Geoff's Wedding

Old September 25th 09, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default Geoff's Wedding

Marian Rosenberg wrote:
On Sep 22, 8:41 am, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
aka Marian Rosenberg wrote: [...]
After last weekend's mostly successful ride to Paul Feng's village
through Wenru and out to Chengmai before catching the bus back to
Haikou I figured I'd have no real problem biking out to the wedding.
Headwind all the way it was also going to be near as flat as a pancake
so I shouldn't been hurting too bad to do it. Also, because of last
weekend's mostly successful ride's inclusion of roads that I had never
been on (an increasing rarity in Hainan) I decided that this weekend's
should also include roads that I had never been on.

The most important part of the story is missing - which bicycle did you
ride?

Panasonic Touring Bike with take apart frame from A.Muzi at Yellow
Jersey.

Make sure to stop in and say hi to Andy if you are ever in Madison.

Brooks leather saddle and a Dahon Biologic Pump Seatpost, 700c x 31
tires, full fenders, platform pedals.

My most recent new bicycle was from Yellow Jersey and also has a DaHon
pump seatpost:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/sets/72157619269876565/.

Last I checked I have one of almost every Shimano gruppo on the bike
though now that I have started changing the mix with mountain bike
parts, I may have lost some of the road groups.

[...]
When that didn't work and when I couldn't actually find any maps of
Hainan in my apartment (I store my maps in my head), I went online and
looked up "Wenchang County Map" on google. None of the ones I found
were very good maps and most of them didn't even have some of the
roads that I know from route #3 but I drew a straight line of where I
wanted to go, wrote down the names of the towns on the way, and set
off on An Adventure.

Does GPS work, or are there no maps available?

GPS works. I just don't have it yet.

Once I do have GPS it'll really only be good for bike routes I, or
someone I know, has already been on.

Easily purchased maps are intended for tourists and don't include
things like the farm roads I want to ride. Maps with farm roads are
usually available on a county by county basis and aren't very easy to
find. Plus, there's no guarantee that a road is paved.

This is why I take my tour bike on trips where I'm not exactly sure
where I'm going. The Habanero doesn't like dirt roads so well.

Nor any other bicycle with skinny tires.

[...]
Over the course of the day I drank 7 liters of water, and 2 liters of
tea. However I didn't need to pee until I got off the bike, had
devoured the bowl of noodle soup, and was drinking tea with Sue while
listening to the ocean from the balcony of her room.

Now we know Marian gets 15.6 km/L.

Errr... yeah...

Will it make you feel bad that I got 18.5 km/L riding in the Illinois
summer on the I&M Trail - hot, humid but a lot of shade.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old September 25th 09, 12:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Marian

On Sep 25, 8:31*am, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Marian Rosenberg wrote:
On Sep 22, 8:41 am, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
aka Marian Rosenberg wrote: [...]
After last weekend's mostly successful ride to Paul Feng's village
through Wenru and out to Chengmai before catching the bus back to
Haikou I figured I'd have no real problem biking out to the wedding.
Headwind all the way it was also going to be near as flat as a pancake
so I shouldn't been hurting too bad to do it. *Also, because of last
weekend's mostly successful ride's inclusion of roads that I had never
been on (an increasing rarity in Hainan) I decided that this weekend's
should also include roads that I had never been on.
The most important part of the story is missing - which bicycle did you
ride?

Panasonic Touring Bike with take apart frame from A.Muzi at Yellow
Jersey.

Make sure to stop in and say hi to Andy if you are ever in Madison.

Considering my guilt over the Great Seatpost Fiasco that was one of
the things in the order he placed in China that was the reason I got
that frame as a translator fee I definitely owe it to him to say hi
face to face.

Short form is that there were a bunch of things ordered but the custom
seatposts were the one vital item. The factory that made the
seatposts didn't bother to make them. They just threw a bunch of
random steel pipe style seatposts in a box which the people at the
local bike shop who handled the order for me glanced at and said "oh,
seat posts" and didn't check to see if they were a) aluminum b) to
spec before putting the box of seatposts in with the stuff being
shipped to the US. The local shop is enough of a big fish in China
that they couldn't imagine a factory that made bike parts dreaming of
scamming them. Unfortunately they were wrong.

Brooks leather saddle and a Dahon Biologic Pump Seatpost, 700c x 31
tires, full fenders, platform pedals.

My most recent new bicycle was from Yellow Jersey and also has a DaHon
pump seatpost:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/sets/72157619269876565/.

The really impressive thing about my seatpost is the many hours my
mechanic spent with a grinding tool getting it to fit the steel frame.

[...]

I've had skinny tired bikes that tolerated dirt roads but something
about my Habanero's set up really hates dirt roads...

[...]
Over the course of the day I drank 7 liters of water, and 2 liters of
tea. *However I didn't need to pee until I got off the bike, had
devoured the bowl of noodle soup, and was drinking tea with Sue while
listening to the ocean from the balcony of her room.
Now we know Marian gets 15.6 km/L.

Errr... yeah...

Will it make you feel bad that I got 18.5 km/L riding in the Illinois
summer on the I&M Trail - hot, humid but a lot of shade.

Nope. Though I'm not usually much inclined to keep track of my km/
L...

-M

Wedding Coordination sunting Mountain Biking 0 January 4th 08 07:38 AM
Wedding still on? [email protected] Racing 2 July 22nd 06 09:51 PM
Wedding on unicycle leo Unicycling 2 April 6th 06 07:55 PM
a unicyclist wedding Jeff Groves Unicycling 17 February 21st 05 04:21 PM
Cycling to a Wedding Richard Bates UK 12 December 12th 03 08:22 PM