how to i coach someone to keep their head still

Old October 30th 05, 12:59 AM
Peter McCallum

Default how to i coach someone to keep their head still

My son and I have started doing some training rides recently. He's
improving quickly but has a bad habit of moving his head from side to
side with each pedal stroke. As a result he wobbles along the road.

I've tried to get him to keep his head still but he doesn't seem to
realise how much he moves about. Does anyone have some tips on how to
coach someone to keep their head stationary?

Peter

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old October 30th 05, 01:38 AM
ritcho

Peter McCallum Wrote:
My son and I have started doing some training rides recently. He's
improving quickly but has a bad habit of moving his head from side to
side with each pedal stroke. As a result he wobbles along the road.

I've tried to get him to keep his head still but he doesn't seem to
realise how much he moves about. Does anyone have some tips on how to
coach someone to keep their head stationary?

Peter

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Before asking how to fix, ask why it happens in the first place?

Is the reach too far? This can be a problem for a growing boy: fitting
a bike would really be an evolving process! Does core stability require
more development? Perhaps a seasoned coach might have some ideas on the
why aspect...

Just a thought - Ritch

--
ritcho

Old October 30th 05, 01:03 AM
TimC

On 2005-10-29, Peter McCallum (aka Bruce)
My son and I have started doing some training rides recently. He's
improving quickly but has a bad habit of moving his head from side to
side with each pedal stroke. As a result he wobbles along the road.

I've tried to get him to keep his head still but he doesn't seem to
realise how much he moves about. Does anyone have some tips on how to
coach someone to keep their head stationary?

Put an electric shock device 1cm either side of where his head ought
to be

I've got nothing constructive to suggest, unfortunately

--
TimC
Some of you know what the Perl slogan on Windows is, and you can say it
Old October 30th 05, 01:10 AM
Peter McCallum

ritcho wrote:

Peter McCallum Wrote:
[...]

That seems like a good suggestion. I might try him on another bike that
has a slightly larger frame.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old October 30th 05, 01:51 AM
Tamyka Bell

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Peter McCallum wrote:

My son and I have started doing some training rides recently. He's
improving quickly but has a bad habit of moving his head from side to
side with each pedal stroke. As a result he wobbles along the road.

I've tried to get him to keep his head still but he doesn't seem to
realise how much he moves about. Does anyone have some tips on how to
coach someone to keep their head stationary?

Peter

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Aside from what everyone else has said, (except that STUPID electric
shock idea...) here are a couple of things it may be:

- not looking far enough ahead

- pushing too much in each pedal stroke, rather than even strokes with a
nice pull (Abby used to do this!)

- counterbalance for hip movement (seat too high or too much push, not
enough pull)

- not enough shoulder tension... because he's too young to be seriously
stressed, lucky thing!

Tam
Old October 30th 05, 02:25 AM
aeek

Tamyka Bell Wrote:

Aside from what everyone else has said, (except that STUPID electric
shock idea...)

I thought the broomstick behind the neck was far worse, good way to
break his neck!

--
aeek

Old October 30th 05, 02:52 AM
Tamyka Bell

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, aeek wrote:

Tamyka Bell Wrote:

Aside from what everyone else has said, (except that STUPID electric
shock idea...)

I thought the broomstick behind the neck was far worse, good way to
break his neck!

And it would make shoulder checks very challenging.

Tam
Old October 30th 05, 02:55 AM
Peter McCallum

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Aside from what everyone else has said, (except that STUPID electric
shock idea...) here are a couple of things it may be:

- not looking far enough ahead

- pushing too much in each pedal stroke, rather than even strokes with a
nice pull (Abby used to do this!)

- counterbalance for hip movement (seat too high or too much push, not
enough pull)

- not enough shoulder tension... because he's too young to be seriously
stressed, lucky thing!

Tam

I think you are right about not looking far enough ahead. I think he
tends to look down a fair bit. I'll ask him to keep his head up more.

At present he's not using any clips/cleats/etc and as a result doesn't
have good foot position on the pedals, let alone be able to pull. I'll
put some new pedals on the shopping list [sees more water leaking into
the debt boat]

As far as shoulder tension goes, he's probably got plenty, given that
his Dad is behind telling him how to ride [I can almost hear his
thoughts "P***-off Dad, who's riding this bike?"]. I just sent an email
to the local racing club looking for some coaching help. I think that
advice coming from an independent third party might be better received
than from me.

See ya
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old October 30th 05, 06:21 AM
Peka

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:25:03 +1100, aeek
wrote:

Tamyka Bell Wrote:

Aside from what everyone else has said, (except that STUPID electric
shock idea...)

I thought the broomstick behind the neck was far worse, good way to
break his neck!

Well the broomstick would actually keep his neck straight, and would
also have to break for his neck to break

Helmets yk Techniques 61 July 11th 05 04:54 AM
Critique of BMA paper Just zis Guy, you know? UK 2 November 11th 04 11:15 PM
published helmet research - not troll patrick Racing 1790 November 8th 04 03:16 AM
Compulsory helmets again! Richard Burton UK 526 December 29th 03 08:19 PM