washed the bike on Monday before taking it in for a servic

wash and a SERVICE

SOFT!!! :

hardcorers (read lazy/cheap) do it demselve

The service was free, being part of the buy price, so I'd be mad not t
take advantage of it. Besides, if I did it all myself then who would
complain to to get bits replaced for free

As for the wash, that goes back to my motorcycling days in Canberra.
had my bike serviced by a private mechanic who refused to touch you
bike if it was dirty. He reckoned that if you didn't care enough abou
your bike to keep it clean then why should he care enough about it t
service it, and that's something I've never forgotten

Okay boys, hands off them now and we shall declare the syd/melb debate
stand off

Melbs .. cold and sometimes wet..i say that as i look out the windo
frowning in anticipation of my ride home tonight

Sydney...humid and sweaty..and lots of hills off memory.

On a good note though, the bike will get a free wash.. so once again
can thank the cycle gods.. now if only they would dry it off for me a
the end of the journey and keep the clowns out of the bike lanes.
that goes for the cars, semi's and helmetless/lightless/redligh
runners.. grr

-

Old June 3rd 04, 06:00 AM
flyingdutch

Drs wrote:
I had my bike serviced by a private mechanic who refused to touch your
bike if it was dirty. He reckoned that if you didn't care enough about
your bike to keep it clean then why should he care enough about it to
service it, and that's something I've never forgotten.

i like that

as for my hands, they are busy holding my head as i curse my stupidit
at unclipping the guards off my bike this morning as i exclaimed what
beautiful morning it was!!

Someone mentioned to me recently that rain brings out or makes all th
glass/sharp bits stand u

sounds like an urban myth but i defeinetly get more punctures in the fe
days proceeding a downfall. anyone else heard of this theory

-

Old June 3rd 04, 06:15 AM
hippy

Originally posted by flyingdutch Someone mentioned to me recently tha
rain brings out or makes all the glass/sharp bits stand up sounds lik
an urban myth but i defeinetly get more punctures in the few day
proceeding a downfall. anyone else heard of this theory

My guess is simply more glass being washed onto the road from gutters
etc and perhaps the water lubes up the glass and makes it easier t
pierce a tyre

hipp

-

Old June 3rd 04, 06:15 AM
coowoowoo

flyingdutch wrote:
i like that!
as for my hands, they are busy holding my head as i curse my stupidity
at unclipping the guards off my bike this morning as i exclaimed what a
beautiful morning it was!!!
Someone mentioned to me recently that rain brings out or makes all the
glass/sharp bits stand up
sounds like an urban myth but i defeinetly get more punctures in the few
days proceeding a downfall. anyone else heard of this theory?

Dutchy I read the latest BV newsletter last night and there was
mention of rain bringing out glass/general rubbish etc. So maybe th
word is filtering around. But dont fret, as i once again look out th
window of the orifice and note that the horizontal rain spotted befor
had momentarily ceased. Unclipping guards in melb winter.. foolish tal
i say... Why did you do that anyway? I cant think why you would tak
them off to start with? Enlighten me

-