lame fattie masters

Old August 6th 03, 09:15 PM
Andrew

Default lame fattie masters

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message
My question is, what would motivate some lame fattie
master to attempt to cheat during an ITT? It's not like the guy had any hope
of making the podium...

Were there prizes by age group? He/they may have been gunning for one
of those. A while back, three jackasses were drafting one another
during a lame local biathlon. I passed them and whilst doing so let
them know how I felt. Nothing like watching others cheat while you
work your ball sack off (is that one word of two?). They probably won
their age group. Had they beaten me, I'd have reported them. I should
have anyway.

It appears I'm still a bit miffed.
Old August 6th 03, 09:16 PM
Andy Coggan

"Andrew" wrote in message
om...
"Andy Coggan" wrote in message
My question is, what would motivate some lame fattie
master to attempt to cheat during an ITT? It's not like the guy had any

hope
of making the podium...

Were there prizes by age group? He/they may have been gunning for one
of those.

Of course (that's why it is called master nationals). But this guy finished
more than 10 min back of 1st place, and more than 6 min back of a podium
spot.

Andy Coggan

Old August 6th 03, 10:41 PM
Ilan Vardi

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message k.net...
Not long before I flatted during the TT at master nationals on Monday, I
found myself rolling up on a couple of riders who looked like they were
doing a 2-up TTT. I swear, the guy sitting on was no more than a wheel's
length directly behind the other rider, and stayed there for at least a
minute - it could have been for even longer, but that's about as long as I
had them in sight before a state police car passed me and then tucked in
behind them, causing the 2nd rider to drop back a little (but still not the
required distance). My question is, what would motivate some lame fattie
master to attempt to cheat during an ITT? It's not like the guy had any hope
of making the podium...

Sign up on Yahoo Games and you will learn all about cheating. What I
find interesting are the rationalisations for cheating, like, "you're
not nice, etc." As for Masters racing, more intriguing is the drug
question, as there is probably not too much doubt that a large percentage
of the riders are high on all kinds of stuff, including the backmarkers.

As for you question regarding the fact that the guy had no hope
of making podium, it might be because master's racing is mostly
about being the best you can be, even if it means cheating... As I
said, people will come up with all kinds of rationalisations when under
stress.

-ilan

P.S. "lame fattie master" = redundant twice over.
Old August 6th 03, 10:52 PM
Corey Green

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message
nk.net...
"matabala" wrote in message

[...]

To feel the wrath of a studly honed master-

Not wrath - puzzlement. What would possess some cat. 3 or 4 old fart to
travel 1000 miles to compete at masters nationals and then feel the need

cheat? I just don't get it.

Andy Coggan

I heard something about the aroma of Papa John's pizza and Krispy Kreme
donuts wafting from the jersey pockets. Probably a plant to distract the
other masters so the guys teammate could win the race. The guy probably
slowed down so he could try to find the food.

Old August 7th 03, 05:33 AM
Bret Wade

Ilan Vardi wrote:

As for Masters racing, more intriguing is the drug
question, as there is probably not too much doubt that a large percentage
of the riders are high on all kinds of stuff, including the backmarkers.

What makes you think you know anything about this? I'm right in the
middle of it and I'm only certain about one guy, and that's based on
circumstantial and 2nd hand evidence. There are a handful of guys I
suspect, but I don't even have a good rumor to base that on. Are there
expatriate fattie masters meeting you for rides at Vincennes, feeding
you the inside scoop?

I'm not so naive as to think there is no drug use in masters racing, but
I believe the majority are clean. I've never seen any first hand
evidence of drug use.

-ilan

P.S. "lame fattie master" = redundant twice over.

What makes you think you know anything about this? Were you constantly
dropping the USPS Masters guys on the morning ride while you were at
Stanford? Did they suffer badly on your wheel until you popped them? If
not, what makes you think you know anything about this?

At least Kurgan has some experience upon which to base his odd notions.

Bret

Old August 7th 03, 06:30 AM
warren

In article et, Bret
Wade wrote:

Ilan Vardi wrote:

As for Masters racing, more intriguing is the drug
question, as there is probably not too much doubt that a large percentage
of the riders are high on all kinds of stuff, including the backmarkers.

What makes you think you know anything about this? I'm right in the
middle of it and I'm only certain about one guy, and that's based on
circumstantial and 2nd hand evidence. There are a handful of guys I
suspect, but I don't even have a good rumor to base that on. Are there
expatriate fattie masters meeting you for rides at Vincennes, feeding
you the inside scoop?

I'm not so naive as to think there is no drug use in masters racing, but
I believe the majority are clean. I've never seen any first hand
evidence of drug use.

I know 3 guys who are at the top of the sport in the 40-55 age groups
and none of them are using drugs to win unless you consider a single
RedBull drink as cheating. If you really get to know them, they simply
don't care enough about the wins to take drugs or cheat in some other
way. They race to win, but the wins aren't their primary motivation.
Among most of the guys I see in the top 15 in 35+ and 45+ races around
here their placings are no surprise. They've got good genetics, mostly
sound training, and they achieve similar success in their work.

-ilan

P.S. "lame fattie master" = redundant twice over.

What makes you think you know anything about this? Were you constantly
dropping the USPS Masters guys on the morning ride while you were at
Stanford? Did they suffer badly on your wheel until you popped them? If
not, what makes you think you know anything about this?

Yeah, that Larry Nolan weighs 210 lbs! How can he be one of the best
45-year old racers in the country and weigh that much?

-WG
Old August 7th 03, 07:34 AM
Suz

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message
nk.net...
"PedalChick" wrote in message
om...
I heard the same thing about the 40-44 group - apparently there was a
smooth rotating paceline going on in that TT... when you look at the
results, there's probably a group of guys significantly faster than
everyone else, but 30 seconds apart, or thereabouts.

Ya know, there are several guys who are close to 30 seconds apart! :-)

Aside from road guards at one
T-intersection and people at the turnaround, that was the only official
presence I saw on the whole course.

I think I saw 2 moto officials. I don't get the cheating thing either.
It's not like the stakes are SO high, even if you win, all you get is a
gold-colored medal and a jersey that will probably be on sale at Performance
next year. (Still, it's nice to have, even though it's too big... :-)

What did you guys think of the guy who brought his BIKE to the podium, and
then proceeded to hold up the ceremonies while he got several extra pictures
taken of him and his BIKE on the PODIUM. He didn't even win, I think he was
3rd. The winner had to step around the guy's BIKE to get to his spot on the
podium. What a hoser. Hope that wasn't any of you guys.

Suz

Old August 7th 03, 12:47 PM
Ilan Vardi

Bret Wade wrote in message ink.net...
Ilan Vardi wrote:

As for Masters racing, more intriguing is the drug
question, as there is probably not too much doubt that a large percentage
of the riders are high on all kinds of stuff, including the backmarkers.

What makes you think you know anything about this? I'm right in the
middle of it and I'm only certain about one guy, and that's based on
circumstantial and 2nd hand evidence. There are a handful of guys I
suspect, but I don't even have a good rumor to base that on.

When I wrote "large percentage", I meant one or two guys. That seems
large enough, given the meaning of masters racing. How is that for
not admitting I was wrong?

What makes you think you know anything about this? Were you constantly
dropping the USPS Masters guys on the morning ride while you were at
Stanford? Did they suffer badly on your wheel until you popped them? If
not, what makes you think you know anything about this?

I rode against them at the track. Some were much faster than me, but some
them weighed over 200 lbs, not all of which was muscle.

-ilan