Pedal/Crank Grabbing in Trials

Old June 13th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

Default Pedal/Crank Grabbing in Trials

MuniAddict wrote:
Pedal grabs are necessary for even the greatest highjumpers simply
because there is a limit to how high you can go directly to rubber! So
if you highjump to rubber maxium is 110cm, (or 114cm if your Fabian!)
and the object you're going for is 130cm, or w/e then the only option
to get up there is to pedal grab and go to rubber from there.

But that's cheating. I don't jump, put my foot on the ledge and then
mount again. Pedal grabbing is essentially just that. Or like Fabian
being disqualified for putting his hand down after a highjump.

--
Danni

*)---', 113cm HighJump*

'My Videos'
(http://ca.youtube.com/user/danielcormeau)
'Sliver Trials Park' (http://tinyurl.com/6ooszk)
Old June 13th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

I'm fine with it as long as it's clean.

If you're balancing forever up there on your pedal I have to agree that
it doesn't count, but if you take about as long as your prehop to do
it......

of course, for highjump it shouldn't be allowed

I see it like a bike trials rider using their front tire and brake to
pull themselves up. Isn't that something that they do in competition?
Like terry said, it's the only way to get up to certain objects.

--
hobo_chuck

"johnfoss" wrote:
so suck it!

"hobo_chuck" wrote:
*HOLY* son of a bike rider

Old June 13th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

MuniAddict wrote:
How the heck is it "cheating" if you pedal grab at a height otherwise
IMPOSSIBLE to jump up to _directly_ to rubber?

IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE, GO FOR IT!

Should you just give up and not go for anything higher than your
highjump max, solely because you can't get up to it any other way than
to pedal grab it first? That's rediculous. That's like saying it's
cheating to use lower gears on a mtb to go up the steepest hills,
because in 1:1 or higher gears it wouldn't be possible to make it.

A BETTER ANALOGY WOULD BE TO PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN TO HELP YOURSELF UP
SOMETHING REALLY STEEP/ TECHNICAL. WOULD YOU ACCEPT THAT? AND BIKERS
ARE ALWAYS CALLING THEMSELVES CHEATERS FOR USING X GEARS.

Or it's cheating to hop SIF to get more height in your jumps because
your not really and fully "on" the unicycle. Poppycock lol!

WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF \"ON A UNICYCLE\". TO ME IT IS: RIDING THE
UNICYCLE WITHOUT LEANING, TOUCHING, ETC ANY OBJECTS. CLEARLY THIS IS
THE RULE FOR *MOST* RIDERS, AS FABIAN TOUCHING AFTER A HIGHJUMP IS
CONSIDERED INVALID.

I would say though, that if it *is* within your ability to jump
directly to rubber, than do it, and don't pedal/crank grab. I would
agree on that point. Oh and btw, well executed pedal grabbing is
also a _skill_! Not everyone is good at it, like me lol!

I should have specified that I was talking about pedal grabs and crank
grabs in competition, like UCI. What you do in you backyard is none of
my business. I watched some fluck videos and there was pedal grab after
pedal grab in the trials comp. I think that going to rubber is a better
gauge of skill than smashing your way up.

The definition of trials is to get over a set obstacle without leaning,
putting your hand down, or bodily contact with foreign (not the
unicycle) objects. Pedal grabbing is, to me, breaking the essence of
trials.

Old June 13th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

MuniAddict wrote:
To make pedal grabs "illegal"-at least for stuff to high to jump
otherwise-is like saying, well, that ledge is 150cm, which currently is
not possible to jump to directly to rubber, so then we declare that it
is off-limits to anyone to even try by pedal grabbing!

So, how would such a rules change affect your riding, Terry? When was
your last trials comp?

I'm just curious why Mr. "Drop Everything" is so interested in this
topic... inquiring minds would like to know.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
Old June 13th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

maestro8 wrote:
So, how would such a rules change affect your riding, Terry? When was
your last trials comp?

I'm just curious why Mr. "Drop Everything" is so interested in this
topic... inquiring minds would like to know.

Well, you and & aren't jounalists, politicians, scientists, or war vets,
but that doesn't stop us from opining about those and other subjects!

I'm interested because I just got a trials uni and love all aspects of
unicyling, and I'm part of this community and like to share in the
discussions, and yes, learn things in the process. And at my age, I can
never even hope to get to the skill level I would like, especially in
the trials/street department, but I'll still keep trying!

--
MuniAddict

*'www.unigeezer.com' (http://www.unigeezer.com)

*
Old June 14th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicycledood

I hope we never see you pedal grab then danny. Risky though... Its a
nice tool...

--
unicycledood

The.Mars.Volta wrote:
haha, so young, yet so angry, damn that rap music.

Old June 14th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniDudeDX

I feel that you use your unicycle to get up, then it stioll counts. It
is part of your uni.

your using your uni to get yourself up someting otherwise impposible.

--
UniDudeDX

'My new sponsor-661 Sports' (www.sixsixone.com)
Old June 14th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

One of the main arguments you are using is that for bikes they aren't
allowed to do it. But the thing is a bike has two wheels, they are
alowed to use both wheels and one of the techniques they use is to hook
the front wheel onto thinks and then pull themselves up.

With a bike using your pedals or bash plate is usually less efficient
than using your front tire, and if you can use your pedals/bash plate
then you could probably do the line easily with just the tires.

For unicycles we don't have an alternative method of hooking and
pulling up objects besides our pedals. A hooking method is really
useful and the pedals are our only method. If your big argument is that
bike's aren't allowed to do it, well then I disagree, they just do it
differently.

A pedal grab on a uni is also different than one done on a bike, with a
bike they usually will have a wheel touching as well as the pedal and so
they don't have to rely on their balance as much. With pedal grabs, yes
you are on a flat surface but it takes quite good balance to get up
from it, and as you know, its a very tough skill in itself. Bikes using
their pedal for the most part is just the same skill as hooking with a
tire, but a bit easier, so its not much different than something
already there, just uglier.

I think your idea of "cleaning up" competition is an alright one, but
unicycles are simple, and there isn't much more that we can do to clean
up the performance, this will come more from the design of the trials
course. If you give people courses where they can't pedal grab as much
or they don't have large areas to do lots of prehopping or bouncing
around then you will clean up the riding a lot more than disallowing
pedal grabs.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old June 14th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
_Ground_Zero_

I think it's fine as long as your foot doesn't touch when the pedal
grabs. Grabs are just a technique used to get yourself over an object.
Maybe it would be more fair if a trials competition went like this.
Pedal grab -1 point, crankgrab -3 points, fall -5 points. Who ever has
the most points wins. That would make an interesting competition.

--
_Ground_Zero_

http://www.youtube.com/user/UniGroundZero
'SixSixOne.com' (sixsixone.com)

-Zero
Old June 14th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

uhm am i the only one that finds it harder to pedal grab a very high
(ability wise, this fits everyone) object compared to landing on tire,
i like pedal grabs, they are the best looking way to do some lines.

one of my personal favorite things is to rolling sidehop something way
too huge to land to tire, grab with pedal and swing back out to what i
gapped from, and if its not too hard toss in a 180 or 360 (speaking of
which, i almost did a flat ground 540 the other day!(sorry, i'm still
stoked though)

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS-for enjoyment purposes'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)

do it for the joy, do it for the fun, do it for the looks, do it for
yourself.