Change in design of SRAM "powerlink"?

Old June 13th 17, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

Default Change in design of SRAM "powerlink"?

A year or so ago I installed a new SRAM PC71 9-speed chain, and found
that the "powerlink" didn't easily slip to the closed position as they
had always done previously. I assumed that this was a manufacturing
problem and used an older powerlink that I had on hand. But the same
problem arose a week or so ago**, and this time I just stood on the
pedals until the link snapped into place.

A few days ago someone on this newsgroup--I forgot who--mentioned that
the links are meant to be one-time only, so not to be taken apart for
chain cleaning or the like. Could it be that this represents a change in
intended use, and that having the link fit more tightly than before is
what SRAM now wants?

**On a different bike--my chains last longer than a year.

Ned
Old June 13th 17, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 11:58:03 AM UTC-7, Ned Mantei wrote:
A year or so ago I installed a new SRAM PC71 9-speed chain, and found
that the "powerlink" didn't easily slip to the closed position as they
had always done previously. I assumed that this was a manufacturing
problem and used an older powerlink that I had on hand. But the same
problem arose a week or so ago**, and this time I just stood on the
pedals until the link snapped into place.

A few days ago someone on this newsgroup--I forgot who--mentioned that
the links are meant to be one-time only, so not to be taken apart for
chain cleaning or the like. Could it be that this represents a change in
intended use, and that having the link fit more tightly than before is
what SRAM now wants?

**On a different bike--my chains last longer than a year.

You need to look this up on the SRAM site, but I think the 9-speed Powerlink is reusable. SRAM states that the 10/11 Powerlock are single use. For the last couple of years at least, it's been SOP to line up the 9-speed Powerlink along the top of the chain stay and stand on the pedal to set it.

I've found that SRAM 9-sp chains have been living shorter lives over the last decade. I prefer KMC for cost and longevity, unless I can get SRAMs for some smoking deal off Nashbar or something.

-- Jay Beattie
Old June 13th 17, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 1:54:39 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I think that one out of four or five of those powerlinks go together by hand. Shimano just gives you a lot of those single insert pins. But I don't like the amount of time it takes to find the proper pin to push out.
Old June 13th 17, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

By the way - I looked up the three or four different brands of masterlinks and I can't tell them apart. How can one be taken apart by hand while all the others need a pair of pliers?
Old June 13th 17, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 2:09:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I always use my Park pliers, whether its a KMC or SRAP masterlink. It's a waste of time wrestling with "tool-free" masterlinks.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 14th 17, 09:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 23:27:18 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Agreed. I bought a plier to open and a plier to close KMC links. They were 8 euro each. Good investment. Only the connex links are always easy to open like James said. But they are expensive and only worthwhile if you take your chain off regularly in which case you need a reusable link.

Lou

I bought some 3rd world set of pliers that both opens and closes these
infernal links.
--
Cheers,

John B.