Pedal/Crank Grabbing in Trials

Old June 14th 08, 08:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Default Pedal/Crank Grabbing in Trials

I think your cranks are allowed to touch stuff too, in Trials
competition, but I haven't tried looking it up. Is anyone looking at
actual Trials rules in this thread?

Beyond that, the object of Unicycle Trials is to complete sections.
There are no style points for how you do it, as long as it's within the
rules. Modified rules that eliminate pedal grabs, or possibly other
stuff, are possible, but that would be a specialized version of a
Trials comp by todays standards. Complete your sections however you
want, but your score will be the same as the grabbers.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old June 14th 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Emile.m

ntappin wrote:
One of the main arguments you are using is that for bikes they aren't
allowed to do it. But the thing is a bike has two wheels, they are
alowed to use both wheels and one of the techniques they use is to hook
the front wheel onto thinks and then pull themselves up.

With a bike using your pedals or bash plate is usually less efficient
than using your front tire, and if you can use your pedals/bash plate
then you could probably do the line easily with just the tires.

For unicycles we don't have an alternative method of hooking and
pulling up objects besides our pedals. A hooking method is really
useful and the pedals are our only method. If your big argument is that
bike's aren't allowed to do it, well then I disagree, they just do it
differently.

A pedal grab on a uni is also different than one done on a bike, with a
bike they usually will have a wheel touching as well as the pedal and so
they don't have to rely on their balance as much. With pedal grabs, yes
you are on a flat surface but it takes quite good balance to get up
from it, and as you know, its a very tough skill in itself. Bikes using
their pedal for the most part is just the same skill as hooking with a
tire, but a bit easier, so its not much different than something
already there, just uglier.

I think your idea of "cleaning up" competition is an alright one, but
unicycles are simple, and there isn't much more that we can do to clean
up the performance, this will come more from the design of the trials
course. If you give people courses where they can't pedal grab as much
or they don't have large areas to do lots of prehopping or bouncing
around then you will clean up the riding a lot more than disallowing
pedal grabs.

That's what I wanted to say. Especially the first paragraph, but I
didn't know how to explain it.

Thanks Nathan.

--
Emile.m

Ntappin wrote:

I'm a butcher, and it took me like 10 minutes to get one nub off my
luna.

2nd *)---TreFlip-'O,

M'y galler' (http://tinyurl.com/23w828)y
Old June 15th 08, 07:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

_Ground_Zero_ wrote:
Maybe it would be more fair if a trials competition went like this.
Pedal grab -1 point, crankgrab -3 points, fall -5 points. Who ever has
the most points wins. That would make an interesting competition.

Another way of cleaning up the lines would be a penalty for doing more
than X prehops.

Or a bonus for completing a section w/in X seconds.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old June 15th 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brendan

skilewis74 wrote:
Another way of cleaning up the lines would be a penalty for doing more
than X prehops.

Or a bonus for completing a section w/in X seconds.

It's a trials comp not a street comp. There are no "style points"....
if you want to make your video's flowy then fine, but at a comp you do
whatever you want.

I think pedal/crank grabs look ****e and I hardly ever do them, but in
a comp everythign goes. Trial bikers have a front wheel let us have the
pedal.

--
brendan
Old July 9th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zfreak220

Outlawing pedal/crank grabs in the higher levels of competition could
mean less obstacles to build for event organizers. Have three levels of
sections: beginner, intermediate, and expert. Intermediate and expert
share sections, but intermediate can pedal/crank grab and expert can't.

--
zfreak220

-Conrad