Why do bicyclist have to try the patience of automobile drivers?

Old February 23rd 04, 04:16 AM
Goodwinds

Default Why do bicyclist have to try the patience of automobile drivers?

I really admire people who ride their bikes to and from work. I am always
curteous and give them the advantage. I have arthritis in my hips so bicycling
is out for me.
So why is that I find bicyclists so rude and road hogs? Recently a bicyclist
rode by my car and bashed off the side mirror. It cost me $200 to repair. I
was sitting in my car waiting for a bicyclist to pass by. It was dusk and the
person had nothing on their bike or person to let people know they were man
powered. So why did this person bang on my car in such a manner as to scare
the holy crap outta me?
We have a bicycle path that was built just for bicyclists here in Seattle so
why do you two wheelers have to travel on roads that are not wide enough to
accommadate you?
Today I had my fill. On a long narrow barely two lane road to a local beach,
several macho bikers were holding up a long line of traffic so they could prove
their manliness. We all have to share the roads but I pay my highway taxes and
you guys don't pay a damn thing! After seeing the rudness and crudness of the
display of macho egos and selfish attitudes you all have lost my respect!!!
Just watch out because if I am ever on that road with you guys I am not moving
over! You can ride in the ditch for all I care. I was not even one of the car
being held up! I was going the other way and could see the concern on the
other drivers faces while these Yahoos on two wheels smugly pedeled UP the
dangerous road from Golden Gardens. You deserve what you get in my opinion!
K.
rec.kites
Old February 23rd 04, 04:46 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Kathy: At first I thought your post was a troll, but I did a quick google
search on your email address, and you appear to be real. Not only that, but
in your various postings elsewhere (mostly in rec.kites) you also appear to
be a very reasonable person.

As a reasonable person, you know that the cyclists that you came across are
actually a very small number of people behaving badly. That doesn't mean
that we *all* do!

But regarding the "macho" guys you had to share the road with... if they
were riding safely, as far to the right as practical, they had as much right
to the road as you did. You are *way* off-base to say they don't deserve to
be there because they don't pay taxes; the gas taxes pay for the tiniest
fraction of the road costs. More likely they pay for more than their share
when they're out on a bike, given how little wear a bicycle causes a
roadway. Property & income taxes pay the majority of road costs, and those
cyclists most assuredly pay their fair share.

And it *was* a road to a beach, after all. Recreation at the end of the
line for those in cars, recreation for the cyclists on the way.

Please reconsider your attitude at a calmer time. If not for the mirror
incident, you probably wouldn't feel this way (and you'd have to talk to a
heck of a lot of people before you had anyone else have a similar
situation... that was most definitely not the norm).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old February 23rd 04, 04:48 AM
Pete

"Goodwinds" wrote

[...]

No idea where this yahoo came from, or why it was posted in here...

But...one day, people like this (and the possibly idiot cyclists) will
understand the concept of sharing, as it was taught in kindergarten.

Pete

Old February 23rd 04, 05:07 AM
Luigi de Guzman

On 23 Feb 2004 03:16:50 GMT, (Goodwinds) wrote:

I really admire people who ride their bikes to and from work. I am always
curteous and give them the advantage. I have arthritis in my hips so bicycling
is out for me.
So why is that I find bicyclists so rude and road hogs? Recently a bicyclist
rode by my car and bashed off the side mirror. It cost me $200 to repair. I
was sitting in my car waiting for a bicyclist to pass by. It was dusk and the
person had nothing on their bike or person to let people know they were man
powered. So why did this person bang on my car in such a manner as to scare
the holy crap outta me?

Because you were drifting dangerously close to the cyclist.

We haven't got anything like a horn to warn you that you're about to
squash us--especially when you're moving very close. Shouting is
futile, since drivers have their windows shut, their radios on, or are
on the phone.

So we do what we can--we knock your car to get your attention. If you
were scared, then you were spared the weight of a dead cyclist on your
conscience.

Bashing your side mirror off, if intentional, is inexcusable
vandalism. But I, myself, have had to rap my knuckles against the
doors of a Lexus SUV that very nearly edged me to one side as I was
trying to ride home in a summer thunderstorm. I have also suffered
one such collision, when a driver unaware of how far he was wandering
off his line nudged my handlebars with his car. Even though he nudged
me just before we rolled to a stop at a stoplight, I was thrown well
over my handlebars. It was a miracle that I was not badly hurt.

We have a bicycle path that was built just for bicyclists here in Seattle so
why do you two wheelers have to travel on roads that are not wide enough to
accommadate you?

Bicycle paths often don't go where the public roads go. that may be a
job, a store, a house, or another quieter road where he can get out of
your hair.

Today I had my fill. On a long narrow barely two lane road to a local beach,
several macho bikers were holding up a long line of traffic so they could prove
their manliness. We all have to share the roads but I pay my highway taxes and
you guys don't pay a damn thing! After seeing the rudness and crudness of the
display of macho egos and selfish attitudes you all have lost my respect!!!
Just watch out because if I am ever on that road with you guys I am not moving
over! You can ride in the ditch for all I care. I was not even one of the car
being held up! I was going the other way and could see the concern on the
other drivers faces while these Yahoos on two wheels smugly pedeled UP the
dangerous road from Golden Gardens. You deserve what you get in my opinion!

Madam, you are aware that according to the law in every state of the
Union, a bicycle is a vehicle like your own car. We might not move
fast, we might not tear up the asphalt as much as a two-ton car, but
we're drivers too. We don't exist to make your life difficult; we're
just trying to get form point A to point B.

You're angry because traffic makes everybody angry. So in time I hope
you'll calm down. But if you don't, and you persist in actively
running us off--and crowing that we get exactly what we deserve--then
someday the blood of a stranger will be on your conscience. A
bashed-in side mirror is an inconvenience for you. A death in the
family is an inconvenience and more to someone else.

-Luigi

K.
rec.kites

Old February 23rd 04, 05:14 AM
David Reuteler

Goodwinds wrote:
: Just watch out because if I am ever on that road with you guys I am not moving
: over! You can ride in the ditch for all I care.

my lawyer is more fearsome than your baditude.

..................\|||/
..................(0 o)
...,---ooO--(_)---------,
...|` ` ` `PLEASE```````|
...|` ` DON'T FEED```` |
...|` ` ` THE TROLLS`` |
...'-------------Ooo----'
..............|__|__|
..................|| ||
............ooO Ooo
--
david reuteler

Old February 23rd 04, 05:22 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
(Goodwinds) writes:
I really admire people who ride their bikes to and from work. I am always
curteous and give them the advantage. I have arthritis in my hips so bicycling
is out for me.
So why is that I find bicyclists so rude and road hogs? Recently a bicyclist
rode by my car and bashed off the side mirror. It cost me $200 to repair. I

Well, that stinks, and I'm sorry you had to put up with that.
But some folks are just inconsiderate and destructive no matter
what type of vehicle they operate.

was sitting in my car waiting for a bicyclist to pass by. It was dusk and the
person had nothing on their bike or person to let people know they were man
powered.

But just a minute. I assume you're saying you either pulled over,
or were waiting to pull out for a cyclist -- but you didn't know
they were a cyclist. Which is it?

So why did this person bang on my car in such a manner as to scare
the holy crap outta me?

Why was I buzzed within inches by a driver who parked a half block
ahead today? I maybe should have busted his mirror off, too.

We have a bicycle path that was built just for bicyclists here in Seattle so
why do you two wheelers have to travel on roads that are not wide enough to
accommadate you?

Silly thing -- bikes are already much narrower than cars. How much
narrower do you want them to be?

Today I had my fill. On a long narrow barely two lane road to a local beach,
several macho bikers were holding up a long line of traffic so they could prove
their manliness. We all have to share the roads but I pay my highway taxes and
you guys don't pay a damn thing!

So, this is it, isn't it? You're mad because you couldn't go
decadently luxuriantly fast, like in the TV commercials.

After seeing the rudness and crudness of the
display of macho egos and selfish attitudes you all have lost my respect!!!

Actually, I don't think we ever had your respect in the first place.
As for "macho egos and selfish attitudes", maybe you deserve that
busted-off mirror after all.

Just watch out because if I am ever on that road with you guys I am not moving
over! You can ride in the ditch for all I care. I was not even one of the car
being held up!

Horrors!! For how dreadfully long?! At a walking pace for 5 minutes,
or worse?

I was going the other way and could see the concern on the
other drivers faces while these Yahoos on two wheels smugly pedeled UP the
dangerous road from Golden Gardens.

Gardens are lovely.

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old February 23rd 04, 05:35 AM
Badger_South

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:07:23 -0500, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

[...]

Since this person seems to be a real, reasonable person, may I suggest a
-bit- of exaggeration to make the point? It takes a pretty good slam to
"bash off the side view mirror", and it would cause an injury to the
cyclist, as well as causing him to absorb the energy.

To be fair, how did said cyclist do this bashing? With his hand? Elbow?
Foot? You don't have to answer, Ellen, just maybe back off on that part;
it's understandable to exaggerate if it scared you. Later you say 'bang on
your car'. Did he both bash off the mirror AND in the same stroke bang on
your car? Oh-oh. Made a little tactical error there, eh? (OK, I'm giving
you a hard time, but I, if it really happened then I apologize.)

At first it sounded like she was parked "rode by my car...", but I guess it
was drifting if she was moving.

Did you report the vandalism to the police? No? Well, in the future, make a
police report. They can track down the guy and issue him a citation.

Best,

-B

Old February 23rd 04, 05:43 AM
Luigi de Guzman

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:35:43 -0500, Badger_South
wrote:

Since this person seems to be a real, reasonable person, may I suggest a
-bit- of exaggeration to make the point? It takes a pretty good slam to
"bash off the side view mirror", and it would cause an injury to the
cyclist, as well as causing him to absorb the energy.

To be fair, how did said cyclist do this bashing? With his hand? Elbow?
Foot?

Frame pump. A Zefal HPx will do considerable damage in the hands of a
cornered roadie. I have never had to unlimber mine in anger--only for
punctures.

You don't have to answer, Ellen, just maybe back off on that part;
it's understandable to exaggerate if it scared you. Later you say 'bang on
your car'. Did he both bash off the mirror AND in the same stroke bang on
your car? Oh-oh. Made a little tactical error there, eh? (OK, I'm giving
you a hard time, but I, if it really happened then I apologize.)

At first it sounded like she was parked "rode by my car...", but I guess it
was drifting if she was moving.

Molasses traffic, B. Cyclist was filtering through on one side or
other. Or all traffic moving at nearly the same speed--I can imagine
this taking place at around 15 miles an hour on a busy road. In fact,
I've ridden in this sort of thing.

-Luigi

Old February 23rd 04, 05:56 AM
Badger_South

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:43:49 -0500, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

To be fair, how did said cyclist do this bashing? With his hand? Elbow?
Foot?

Frame pump. A Zefal HPx will do considerable damage in the hands of a
cornered roadie. I have never had to unlimber mine in anger--only for
punctures.

Luigi, you givin' ideas to the loyal opposition. I -know- you know the
answer, heh, I'm asking her.

Reminds me of the time we were showing off our daughter's knowledge at the
family gathering and asked her how many bears were in the Goldilocks story.

Well, dear old Dad (my father) chirps up and hollars out "Three!" and looks
all happy.

I said, 'DAD!, we -know- you know the answer..'

He was all like, crestfallen, so I had to go over and pet him on the head.
;-)

-B

Old February 23rd 04, 05:58 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On 23 Feb 2004 03:16:50 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc,
(Goodwinds) wrote:

We have a bicycle path that was built just for bicyclists here in Seattle so
why do you two wheelers have to travel on roads that are not wide enough to
accommadate you?

because the path doesn't go where cyclists need to go. because
it's legal to ride a bike on the road. it's the law. get used
to it.

Today I had my fill. On a long narrow barely two lane road to a local beach,
several macho bikers were holding up a long line of traffic so they could prove
their manliness.

that had nothing to do with it. they probably took the lane on a
road with blind curves, BECAUSE THE LUNKHEADS IN CARS BEHIND THEM
CAN'T SEE YOU COMING AROUND THE CORNER, and it was unsafe to
pass. it's perfectly legal to do so, and it's good riding
practice. it's also good riding practice to wave the traffic
behind past once the way ahead is clear.

We all have to share the roads but I pay my highway taxes and
you guys don't pay a damn thing!

Cyclists pay taxes like everyone else, and most own cars. We pay
a lot more than you do.

After seeing the rudness and crudness of the
display of macho egos and selfish attitudes you all have lost my respect!!!

oh, we never had it anyway.

Just watch out because if I am ever on that road with you guys I am not moving
over! You can ride in the ditch for all I care.

you'll really love the bill when my attorney and the cops are
done with you.

bikes belong on the road. it's the law. get used to it.
When the going gets tough, the tough get on a bicycle!
http://www.velonews.com/tour2003/gal...es/4630.0.html
Dennis P. Harris
http://www.ejuneau.net